GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with experience using the Sena 30K with the GL1833? Do they connect with the bike as well as the 20S EVO?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had the 20s worked great. Have the 30k and works just as well with the bike. The mesh intercom is the only real difference, and it is worth it if you’ve got other riders with them. If not stick with the 20s as you don’t really get any benefit unless others in your riding group have them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
They are the same as in the 20s, which is to say just ok. I’ve used custom molded earplugs with speakers in them for several years now and would never go back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Started my communicator journey back in 1998 with a Chatterbox. Moved to Sena SMH-10 then onto Sena 20S then multiple iterations of 20S EVO......Our
group now uses the new Packtalk Bold JBL and in my opinion works the best. Crystal clear popcorn free interference no matter how many riders in the group. Mesh works perfectly with people coming and going from the group with no muss no fuss and the JBL speakers sound fantastic. Sena wont be seeing my money ever again.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the Cardo Packtalk Bold and be done with it. Throw the Senas away.
I did that....purchased the Cardo Packtalk Bolds, a pair of them with the JBL speakers.
Had a bunch of issues with them and worked with Cardo for 2-weeks via email and phone.
Every time I used intercom mode it would not reconnect to the bike unless I cycled power on them.
They could not find a solution......After their last ridiculous comment of trying an Android phone I returned them. I gave them a chance, big fail for me.

I purchased a pair of Sena 20S Evos.

Simple and they just work great with the new Goldwing......zero issues.
Just need to be a little careful with them in a downpour.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
I did that....purchased the Cardo Packtalk Bolds, a pair of them with the JBL speakers.
Had a bunch of issues with them and worked with Cardo for 2-weeks via email and phone.
Every time I used intercom mode it would not reconnect to the bike unless I cycled power on them.
They could not find a solution......After their last ridiculous comment of trying an Android phone I returned them. I gave them a chance, big fail for me.

I purchased a pair of Sena 20S Evos.

Simple and they just work great with the new Goldwing......zero issues.
Just need to be a little careful with them in a downpour.
Brian, this is the first problem I've heard reported with the Cardo Paktalk Bold units. Sorry to hear this, as I thought maybe the Cardos worked better than the Sena unit. When you say "Intercom Mode" does this refer to a Bluetooth intercom mode or a Mesh mode?

·
Registered
155 Posts
There are not many riders I think that uses the intercom all the time. I do me and my wife, intercom always on, but with the sena's(20 S Evo) I had a problem with the zumo 396. But it was the garmin that was the problem. He stopped speaking after a while. Another problem of the sena 20 S Evo is not watertight. That's why I changed now to the sena SRL an with the Goldwing I have no problem. I did not buy the cardo beacause in Mesh mode the battery is dead after 5 to 6 hour's. On my trips I do with my companion we ride sometimes 12 hours. The SRL no problem.
Now I'm waiting on the zumo XT. Hope this work fine with the SRL.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Brian, this is the first problem I've heard reported with the Cardo Paktalk Bold units. Sorry to hear this, as I thought maybe the Cardos worked better than the Sena unit. When you say "Intercom Mode" does this refer to a Bluetooth intercom mode or a Mesh mode?
Fred,
I tried it both in mesh and Bluetooth, did the same in both modes........it would connect intercoms just fine but then it would never connect back to the bike's audio.
I tried a bunch of different connection configurations and ways to pair the headset to the bike, all under direction of Cardo.
Nothing worked.......had to cycle power on the headsets to reconnect.
I got frustrated with the time commitment to make sometihing simple work and eventually the ridiculous responses from Cardo.
No idea if I got some bum headsets, both did the same thing, or if it's some sort of design bug?

I gave up and went back to a proven to work format.......the Sena 20S Evo.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I have the Sena S20 Evo and water has not been a problem for me..heck in 2018 if I didnt ride in the rain I would had hardly ridden that year. I've done 300 miles in the pouring rain with no issues at all with the Sena S20 Evo.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
Fred,
I tried it both in mesh and Bluetooth, did the same in both modes........it would connect intercoms just fine but then it would never connect back to the bike's audio.
I tried a bunch of different connection configurations and ways to pair the headset to the bike, all under direction of Cardo.
Nothing worked.......had to cycle power on the headsets to reconnect.
I got frustrated with the time commitment to make sometihing simple work and eventually the ridiculous responses from Cardo.
No idea if I got some bum headsets, both did the same thing, or if it's some sort of design bug?

I gave up and went back to a proven to work format.......the Sena 20 Evo.
We currently have the Sena 20S and we use the rider to passengar intercom all the time, it is probably the single most important feature for us. So if this doesn't work on the Cardo, then that is going to be a big let down for sure.

I'd love to hear from other folks that are using the Paktalk bold and if they are able to use the rider to passenger intercom without issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had a 30K for two years. After my iPhone iOS update, it will no longer take voice commands to my phone. Sena doesn’t seem to want to fix it , so my next communication deviance will be cardio.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have had a 30K for two years. After my iPhone iOS update, it will no longer take voice commands to my phone. Sena doesn’t seem to want to fix it , so my next communication deviance will be cardio.
I HOPE you meant "Cardo" and not cardio. WE don't want you having a heart attack Doug. LOL

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I like my short stint with the Cardo Freecom 1, nice speakers...but as soon as I found out that I could not operate the GPS and the phone at the same time I dumped it, went back to Sena20.

Which Cardo can do that: stay pair to the GPS and be able to make a phone call? With the Freecom 1, one has to get out of GPS mode and go to Phone mode...whatta a hassle.

Of course, there was a time when if I had to make a phone call I had to stop by one of those square thingies on the side of the road, insert a dime into the slot, and I even had to rotate a stupid wheel with numbers to get to make my call in...that was like caller-abuse. The phone companies would get sued for that nowadays.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Cardo gurus -- please clarify. Does the Packtalk Bold multi-task well with the mesh intercom plus your phone (calls) and phone (for media, which includes the Google Girl telling you GPS things) and a zumo?

My riding buddy switched to Cardo. She requires intercom + music when no one is talking. Couldn't figure it out. Went back to Sena. May be a device limitation; may be user error (she's a hot mess, though she reads and researches everything).

I have not used Cardo. I accept at face value that they're great for a Cardo pack, build quality, waterproof, etc.

My two experiences pairing Sena 30k to Cardo showed: a) it works fine, if that's all you do: a direct two user connection (Sena pairs the Cardo as a second phone). b) it's a non-starter because the Sena treats the Cardo intercom as a high priority phone call and you can't do anything else. That's not an indictment on Cardo. Just don't believe the nonsense that you can have a Sena-Cardo group. You have to pick sides. Beta or VHS.

My Sena 20S experience was all positive. I got onto the 30k early for the mesh, but regretted it for a year plus until they solved all the irregularities with firmware updates. Not I strongly prefer 30k over 20s. Particularly since most of my posse is now using the Sena mesh. The new Sena 50 is coming out soon, I will not touch that until 2022 after they shake the bugs out, and only if there's a strong reception and after a bunch of folks move to it for a feature I care about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had positive experiences with the SMH10's and 20 EVO's. I skipped the 30's due to issues they had out of the gate. Just wanted to mention that Sena has new models coming out this month that may be worth considering. The models are the 50S and 50R. Sena site says they will be available in April, but who knows with the Covid-19 issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had Cardo units G4, G9 and one other model. Always had trouble, help desk read a script for fixes. You could hear other customers on speaker phone complaining about the same issues I had. Do a soft reset, then a hard reset, then different microphones. Battery life was ok, but on long rides it seemed they died in a strange area while looking for the hotel. Can't use them while recharging them I will never buy Cardo again. They seemed fine until I tried Sena.

The first Sena 30k units had issues and Sena replaced them, gave me a dual kit to replace my dual. But let me keep my mounts. So I was able to have mounts on 4 helmets. Love being able to quick charge them (30 minutes gets me 80% battery). Use them while they charge. Having ridden in hellish rain, snow, hail, and heat never did they fail. There are times passing the same area (1 Mile) the sound gets bad, power off then on and all is fine. I have had them since the came out. For me Sena works. If I can see my riding friend I can talk to him, sometimes the wife objects to his comments and drops her link.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts