GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
Bluetooth technology is going to continue to change, and I suspect that in a few more years, we may have some really good options available as this technology matures. Hopefully Honda will keep pace and provide firmware updates for the bike that make the bike side of it better as well. I may skip over a generation (or two) of headsets as they evolve, but I'll be keeping an eye on reports of how these new versions work out. I really want to see what Cardo comes out with to compete with the new Sena unit.

What really should be done, is the bike-to-bike portion of the comm package should be moved out of the headsets and into the bike. This would allow you to have a higher power output without taxing the battery in the headset, as well as a better antenna. They also need to incorporate a simple push-to-talk switch for all bike-to-bike comms. This would solve all the issues of wind noise and spurious transmissions when using group communication bike-to-bike. Rider to passengar comm is ok to have on a VOX, but all bike-to-bike comm should be deliberately initiated through a simple PTT switch.

I wish Honda would hire me to help them out with the design of the Audio, Nav, and comm systems for this bike. There are so many things I could fix really easily.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
^ I wish they'd hire you, too.

Though two thoughts on some potential future disappointment:
-- integrated GPS has never fared well. Why would integrated comm be better?
- Transmit power could be much improved but will only go so far before the FCC

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Bluetooth technology is going to continue to change, and I suspect that in a few more years, we may have some really good options available as this technology matures. Hopefully Honda will keep pace and provide firmware updates for the bike that make the bike side of it better as well.
As you know, BT is a combination of both hardware and software.

For perspective, the first consumer BT came out over 20 years ago. Those incremental changes on how BT has evolved now have us with BT 5.0 (released in 2017). All of those fancy features may still not be adequate for use in this specific application; multi-channel RF links for motorcycle applications.

What is BT 6.0 going to do for us four or five years from now that BT 5.0 can't do today?

🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
FYI, to take advantage of the buy back you have to purchase direct from Sena at full MSRP HOME - BuySena.com ($340 for a single, $600 for a dual set).
Dual set is not eligible. For the rebate, your only choice is pay top dollar for the single set, and then tack on $17 S&H. It really takes the edge off the "good" deal.

I had decided to opt out of the 30k. When it opened to 20s, I traded one of those in.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
Dual set is not eligible. For the rebate, your only choice is pay top dollar for the single set, and then tack on $17 S&H. It really takes the edge off the "good" deal.

I had decided to opt out of the 30k. When it opened to 20s, I traded one of those in.
Seems like this deal gets worse and worse as the details come out. If you have two 20S units, can you get two rebates for trade in, or are you limited to just one?

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
Absence of mini stereo jack will be a deal killer for me even with Sena 90SEvo. High quality flanged ear buds are a must for signal to noise and hearing preservation.

prs

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
Good. That is one thing Garmin missed on the new Zumo.

prs

21 - 33 of 33 Posts