GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made multiple calls to Sena customer service and have been told yes and no. Maybe someone here can break the tie....

I have a 2015 ABS/NAV, I went Bluetooth with a Freewire and 10R headset (the 10R is 4.1) . I have both units updated and done factory resets to both and both are fully charged and I have multitasking enabled.

Riding alone all works as it should. CB rec and transmits well and FM, XM and NAV all functions thru the headset as they should.
Last Sunday I rode with a friend that has a 10U and pairing went fine and the intercom worked great. BUT once I activate the intercom my audio system (FM, XM and NAV) drops out completely until I hit the center button to end the intercom conversation.
I was told buy Sena the audio should play in the background but it does not.
For a test I turned on the FM feature in the 10R and when I go to intercom the FM plays in the background as it should.
Another call to Sena customer service today and was told the audio will NOT play in the background.

What am I missing? Should the bikes audio drop out OR play in the background?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sorry for your troubles with Sena. Their lack of customer service is one reason I went with Cardo when I upgraded. Haven't needed Cardo customer service yet. Needed Sena as soon as I received the headsets.

After a year with a pair of Packtalk Bold's, I am VERY happy with the purchase.

Never again will I buy a Sena product.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
i have the Sena product, and actually love it.....*except* the jog wheel just spins and spins, I can not set it to a loudness, and it stays there....as I ride the wheel spins, ANYWAYS I have called Sena on the problem, and their answer too me was almost like "O WELL" nothing I can do to help you....They said we can't fix that problem, and we're not sending me a new Sena, to help me with my problem...So I'm now stuck with mixed feelings......I love the system BUT a little unhappy, with their service....:crying:

Ronnie

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for your troubles with Sena. Their lack of customer service is one reason I went with Cardo when I upgraded. Haven't needed Cardo customer service yet. Needed Sena as soon as I received the headsets.
After a year with a pair of Packtalk Bold's, I am VERY happy with the purchase.
Never again will I buy a Sena product.

Does Cardo work with the Wing's CB ??

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you are listening the music source coming from the bike, the music cuts out when using the intercom. It also cuts out when using the CB. On the Sena look at the manual and read the priority of communication, I believe it says in the manual that music cuts out when using intercom. When conversation ends, then music comes back but lags a bit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are listening the music source coming from the bike, the music cuts out when using the intercom. It also cuts out when using the CB. On the Sena look at the manual and read the priority of communication, I believe it says in the manual that music cuts out when using intercom. When conversation ends, then music comes back but lags a bit.
I have read through the manual many times and still seem to be confused. I believe the Freewire IS two way adapter.
You can use a two-way radio and the 10R Bluetooth intercom
simultaneously by using a Bluetooth Two-way Radio
Adapter (please refer to section 5.2, “Second Mobile Phone Pairing -
Second Mobile Phone, GPS, and SR10”). Incoming audio from the
two-way radio will not interrupt an intercom conversation but is heard
in the background.

BUT.........

Starting Three-way Intercom

You (A) can have a three-way conference intercom with two other 10Rfriends (B & C) by establishing two intercom connections
simultaneously. While a three-way conference intercom is in progress,
mobile phone connection of all three participants is temporarily
disconnected.

So if I am only using intercom the audio should be in the background but if I go to conference call it will go out completely.

Maybe my thinking that the Freewire is a two way adapter is wrong.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Multitaskig

I'm not surprised the Sena folks were no help. If a software update and resetting to factory defaults does not solve the problem, they generally are not much help.

As I recall, the 10R got multitasking at the same time the 30K got bluetooth multitasking. In many circumstances it still does not work on the 30K, so it may be just as flaky on the 10R.

BTW: Yes, it should work.

Did you pair the Freewire as your first phone?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not surprised the Sena folks were no help. If a software update and resetting to factory defaults does not solve the problem, they generally are not much help.
As I recall, the 10R got multitasking at the same time the 30K got bluetooth multitasking. In many circumstances it still does not work on the 30K, so it may be just as flaky on the 10R.
BTW: Yes, it should work.
Did you pair the Freewire as your first phone?
Thanks for the info, I guess I will just deal with it and hope a future update will help.

The first time pairing I paired as the second phone because I thought that was how I read the manual. So then I deleted all pairings and paired it as first phone and no change.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I bought 2 Sena 20s Intercom units and 2 Freewire units. Love the 20S for Bluetooth com's between our 2 bikes. Freewire works well when using to connect to the bike. The Freewire is a piece of junk when trying to get it to work with the CB and Intercom. Just does not work. I played with ours for a year and gave up. End up pushing the middle button all the time. Not sure if it really is a Sena issue or just the GL1800 electronics packages being so outdated. At the last Rally we went to Sierra did not really even wanted to sell the Freewire units for use with a GL1800. Our friends that ride Harley CVO newer bikes they had no issues selling them and our friends think they work fine.
We dumped our Freewire units. I created one helmet that had a wired hookup for the Mic and the Sena bluetooth hookup. When we ride in a group and want to use the CB set CB receiving to my speakers and use the wired mic for CB talking. Still have my Blue Tooth intercom with my wife on her Trike. Weird to have to make this setup but it works for us. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

Dan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought 2 Sena 20s Intercom units and 2 Freewire units. Love the 20S for Bluetooth com's between our 2 bikes. Freewire works well when using to connect to the bike. The Freewire is a piece of junk when trying to get it to work with the CB and Intercom. Just does not work. I played with ours for a year and gave up. End up pushing the middle button all the time. Not sure if it really is a Sena issue or just the GL1800 electronics packages being so outdated. At the last Rally we went to Sierra did not really even wanted to sell the Freewire units for use with a GL1800. Our friends that ride Harley CVO newer bikes they had no issues selling them and our friends think they work fine.
We dumped our Freewire units. I created one helmet that had a wired hookup for the Mic and the Sena bluetooth hookup. When we ride in a group and want to use the CB set CB receiving to my speakers and use the wired mic for CB talking. Still have my Blue Tooth intercom with my wife on her Trike. Weird to have to make this setup but it works for us. Maybe someone else has had better luck.Dan
Thanks for your info, I will probably keep things as they are and route the CB to the Fairing speakers so if I hear one of the guys call me I will just end the intercom conversation and the CB will be live again for me to transmit.
I will just loose the XM to the headset while the intercom is open.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Have you checked the Intercom-audio Overlay Sensitivity setting in the options for your Sena? I am by no means an expert, but this option does allow you set the music in background as; Disable, Low, Medium and High. I think the default is Disable which means music will not play in background if you are on the intercom.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I guess we all can have different experiences.

I've called them few times for tips over the past year and gotten satisfaction.

They have a decent YouTube channel.

Your experience did vary.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you checked the Intercom-audio Overlay Sensitivity setting in the options for your Sena? I am by no means an expert, but this option does allow you set the music in background as; Disable, Low, Medium and High. I think the default is Disable which means music will not play in background if you are on the intercom.
For a test I turned on the FM feature in the 10R and when I go to intercom the FM plays in the background as it should so I would guess that would be the same. Yes?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
For a test I turned on the FM feature in the 10R and when I go to intercom the FM plays in the background as it should so I would guess that would be the same. Yes?
I am not sure. I would think so. But it may not be since the FM radio is built into the Sena and any other audio source would be external.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It may be the other person's intercom settings. Generally when I pair my 20s with other riders the music coming through my Freewire only cuts out when we are actually talking. But I sometimes ride with one friend who for some reason always seems to have an open mic and consequently can't hear my music, or my gps directions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It may be the other person's intercom settings. Generally when I pair my 20s with other riders the music coming through my Freewire only cuts out when we are actually talking. But I sometimes ride with one friend who for some reason always seems to have an open mic and consequently can't hear my music, or my gps directions.
HHMMM
I know one of the riders has all Voice activation and the other (there were 3 of us riding together) has a remote on his handlebar so no voice activation.
I have VOX off...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts