GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 manual Tour. I am using a Sena S20. I also have hearing loss. Can't wear Hearing Aids inside the modular helmet. WAY too much wind noise, but, when going without the aids, wind noise, some songs and talking with my friend on his bike are difficult. I have tried ear plugs and they help with wind noise but with my hearing loss I can hardly hear the stereo or conversation. I am looking at the FUZE Custom fit ear buds. I could plug them right into the 20S. I'm thinking this may take care of wind noise and provide a way to hear stereo and conversations.

I know that technically it is illegal in some states to wear earbuds but in reality it can't be any more unsafe than foam ear plugs and S20 volume at max.

Anybody out there have any experience using FUZE or any other ear buds plugged into the jack of the Sena?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Earbuds

I have an 18 manual Tour. I am using a Sena S20. I also have hearing loss. Can't wear Hearing Aids inside the modular helmet. WAY too much wind noise, but, when going without the aids, wind noise, some songs and talking with my friend on his bike are difficult. I have tried ear plugs and they help with wind noise but with my hearing loss I can hardly hear the stereo or conversation. I am looking at the FUZE Custom fit ear buds. I could plug them right into the 20S. I'm thinking this may take care of wind noise and provide a way to hear stereo and conversations.

I know that technically it is illegal in some states to wear earbuds but in reality it can't be any more unsafe than foam ear plugs and S20 volume at max.

Anybody out there have any experience using FUZE or any other ear buds plugged into the jack of the Sena?

Thanks in advance.
I ride with plug-up ear buds or Shure in ear monitors plugged into my Sena 20s (or now 30K) for 5+ years. It works fine for me. I have some hearing loss, but do not wear hearing aids. I also have tinnitus and have to protect my ears from sustained loud noises.

The Sena has an ambient mic so when I need to hear things going on around me, I can turn that on. I have never had any problem hearing emergency sirens on the street while I ride. I listen to music through the headset at a normal foreground listening level, nothing even close to even live jazz listening levels.

You can get the Plug-up plugs with custom molds if you want to, but i just use the normal ear tips. I do have to be careful to fully insert the buds in my ears, or the noise isolation is not very good.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ride with plug-up ear buds or Shure in ear monitors plugged into my Sena 20s (or now 30K) for 5+ years. It works fine for me. I have some hearing loss, but do not wear hearing aids. I also have tinnitus and have to protect my ears from sustained loud noises.

The Sena has an ambient mic so when I need to hear things going on around me, I can turn that on. I have never had any problem hearing emergency sirens on the street while I ride. I listen to music through the headset at a normal foreground listening level, nothing even close to even live jazz listening levels.

You can get the Plug-up plugs with custom molds if you want to, but i just use the normal ear tips. I do have to be careful to fully insert the buds in my ears, or the noise isolation is not very good.
Thanks. I am not really all that technically smart so can you explain "abient" mic? And how do you turn it on? Thanks again

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sena

Thanks. I am not really all that technically smart so can you explain "abient" mic? And how do you turn it on? Thanks again

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sena has a mic that is used to pick up sound outside the helmet. You turn it on by pushing a button on the bottom of the mount twice in quick succession. It is turned off the same way. When it is active it overrides all other inputs, such as bluetooth or intercom connections.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I too have hearing aids and wear custom ear plugs, they are a MUST for me and if I need to hear a conversation outside my helmet, my Sena has a button that I push so that it picks up conversations.

I think that most police would understand the need for ear plugs, they should be worn by all riders to minimize hearing loss, which I didn't have my hearing loss.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Custom ear buds that plug into my 20evo. No wind noise, volume is usually set at 8-9 to hear cb, radio, iPhone ...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also have the 20S and need to check out that abient feature.

I wear Behind the ear hearing aids and am practically deaf in my left ear where even aids don't help much for that ear. I also have about a 30% loss in my right ear that aids help a lot. I don't wear them when I put on my helmet for obvious reasons you know. I do have a pair of aids by EARGO that is pretty much sitting in my ear canal. They are not actually hearing aids but more like hearing amplifiers. The tone on them is great and rechargeable that on a charge will last all day. They are expensive. They don't hinder my helmet comfort and so when riding I wear them. When I purchased the EARGOs, I tried them for two weeks and decided for the cost I didn't want them. I called to ask for a return and was asked if I liked the fit and did they help. I said yes, I loved them but for my hearing loss they are not as good as my resound aids. So the lady said if we rebate you $750 would you keep them because we don't want to refurbish them for resale. I agreed but even at that they were expensive.

wh

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Don't get too caught up in the "they're illegal" thing.

Many states that say it is illegal to wear headphones are speaking about someone rocking out in a car, and some of them (I know MD is one) have an explicit exemption for hearing protection.

There are states that have laws against in-helmet speakers so you're already a rogue.

It's not illegal until you get caught. And if you do, hopefully it will be by a cop who is sane.

+1 to the info you got. Noise isolating ear buds are game changers. I used to run with ear plugs, speakers up all the way, and couldn't hear. With the ear buds, I have my volume at maybe 30 or 40% max.

Also note in the Sena settings there is an "audio boost" thing to turn on to allow it to go a little higher. At least I know there is in the 30k and I'm pretty sure it iis in the 20s. Easiest to get to it from the settings in the phone app. If you can do it through the knob, it will be way deep in the setup menu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts