GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are coming to the end of a 16 day trip. The first two days, my headset would run out of battery after about eight hours. I unpaired the headset from the bike, after that, it would last as long as we rode.

I am loving the UBS charger I bought. Two headsets, and two phones charged every night, with only one receptacle required. Also the 110 volt plugs for the USB cord are not required.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the same USB charger, and use it the same way you described. Makes charging simple and saves a little space in packing. The wife and I have Sena 30K headsets and when using Mesh we get about 5-6 hrs per charge. If I’m listening to music from the bike I lose an hour min from that. We carry portable USB chargers to do a quick recharge during lunch breaks and I’ve direct connected them if the units die on longer rides. Heading out on a 10 day trip next week, so I guess I’ll figure out if 5-6 hrs works out for us. Love the 30K mesh feature when riding with friends, but kind of wished we went with the 20k for the longer battery life...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't do mesh or music. We've been over 12 hours using just intercom.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Turn your speakers off and use ear buds instead for longer battery life. FYI after 4 years the batteries in our 20S units only lasted about 4 hours .... when new 8 - 12 hours

·
Registered
332 Posts
We also have the 30k’s and two freewires. I installed a power supply inside the top case and charge all of them at once when we stop for lunch. So no trouble going all day.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
2 years ago when Sue and I knew that we would have problems we used a Sena battery. She used it for one leg in the middle of the day and I used it for another.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mine is lasting 10+ hours playing music the whole time. Not using any voice with it. It is a 5 or 6 year old 20s.

What model do you folks have that is dying this quickly? Sena had issues with the batteries in the 30 series units. They warrantied a lot of them.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have a similar charger to Rich.......

I charge (2) Sena 20S headsets, (2) iPhones, and (1) Macbook each night with one single charger.
Slick setup...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Is there a way to charge these while you are riding?
Can they be used while charging?

I have the sena 20s Evo and I use it about 2hrs each day to and from work.
I just charge it up every Friday night when I get home.
When I get a chance to ride on the weekend, I will need to charge it again on Sunday night so it lasts me the whole week. It only takes about 1 hour.

Once I forgot to charge it and it lasted until Tues or Wed the next week when it said the battery was getting low.
I would say mine is lasting a least 10 - 12 hours before a charge.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I carry 2 power packs just to charge the batteries on the Senas on long trips. Daily riding we don't have any problems, unless we forget to charge them overnight. I also have a USB adaptor connecting to my Battery Tender connection so I can plug the wife's Sena in if she looses power. I have a SM10 in the left pocket plugged into an adapter that can power the SM10 and and my 20S Evo if needed. I also have extra cords in my trunk to connect either my phone or Sena on long trips.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sena battery life

I have a pair of 3 year old 20S headsets. I used to get about 12 hours from the battery, but now it is down to about 8. I also find that charging them from a USB battery does not do quite as well as using a normal AC charger.

I keep a 5000 mAh usb battery in my jacket to charge my headset after 2 tanks of gas when I'm riding distances. Otherwise, I charge it after I have used it for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just got back from 4 weeks on the road. 30K, and only me without intercom to anyone else. Garmin 595 connected too. Playing tunes abt 25% of the time.

I commonly got 10-11 hours. When getting low she says “ Battery low”. Or some such. 5 minutes later she says “Battery low. Goodbye.” I use the same charger as WNG-2. Very slick unit. One time I forgot to charge overnight and she died at abt noon the next day. Hooked up my portable RavPower 10,000mAh quick charger ($20 when purchased) and in 10 minutes the Sena was full again. I never turn it off during the day riding. On during bfst, lunch, side hike, whatever. It does fully charge in abt an hour but I leave it on my home charger constantly even after fully charged. Doesn’t seem to hurt it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
20s and Comms

I have a Sena 20s and Jim, the guy I typically ride with has a 20s. We each have our own bikes. Our batteries last us about 10 hours of streaming music and comms.

Sometimes other riders I have ridden with seem like their mics are too sensitive and it leaves the comms open due to road noise it is picking up. Leaving the mic open all the time drains the battery faster than when it cuts in on a high voice level. (setting to adjust the sensitivity is in the app)

When operating correctly streaming audio is loud and then decreases into the background when Jim speaks or coughs or something that triggers the mic. Thus, if I can hear my music clearly mic is not open, if it is really low than the mic is open. Stating this just in case someone reading has not adjusted the mic sensitivity setting.

I have also put a USB port just above the hand brake. The main reason I have stayed with the 20s is I can use and charge at the same time. I have also used a powerpack, but with USB outlet it is not needed. Highly suggest that if you do long rides.

Just my 2 cents; hope it helps people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts