GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sena is offering a $150 trade in. I wonder if this is to try to keep the customers who have had trouble with the 30K. I have taken advantage and traded in all 3 of our 30K’s. The upgraded software on the 30K’s is much better but with the trade in you are getting newer battery’s and better speakers.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good deal. The link is attached. We still own a pair of 10's that work just fine for our needs. These are not part of the deal anyway. We use ear buds therefore the sound quality is superb. (y)

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Sena is offering a $150 trade in. I wonder if this is to try to keep the customers who have had trouble with the 30K. I have taken advantage and traded in all 3 of our 30K’s. The upgraded software on the 30K’s is much better but with the trade in you are getting newer battery’s and better speakers.
Yet, a few reviews haven't been stellar for the 50's either. Too bad, I was really hoping they were going to get their proverbial crap together.

So.....I'm wondering the plan is going to be that the 30's that are being traded in will go into the refurb pile at some later date and become available. 🤣

Anybody got a 50S they want to comment on?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've been watching this deal with some interest.

I'm VERY surprised that the 30k firmware update seems to give it full mesh 2.0 features -- the various channels (new terms) that replace the old public/private mesh (old term). From an earlier press release I thought the updated 30k was only going to do public.

I'm sure there are some incremental gains with the 50 in the hardware. Speakers are said to be better but I run with ear buds that are much better than helmet speakers so I don't really care.

I'd like to hear an expert review. But even if they say there is nothing bad, absent a crazy upside I haven't envisioned the most possible upside good I've heard that I care about is better voice commands to the phone (Hey Google/Siri). I don't think I want that enough to pony up $190 ($340 minus $150 rebate). I'm still chafed from taking a ride on Sena's disappointing release & update train with the 30k, which took a year and a half of firmware updates for them to get it mostly working without major defect, so I'm not thrilled about leaning forward on this one. It's a good deal, but not good enough.

If they offered that same deal for my wife's 20s, I'd take it.

·
Vendor
21,569 Posts
I sold my 30K's at a $200 loss and went back to the 20S a couple years ago. The whole 30K experience was a huge exercise in frustration for me. They based the bluetooth hardware inside it on the old Sena 10 unit, and there was no way to fix that with a firmware upgrade. This killed the bluetooth intercom functionality, and took it a step backwards from the Sena 20 models.

Hopefully the new 50 model will be better, but after my experience with the 30K, I'm gun shy now. I think I'll wait to see what Cardo comes out with to respond to the new Sena model.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
I'm sure there are some incremental gains with the 50 in the hardware. Speakers are said to be better but I run with ear buds that are much better than helmet speakers so I don't really care.
Allegedly (as I read on another forum...), someone reviewed the FCC data; there's two BT chips, rather than one, in the 50 series devices.

There's an embargo on the full set of data until July it would seem.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Allegedly (as I read on another forum...), someone reviewed the FCC data; there's two BT chips, rather than one, in the 50 series devices.

There's an embargo on the full set of data until July it would seem.
Any idea what that does for me? Other than twice as much. ;)

Or why they would want to offer a rebate in the first place, but embargo the data until after the rebate window closes? It just seems to be getting stranger. When I first heard about the rebate I thought they might be semi-admitting the 30k was a mistake. Now I wonder if the 50 is and they're trying to push a rope using the rebate.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I run Cardo now and really like them. We talk with twenty riders together every Tuesday. The only thing I would like to see is a switch to turn off the mic so if it’s a windy day we all don’t have to listen to wind or if the guy is a heavy breather he can turn it off until he wants to talk. I really hope they will come up with a standard that allows Sena and Cardo to mesh together so riders have a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Any idea what that does for me? Other than twice as much. ;)
Speculation Only: The lower-powered device (3mW) is for short range use. Say rider/passenger? Intercom and perhaps high-quality shared music, along with the ability for more reliable mesh communication using the 55mW chip output? :unsure:

Or why they would want to offer a rebate in the first place, but embargo the data until after the rebate window closes? It just seems to be getting stranger. When I first heard about the rebate I thought they might be semi-admitting the 30k was a mistake. Now I wonder if the 50 is and they're trying to push a rope using the rebate.
Data embargo simply keeps others (oh, like maybe, competitors) from 100% figuring out what it is you did. Certainly, speculation on the part of the other major players in the game to understand just how much Sena has pushed the limits on BT technology. Had they pushed a bit too far with the 30 series? Is that why they released the 50's - roughly 2.5 years after the release of the 30k?

NOTE: My study of the topic is simply to get a bit smarter for a friend of mine who is considering going in this direction. What a mess...

·
Vendor
21,569 Posts
I run Cardo now and really like them. We talk with twenty riders together every Tuesday. The only thing I would like to see is a switch to turn off the mic so if it’s a windy day we all don’t have to listen to wind or if the guy is a heavy breather he can turn it off until he wants to talk. I really hope they will come up with a standard that allows Sena and Cardo to mesh together so riders have a choice.
Open mic's are the nemesis of any intercom system, and VOX circuits are always problematic. This is why I like the older Sena 20 units, either rider or passengar can reach up and push the center button and it toggles on and off the mics on BOTH rider and passenger helmets. This way either rider or passengar can simply turn off both mics at the end of a conversation, and if someone needs to say something, it is very easy to toggle them both back on.

Back in the late 90's Autocom developed a really good VOX system that used an extra microphone that you would put in the back of your helmet and would measure wind noise, and then would be used to compare against the mic in front of your mouth. It would automatically adjust the VOX trip point based on the current amount of wind noise, and it virtually eliminated the problem of the VOX circuit tripping from wind noise. They also had some of the best wind filter circuits in the industry, you could reliable talk at well over triple digits, and they were used on tracks all over the world.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
@kwthom, oh, I guess the embargo you're talking about is FCC data not press. My bad. But I'm still going with conspiracy theory! Ha ha.

On the "two BT chips" -- probably a comment from Captain Obvious here, but the 30k and the 50 have both BT and mesh and require two "systems" to support them. Extrapolating that simple fact into an area I don't know what the heck I'm talking about: might chip number 2 be mesh-related rather than BTx2? OTOH, they're moving up to BT 5 and trying to make it all mo betta, so perhaps there's more water to carry in the BT world.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
^ @Fred H. , yes! Hot mics are the curse of humanity. I spent many magic moments in my LAV-25 cursing at knuckleheads who left their intercom toggled (and therefore prevented radio out) and plenty of time hunting down someone elsewhere on the net who reversed their connection and stepped on the radio net the same way. As an aggressor, I would often resort to that trick and paralyze the blue side's comms.

I've had a few flash backs to that in 30k groups. It's nice you can shut your own mic off for the mesh net. But there is no option to push out a trouble maker short of turning off mesh, and then no one can mesh-bump you back like with the BT re-connect. On the other hand, the mesh is a LOT quieter than a BT daisy chain (even mesh 1.0) and you still had the option to barge in by BT if you were paired. Could go either way.

I've updated my 30k to mesh 2.0 but haven't done any group stuff with it. A few friends gave their updated 30ks a test drive and said it works MUCH better, though it was only a small group of 3 and only on the open channel. Like me, they want to get the best out of it and make it work but are a bit jaded with all the hype and hassle and won't guzzle the Kool-Aid.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yet, a few reviews haven't been stellar for the 50's either. Too bad, I was really hoping they were going to get their proverbial crap together.

So.....I'm wondering the plan is going to be that the 30's that are being traded in will go into the refurb pile at some later date and become available. 🤣

Anybody got a 50S they want to comment on?
After 80 miles yesterday with the 50S here are my thoughts. First I was using 1.0 firmware after I got home Sena came out with 1.0.1 firmware.
the mic picked up a lot of wind withmy face shield up. I lowered the mic and it helped. The new speakers are bette. Mesh 2 is better. There will be no riding today as it is pouring outside.
overall I am happy with the 50S.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The new speakers seem to be thicker. The biggest problems with the 30K for me was learning and understanding the unit and the short battery life. Sena says that they will be coming out with a coiled cord for the Powerbank, until then the 50 series has a cord that can be used. If you are thinking about the 50R check what comes with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw some reliable info that the 50R does NOT come with a jack for earbuds; there is an extra adapter gizmo you can use.

50S supports earbuds.

I e-mailed Sena when the 50 series were first announced and that is what they told me.

I had the old SMH10R for several years and loved it until the litle wires broke. I tried the 30K and the 20S and was not happy with them, sent them back to Amazon. ended up wtih the 10S because I have a Bell helmet with the recess for it. But the Sena/Bell mount didn't hold the unit tightly and I ended up going back to the standard 10S mount. The only way I can hear anything above 40 MPH is to wear some Plugphone ear buds. If it doesn't have a jack for ear buds I'm not spending my money on any Sena product. The audio just isn't loud enough for my deaf ears.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sena has released a second update for the 50 series headsets. This is typical of new products since if they fully test for everything that is needed it will be out of date before it hits the shelves. Today both me and my wife will be using 50 series headsets.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After riding today the original problems seem to be fixed. We used the stereo and Mesh with out any cutting out that was there with the first time. It does have better sound then the 30k. This maybe because of the better speakers. Those will be available in the future.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does the 50 series work on the 20s & 30k mounts?
I have several mounts on various helmets. For me, the 30k works fine especially using mesh 2.0.. The trade in might just work for us.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
^ almost certain the 50R does NOT work with 20/30 mounts.

I saw something that said the 50S physical mount was the same but the pin outs were different. Be sure whoever you listen to has done some testing beyond it simply clipping in. I don't know what the answer is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts