GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
That's what I am referring to. In the headset, they refer to it as sidetone. It is essentially the same thing - hearing yourself with latency. Too bad they can't fix it, especially since no one using a Freewire is using it for the intercom.
Turn off side tone using the APP in the settings for the 20s. You will no longer hear your own voice....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Turn off side tone using the APP in the settings for the 20s. You will no longer hear your own voice....
You cannot turn off the echo when using the Freewire if the bike intercom is on. Unfortunately, my Ham radio operates through the intercom so I can't turn it off. To clarify, this is different from the sidetone generated by the 20s itself.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Product cycles

Good for someone like you but pretty lousy for someone that’s nearly computer illiterate like me , and I think that’s a pretty high percentage of the population.
It allows products to go to market faster and it also allows money from initial sales to partially fund the development. If products were thoroughly tested before they came to market we would be using tin cans and string to communicate between riders. :wink2: Building products in software has both advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It allows products to go to market faster and it also allows money from initial sales to partially fund the development. If products were thoroughly tested before they came to market we would be using tin cans and string to communicate between riders. :wink2: Building products in software has both advantages and disadvantages.
It's thinking like this that ran Pete at Bike MP3 right out of business. Products can be and are well tested before coming to market. This is what distinguishes the quick & eventually broke from the nimble but on-the-money long-term dividend-payers.

Where there are non-critical areas for improvement, (not glaring imperfections) I agree that getting to market is more important than being "perfect".

David

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Balance

It's thinking like this that ran Pete at Bike MP3 right out of business. Products can be and are well tested before coming to market. This is what distinguishes the quick & eventually broke from the nimble but on-the-money long-term dividend-payers.

Where there are non-critical areas for improvement, (not glaring imperfections) I agree that getting to market is more important than being "perfect".

David
It is a delicate balance and it is a critical component of product success. How much you test, how many bugs you put up with in the delivered product and how many people are upset at those bugs are all significant questions. It still comes back to when to deliver a product. If you deliver a great product too late, you have no customers. If you deliver a feature-filled product before it is ready for prime time you lose your customers. One person's fatal flaw in something like a BT headset is another person's minor irritation, so the determination of what is "well tested" is far from simple.

It will be interesting to see how well tested the 2018 GL1800 turns out to be.

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
You cannot turn off the echo when using the Freewire if the bike intercom is on. Unfortunately, my Ham radio operates through the intercom so I can't turn it off. To clarify, this is different from the sidetone generated by the 20s itself.
Now I understand - you are not using a normal configuration. What happens if you turn the intercom volume all the way down - does it also turn down the volume to the HAM radio?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Now I understand - you are not using a normal configuration. What happens if you turn the intercom volume all the way down - does it also turn down the volume to the HAM radio?
That's actually what I've been doing. Turn down the intercom and turn up the ham radio volume. I'm not sure how it is affecting the transmission volume, however, so I need to do a few tests.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I wish it were as simple as the "old" systems of just 'plug and play' and you had no problems at all.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wish it were as simple as the "old" systems of just 'plug and play' and you had no problems at all.
But, then it wouldn't be technology, it would be a hack...

·
Registered
821 Posts
What we’d like to do is have my iPhone paired with my unit, my wife’s iPhone paired with hers and to be able to talk without pushing a button.

We’re not interested in communicating with others on their bikes, connecting the bike’s system to it or anything else.

What Sena device(s) will do this (if any)?

Thanks,
As an update, I went to Revzilla and put a dual-pack 20s into the cart. When I went to the cart, I was looking at the photos and began to wonder whether they would work on our Schubert C3s. I did some research with Google and really couldn't find the answer - some say it works and some say it doesn't (location of the mic issue).

I then started a chat with Revzilla and their answer is that in their testing the low profile of the Schubert C3 to the shoulders made it so the 20s would not work with these helmets. I asked if there were any that would work and would allow the intercom to always be active and they said no.

A bit disappointed, but "it is what it is" as they say.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I think Sena make the audio pack for the Schubert, Seems I remember reading that on their web site, but it's $$$ for the custom fit on the Schubert helmets. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. That is why I went with HJC.

·
Registered
821 Posts
They do have a Schubert unit, but this unit does not have the ability to have the intercom on all the time.

Ours are the BMW branded units. I’m pretty sure these are not Sena’s (we have some 10s on older open face helmets) because it’s really tricky and difficult to get everything paired properly - nothing like the Senas we have.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Schuberth C3 Pro here with Sena 20S. No problem. Works great. I don't think the differences between C3 and C3 Pro are things that would impact the Sena.

Had to use the sticky mount rather than the clamp mount that I would have preferred, but no issues.

I'm trying to figure out what Revzilla is talking about with low profile. As in low on the outer helmet and smacking into a jacket collar? Or ear pockets are not that deep and speakers bulge into your ears? I'm not having either of those problems, though I don't have an Elvis collar or Alfred E. Neumann ears.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The “low profile” was in regards to the neck.

BB, do you have the boom-mic? How does that work? Do you just place it under and into the helmet (kind of U shape)?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The 20S comes with several mics. One is a boom that plugs into and projects from the base unit. Another is a boom that has a little adhesive base and a short wire lead. You use that second one with the C3 Pro (and C3, I'd bet). The sticky base attaches to the inside of the shell behind the cheekpad, and the boom runs out between the cheekpad and shell then out in front of your face, which places it inside the chin bar when it comes down. The only thing that needs to make the little U turn jump to the outside that I think you're asking about is the bit of wire that plugs into the unit base stuck to the outside of the helmet.

P.S. that's my 30k in the pic, but it is the base, mic, & speakers from my 20s. The same mount works for both.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Big_Bird, did you order from Sena or some place else? I haven’t seen the extra mic in the photos at Revzilla, so I.m trying to make sure I order from the right place. But your setup is exactly what I want.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts