GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome again fellow riders.

I’ve read quite a bit around the forum of people installing the freewire in the left pocket of their GWs.

I want to do the same an take the advantages of the 12v plug that I’ve already installed in the pocket.

But I’m a little bit confused on how to install / route the 5 pins connector within the box without losing the inline audio cable or forcing the closing lid.

Any suggestion to share?

Thanks s lot!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have the smh 10 bluetooth devise. I have it located in the cubby where the air bag would live if I could afford an air bag model. What I did was put a knotch in the ridge to keep the rain out so the 5 pin din cable could fi. I take it out and charge it once a week, but I leave one of those slim phone chargers in the cubby too. If the charge on the bt device expires I just plug it into the phone charger and finish the ride. The charger is good for the entire season.
I have heard that you get static from the engine if you keep it plugged in to the usb charger on the bike. I don't get that this way, and it is always locked away.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Since I have no use for the 5 pin connector outside on the fairing, I dropped it into the area beneath the cubby and plugged the cable from the Freewire into it and just let it all stay there. The coiled wire goes through the hole in the bottom of the cubby and plugs into the Freewire. The power cord is plugged into the power outlet in the pocket and the cord is coiled in the bottom of the pocket. Now if I could find another clip with the sticky tape on the back that the Freewire slips into, I'd mount it back on the side of the pocket and slip it in there so it's not sitting on the bottom of the cubby. I always have the Freewire charged and running when the bike is on and no static like the SMH10 has when it's plugged in to the bike's power. I have the SMH10 set up in the trunk for my girlfriend to be able to listen to the bikes audio system when we're riding. Works great that way. I can still use the CB when needed, we both get to listen to the radio and have the intercom between our helmets.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hello Luca,

Hope these help. There is one pic of the pocket closed, but you don't see the headset cable connected outside the pocket anymore. I didn't cut it off or anything, just moved it under the pocket and plugged the cable from the Freewire in under the pocket. I'd take the pocket out and show that, but I have the Baker wings on my bike and it's a pain to take everything off to get the pocket out of the bike. Another picture is showing the cable run through the bottom hole in the grommet in the cubby. The third pic is showing the cable plugged into the power point in the pocket. I bought a new 12v power cord that was angled instead of straight and it frees up some room cause it's not sticking straight into the pocket. It's angled along one edge a little more to give me more room. On my old bike, I had the Freewire mounted on the left side of the pocket where that label is at. It was just double-sided sticky tape, but now I can't find the bracket. I'll have to order another one when I get back from vacation. I'll send a pic when I get it finished up.

Hope these help.

Sorry for the pics being sideways. I uploaded them straight, but this crazy software tends to flip them sideways. If you look at them in Tapatalk, they're fine. Maybe one of these nice mods that knows how to flip the pics will be kind enough to flip them correctly for me.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@griffalo , this is P E R F E C T..

Thank you very much for having spent your time doing it. Truly appreciate.

I will work on that during the weekend and post result back here.

Again, thanks s lot.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Good luck with it Luca. I enjoy having my Freewire always on with the key and always available and not having to worry about a dead batter. Let me know how it works for you.

Reactions: Luca Bandinelli

·
Registered
909 Posts
Glad I could help!! I went to Paris, TX for our Texas District Rally on the 16-18th of May and from there, several of us went to Branson, MO afterwards. While in Branson, my Freewire died. I called Sena but it was about 6 weeks out of warranty... :( Oh well, another is on the way and I’ll be back up soon. Glad you like the way it works in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Luca Bandinelli

·
Registered
46 Posts
My setup is a Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter located in centre pocket on a 2016 GW:

CF71C78E-6DBC-4BC4-881A-E506F7FEE4B0.jpg

Sena SM10 connected to the Honda 5 pin DIN located under left pocket with this cable .... routed under plastic through a small hole in centre pocket:

156F8E5A-218F-4E07-BC45-BBADDE537F52.jpeg

12V power for Sena comes directly from battery with cable routed under seat through another small hole in centre pocket

All audio from bike is then transmitted to Sena Bluetooth helmet through the SM10.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts