GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would chose the 20s EVO.

Seems it’s the latest design. The flip up antenna of the other one seems old school and unnecessarily complicated.
My friend Jammer has the old style flip up antenna and says he never flips it up anymore and it seems to work the same up or down, but yes seems the flip thing is probably just sort of a worthless gimmick that I’d rather not have.

I kinda suspect the plain 20S with flip antenna has been discontinued and replace with the 20S EVO

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I haven’t ruled it out, not having to go through the pairing deal would be great, but isn’t that only with other 30K units ? If u wanted to communicate with someone using a 20S wouldn’t you still have to pair first ? Sorry if those seem like stupid questions but This stuff is all new to me and after reading the literature I’m even more confused.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well I haven’t ruled it out, not having to go through the pairing deal would be great, but isn’t that only with other 30K units ? If u wanted to communicate with someone using a 20S wouldn’t you still have to pair first ? Sorry if those seem like stupid questions but This stuff is all new to me and after reading the literature I’m even more confused.
The self organizing, self healing wifi mesh is only between 30ks. However, 30k does bluetooth too and each 30k will pair with at least a couple of 20 series (S or EVO?) so mixed use (wifi mesh and BT) is definitely a capability.

Probably some things to fret about on the margin (power use in the mixed net, how many 20s (will a 30k work with 3, 4, 5?), but unless you have a very specific need, I think you're wise to look at the 30.

Note current 30k does not seem to have audio multitasking yet. So if I use it to listen to radio, I can't hear my GPS directions. But I will get a phone call. I'm sure it will sort out in firmware updates, but it is a bit bleeding edge now. Though the mesh holds much promise and works GREAT for the groups I've been riding with. Much less finicky than pairing a gaggle of 20s.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
. . . . . after reading the literature I’m even more confused.
That would make at least two of us.

I tend not to spend money when I'm confused about the product.

I like the Mesh functioning of the 30K but the battery life sounds like a real problem and Big_Bird also brought up the multitasking issue. So I can wait a few product cycles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
30K Multitasking

I'm looking at the 30K as being the future for Sena. My understanding is that Multitasking only works while using mesh intercom. The Sena instructional video on YouTube stated that they may add it to Bluetooth in future firmware updates, but I'm not counting on it. I picked up a pair as Christmas gifts for my wife and I over black Friday. Have to wait till after the holidays to try them out...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'm looking at the 30K as being the future for Sena. My understanding is that Multitasking only works while using mesh intercom. The Sena instructional video on YouTube stated that they may add it to Bluetooth in future firmware updates, but I'm not counting on it. I picked up a pair as Christmas gifts for my wife and I over black Friday. Have to wait till after the holidays to try them out...
I don't understand that. Since only other 30Ks are on mesh, there is no need for multitasking unless you enable Bluetooth. Anything I want to multitask with -- phone, media player, alerts, GPS, etc., will have BT. Almost by definition.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't understand that. Since only other 30Ks are on mesh, there is no need for multitasking unless you enable Bluetooth. Anything I want to multitask with -- phone, media player, alerts, GPS, etc., will have BT. Almost by definition.
Not sure yet, but I think if you have the GPS on Bluetooth, and using mesh for intercom, the GPS will still be heard via multitasking. It's only when you're paired with to another intercom using Bluetooth only that the multitasking doesn't work. Again, not sure as I won't be aloud to use the 30K until after Santa brings it down the chimney:wink2:

·
Registered
821 Posts
What we’d like to do is have my iPhone paired with my unit, my wife’s iPhone paired with hers and to be able to talk without pushing a button.

We’re not interested in communicating with others on their bikes, connecting the bike’s system to it or anything else.

What Sena device(s) will do this (if any)?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
What we’d like to do is have my iPhone paired with my unit, my wife’s iPhone paired with hers and to be able to talk without pushing a button.

We’re not interested in communicating with others on their bikes, connecting the bike’s system to it or anything else.

Thanks,

20s, works like a charm for your goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks, MisterK. Looks like a perfect solution for us.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The 30k should pair up to multiple 20s via the Sena app. I would have bought the 30k had it been on the market.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts

Thanks,
You need two (one for you, one for her) of basically any of the helmet intercom systems they make. https://www.sena.com/product-category/motorcycles-powersports/communication/

Get the same model for both of you. So you don't have to figure out how to work two different models, and because the models work better with each other. Many models come in a dual pack that is a good bit cheaper. The older models will be more prominent in the used market but I'd make sure you were buying legit used at a significant discount, rather than just buying new-ish at a tiny discount from some clown on eBay.

You decide your price point and choose model and new vs used accordingly. There are some incremental gains, and some huge gains, across different models depending on what matters to you and how thrifty you are. Key distinctions:

- The 20S was a significant update over the original SMH10, very much worth looking at because the mic, speakers, and functionality were much improved.
- The 30K is a game changer on top of that because of the wifi mesh which works an order of magnitude better for group intercom. But same mic, speaker, antenna tech as the 20EVO
- The 20EVO is an incremental hardware update to the 20S. Slight improvement to 20S, still inferior to 30K.
- I think (not sure) the 10S trickles down some of the speaker and mic improvements of the 20S into the old 10 line. It will be a significant update over the SMH10
- other models do cameras, low profile, etc. You may not care, I don't either.

If you want bike audio, also get an SM10 and a Honda 5 pin DIN adapter. Turns your headset jack output into a BT dual stream. You do NOT need the Freewire unless you want to talk on CB; Freewire costs double what an SM10 does, and only streams to one helmet.

P.S. don't squander $$ on the latest stuff that doesn't matter to you, but don't go broke saving money. A used SMH10 is a TON cheaper than a new 30K. But a 30K dual pack is in the same ball park as 2 x 20EVO singles. I think there are a lot of current new 20 buyers that, if they ride with groups at all, in a year when the wifi mesh has trickled out and gained more of a presence, will regret they didn't spend a few bucks more for the 30k. My SWAG.

·
Registered
821 Posts
... of basically any of the helmet intercom systems they make.

- The 20S was a significant update over the original SMH10, very much worth looking at because the mic, speakers, and functionality were much improved.
- The 30K is a game changer on top of that because of the wifi mesh which works an order of magnitude better for group intercom. But same mic, speaker, antenna tech as the 20EVO
- The 20EVO is an incremental hardware update to the 20S. Slight improvement to 20S, still inferior to 30K.
- I think (not sure) the 10S trickles down some of the speaker and mic improvements of the 20S into the old 10 line. It will be a significant update over the SMH10
- other models do cameras, low profile, etc. You may not care, I don't either.
Thanks, Big Bird. We own the SMH10, so we know a little about Sena. However, your list is great! Also, the SMH10 does not do "handsfree" intercom. You have to press the big button to engage/disengage the intercom.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Sena 20S / EVO

I initially did not fiddle with the multitasking threshold and mic placement enough to get it to work properly. However, after moving the mic and setting the threshold appropriately, I find I really like being able to have the intercom active and still listen to music / CB / GPS / ?.
I personally would not buy a 30K until they had the multitasking working. Now that I have it working properly, I find it to be very beneficial.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts