Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have NeoTech and J-Cruise II helmets
CB installed with passenger PPT
Apple Iphones and use apple car play on the bike
Ride two up about 75% of the time so rider/passenger intercom needed
Ride about 15% of time in a group using CB as group comms, not BT network

Would appreciate folks sharing their experiences, what works well and what areas are challenging

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
The Sena 50S is the latest and is recieving good reviews. I would be going with that headset if I were buying a new one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I started with J&M and ended up with Sena. I could not get enough volume with the J&M to hear the cb, and only enough to hear the music and use the phone at slow speeds. Anything much above 40 and the sound dissapeared with the wind noise. I got a Shoei helmet with SLR built in and its heads and shoulders better than J&M. It it also a LOT more expensive. My advice would be to go with Sena.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased Neotec II's and Sena SRL's for wife and I last week. Rode about three hours two up today and loved the Sena SRL. I had the Sena SMH10 on HJC helmets prior to the Shoei's and I think the sound is better on the SRL's. Voice commands to activate intercom worked, although it was a little flakey. If my wife and I were paired talking and I said "Hello Sena" Sena would activate voice commands in her com as well. I suspect it was because her mic picked up me saying "Hello Sena" over her speakers. Other than that it worked great, had great sound (for a helmet speaker, better than the SMH10's we had).

The buttons are a little hard to find with gloves, common complaint that you read about, but I think with practice it will be no big deal. I actually hardly used the buttons, I used voice to activate the intercom, "Hello Sena, Intercom one", and I used Car Play and Siri to get navigation directions on my phone. It all worked great.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I got my 2018 GWT6 in February 2018, I purchased a Neotec with a Cardo Freecom 2 setup. Several months later, I purchased a Neotec II with SRL and didn't use the other helmet again (no passenger). I never had any issues with the SRL other than, as others have stated, the button controls take some getting used to when wearing gloves (too small IMHO).

Earlier this year I had a good friend that wanted to ride, so I got the original Neotec prepared, but then the frustration started. I found it extremely difficult to get the two different systems to be able to communicate via intercom, and the Freecom 2, even with the latest firmware, would disconnect from Apple CarPlay after about 5 minutes... Every. Single. Time. I also found a major mistake in the Freecom 2 manual as apparently firmware updates had changed what app worked with the Freecom 2 but...the UG was never updated. Cardo acknowledged this mistake and is working on updating the UG.

So...I just purchased a boxed pair of Sena 50S Bluetooth devices. I will begin testing them tomorrow one-up, then two-up later. They came intercom paired from the factory, but even if I had to do it manually the process is extremely simple. Pairing to the bike was done by the dealer, but that is much easier also...no more SRL "hold the center button for 12 seconds, wait for a voice prompt...then wait for another voice prompt, etc, etc, etc."

The 50S units are larger than the Freecom 2 by quite a bit, and there may be some trunk fitting issues on new GW's (I can only get one Neotec in the trunk regardless). However...the Jog Dial is a huge improvement, voice commands (if they function properly) are also a welcome addition. Some YT reviewers with iPhones say that "Hey Siri" and "Hey Sena" (pronounced with a long "e") are so similar that the Siri may respond when you want Sena to respond. Will test. Also, Sena's Mesh 2.0 seems like a real breakthrough, even if the range is considerably shorter than the 1.2 miles Sena is claiming. I rarely go on group rides, but if I do, several hundred meters should be good enough for my needs. The 50S speakers are supposed to be much better as well (better bass response).

My experience with Bluetooth is that it is very much a work in progress. Some things are fairly standard...but when it comes to pairing, button presses, flashing lights indicating something...it is very much a Wild West show...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...no more SRL "hold the center button for 12 seconds, wait for a voice prompt...then wait for another voice prompt, etc, etc, etc."
Thanks for the very informative post Phoenix. It is truly helpful. One question on your comment above. The pairing with the bike and other helmets only needs to happen once and not every time you ride, correct?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the SRL setup in my Neotec 2. I just did a ride with another Neotec 2 SRL (bike to bike). We had to pair the helmets each time we truned them off and back on. It was a pain as sometimes they paired right up and sometimes it took several tries. I wish that it would stay paired to whatever until you told it not to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought the Neotec II along with Sena's SRL in March of 2019. While I like the performance of the SRL and the sleek design, I am disappointed in the battery life. When I first started, I was getting 12 hours of talk time which is plenty of time for me to get in a good day of riding.

I am now down to about 5-6 hours and that it just in standby listening to GPS and CB, NO TALK or music. While I can charge it from the power port when on the go,(even thought it's off while charging) it's a hassle. Further research showed that the battery is not replaceable. If I had known that, I would not have bought. So I guess when this battery finally dies, I will just chunk it and only purchase products that have a replaceable battery or "charge on the go". Extremely disappointed.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
J&M BT-04. Lots of our Chapter riders use this model. Great sound, well made, and best in class service!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought the Neotec II along with Sena's SRL in March of 2019. While I like the performance of the SRL and the sleek design, I am disappointed in the battery life. When I first started, I was getting 12 hours of talk time which is plenty of time for me to get in a good day of riding.

I am now down to about 5-6 hours and that it just in standby listening to GPS and CB, NO TALK or music. While I can charge it from the power port when on the go,(even thought it's off while charging) it's a hassle. Further research showed that the battery is not replaceable. If I had known that, I would not have bought. So I guess when this battery finally dies, I will just chunk it and only purchase products that have a replaceable battery or "charge on the go". Extremely disappointed.
Call or chat with Sena support, before March 2021 and tell them your battery has failed and they will replace the entire SRL. You will need to provide a copy of your original sales receipt.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Really like the Neotec 2 and read such mixed reviews on the Sena SRL unit... just doesn't seem like it should be all that complicated as they are applying well proven technology and it is not cheap. Seems so slick the way it is integrated into the helmet.

I honestly don't mind spending the money for something good. However, I'm a bit leery of this set-up with all the pairing issues I've read about.

$700 for the helmet and $300 for the Sena SRL - Sena has some massive margins in that product, although I'm sure Shoei is killing it as well.

Also, is it possible to easily upgrade the speakers on the SLR?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, is it possible to easily upgrade the speakers on the SLR?

Thanks,
You can’t easily replace the speakers. The whole thing is all one piece. You would have to cut the wires and solder on new speakers.

I have had absolutely no problems pairing the SRL to iPhone, the Goldwing, or other Senas for intercom.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can’t easily replace the speakers. The whole thing is all one piece. You would have to cut the wires and solder on new speakers.

I have had absolutely no problems pairing the SRL to iPhone, the Goldwing, or other Senas for intercom.
Thanks for the information and that's what it looked like for speaker replacement / upgrade. I've never had any real success soldering those tiny wires, but I'm betting that is due to my skill level.

I see so much about the pairing issues and a lot of the complaints are a year old or older, makes me wonder if there has been upgrades be Sena and I always remember information on the internet generally includes such a small percentage of the overall users that the problems are of relatively small consideration.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
J&M BT-04. Lots of our Chapter riders use this model. Great sound, well made, and best in class service!
I use the J&M BT-04 but the headset CB volume is way too low. The CB volume used to be higher but after Honda's update last year the headset volume when using the CB decreased drastically.I use cb often when group ride so I am exploring the option of new headsets. (I read a post stating that the CB volume has increased after updating to the newest Honda software in July.) I have not installed the newest Honda update yet but I hope it increases the CB volume when using my headset.

Reactions: coonsie

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought the Neotec II with SRL in 2018. Original unit was defective - microphone didn't work - and the shop where I bought it replaced it. That unit worked fine. Pairing was easy with other Sena headsets, and I never had to re-pair. Fast forward only 2 months - battery died while on a trip (10hr - 11hr into the ride) and wouldn't charge again. Back to the bike shop. They contacted Sena, and the unit was replaced again. That one worked perfectly for 2 years. I noticed this spring that the unit was self-discharging sitting on the shelf after only a week or so. Then a few weeks ago out on a ride the battery died and like the 2nd unit, wouldn't recharge. I was right around the end point of the 2 year warranty (just over, in fact). Contacted Sena not really expecting anything, but they are replacing it again. My wife and I, our son and his wife, and my brother and his wife have been using Sena SMH10's since 2011and those units are bulletproof. While I have some serious questions about the quality of the SRL's, Sena's customer service is quite excellent. Assuming this SRL dies in a couple of years, I'll be cutting it open to see if I can change the batteries myself.

Reactions: Craig Moore

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bought the Neotec II with SRL in 2018. Original unit was defective - microphone didn't work - and the shop where I bought it replaced it. That unit worked fine. Pairing was easy with other Sena headsets, and I never had to re-pair. Fast forward only 2 months - battery died while on a trip (10hr - 11hr into the ride) and wouldn't charge again. Back to the bike shop. They contacted Sena, and the unit was replaced again. That one worked perfectly for 2 years. I noticed this spring that the unit was self-discharging sitting on the shelf after only a week or so. Then a few weeks ago out on a ride the battery died and like the 2nd unit, wouldn't recharge. I was right around the end point of the 2 year warranty (just over, in fact). Contacted Sena not really expecting anything, but they are replacing it again. My wife and I, our son and his wife, and my brother and his wife have been using Sena SMH10's since 2011and those units are bulletproof. While I have some serious questions about the quality of the SRL's, Sena's customer service is quite excellent. Assuming this SRL dies in a couple of years, I'll be cutting it open to see if I can change the batteries myself.
Thanks for the good information... Makes me a bit more comfortable about pulling the trigger on both the Helmet and Sena SLR system. Never a good thing to have a problem, but good customer service goes a long way in my book to making me a happy and repeat customer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sena 50S needs intercom pairing every time unless you are using the 50S utility app, then it does it, that means bluetooth on the phone needs to be active first, or they wont pair, then turned off and the 50S need to be seen by the GW, then its a few run through before it works.
On my 50S, its keep telling that Intercom failed, try again. I am running with only mine and the bike Carplay, no other intercoms, go figure....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts