GL1800Riders Forums banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm in the same boat as LEBoyd. I want to pair my phone to my head set and my wifes to hers. So how can we talk to each other without pushing an intercom button? I also want to run my Zumo 550 and have it only feed directions into my headset and and be able for each of us to listen to our own music in our own headsets. Is this possible with the Sena 20 EVO??
That's exactly how my wife and I use them with the addition of aFreewire for myself so I can monitor my Ham Radio that is wired through the bike intercom. The 20s is a bit quirky at times but usually works well in the situation you describe.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
We used to have the (older?) SMH10s, purchased in 2014. These did not support the talking to each other without pushing the button. Now we have the 20s (can't remember if they are the EVOs).

These are on our Schuberth modular helmets. The only thing you need to watch out for is that you make sure the mic and boom are inside the helmet *before* you close them :)
Yes they do. https://support.sena.com/hc/en-us/articles/214613866-SMH10-Using-the-VOX-Intercom-feature-
You need to enable VOX / voice activated intercom.
Whether you can get it to work acceptably for you with the right amount of sensitivity and noise is another thing, but they do VOX.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is undoubtably the best conversation regarding SENA ever. Thanks Big Bird for all the feedback and explanations. We have been trying to decipher all the information regarding the 20 versus the 30. Always enjoy reading your responses Big Bird.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Im very old school, i will stick with my wires. I guess by the time i buy a new bike and have to switch,,everything will be worked out.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Im very old school, i will stick with my wires. I guess by the time i buy a new bike and have to switch,,everything will be worked out.
I thought the same as you back in Oct. when the new Wing was first launched..but now that I have used the Sena 20s Evo, the BT system is pretty nice and I got to admit its much nicer not to have to hook up the wires everytime you get on and off the bike. The BT connection with bike to bike is very nice too and all and all is as nice as the CB was with my old wing with just another bike connected, but a whole lot cheaper than the CB system. The Sena set up and pairing is easy and I'm very happy with the performance of the Sena 20s Evo with my 2018 Gold Wing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So, the 20s is the same as the EVO...except the antenna design. From what I understood though, the 20s had/has static issues...is that correct? I'm trying to decide between the two. I pick up my '18 on Saturday...

Yes. Exactly what they're designed for.

Choose 20s or 2os EVO based on price, it's a coin flip for a performance difference that you'll notice, slight pref to EVO.

Really all the models will work. But it doesn't sound like you'll be going mesh so don't splurge for the 30k and have to take on its other issues. Though the smh10 is cheaper, the 20 models have better mic circuitry for noise canc and voice activation that probably will matter to you. That will be the key to your "not push a button" thing -- if you're wearing full face or modular helmets, you'll be fine, but with open face you may get wind noise that makes it think an intercom conversation is on and wind up suppressing the music. Adjust the VOX sensitivity and/or shelter the mic or learn to turn the intercom on/off (one tap of big button, easy).

-------
P.S. I ran into this issue again today and realized my phrasing in the drive-by above is misleading. Adding info to clarify.
- Intercom VOX sensitivity is a setting to enable you to use your voice to direct the gizmo to connect to the last connected intercom.
- SMH-10 has it. 20s does not. It has a separate voice command to turn on disconnected intercoms. Better.
- None of that really matters most of the time. What folks really want is not turning the connection on/off, but rather:
a) an always on intercom circuit
b) with no one having an always open/hot mic
c) and your music, etc. plays normally except when someone is talking, then it gets quiet until the conversation is done and comes back on.

The key to always on intercom, particularly for the 20s, then is not VOX sensitivity. It is another setting called "audio overlay sensitivity" -- basically how touchy the thing is for detecting when there's a live conversation on the intercom and suppressing your other audio sources (audio multitasking) until the intercom conversation is done.

If that's makes your head explode, welcome to the club. C'est la vie.

Some more info here and probably better here and by googling using those terms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, the 20s is the same as the EVO...except the antenna design. From what I understood though, the 20s had/has static issues...is that correct? I'm trying to decide between the two. I pick up my '18 on Saturday...

The 20S EVO also includes an improved intercom stability and range while riding in groups and a better microphone compared to the 20S.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts