GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Sena SMH-10 BT headsets.

Gizmag did a review and likes them too:
http://www.gizmag.com/sena-smh10-bluetooth-intercom-stereo-review/25269/

best price I found is two for about $260

It works really well with new Nolan N43 helmets..
but I didn't like their "stick on" suggestion..

..so, .. Here is how I did mine:
IN THE LOWER RUBBER TRIM...
Pop out the "NOLAN" cutout and slightly enlarge the "oval hole" to fit the inner clamp
just make a notch the same width as the clamp thickness.. that way the rubber won't "distort"..
..Once you fit the clamp.. there is also room to run the SPEAKER wires back in through the same hole..

another view

Cut another small notch to bring the mic "inside" the jaw plate:

The mic comes out inside the jaw guard through the existing hole there..
There is room for the mic boom inside the helmet
(I guess it's there for the OEM nolan BT stuff?)..
.. inside the helmet.. there is also an existing very small hole with a nut plate behind it...
... I made a small "T" shaped clamp and then attached the mic boom internally with a very small (M4) bolt using the existing small hole with the nut plate that's already there.
.... I don't really think I needed that.. but it just looks better (to me) and holds the boom from flexing too much.

I arranged everything so that the mic would be off to the left side
.. there is a little "triangle" indentation in the jaw guard that provides a little extra clearance.
Like This:

...I also did not think the "brim" was big enough so I added an extension..
a small piece of Lexan from my old Nolan N102
... works great when the sun is in my face:

All in all, the Nolan N43E and the SMH10 make a great combo..
imho.
It is the coolest (temperature) and lightest helmet I have...
... even feels lighter than my old "shorty helmet... probably just because it fits better.

thanks for looking..

Dennis

·
Registered
687 Posts
I couldn't agree more...

I saw this "how-to" by Dennis a few weeks ago, and thought it made sense. I was in the market for a good way to BT my phone and Wing audio to my helmet. I read enough to believe that the SMH10 was the best choice for me. The "build-in" plan Dennis put up just made it nicer. I ordered the N43, along with a set of SMH10's, and an SM10 (BT dongle device; dual streaming BT transmitter) from Revzilla. Everything (iPhone, Wing audio, and intercom) works extremely well together. I took a ride today and tested it all out. The audio quality is much better than what I had (chatterbox), volume control is better and, while placing and taking calls at 65 mph, people on the other end had no idea I was on a motorcycle. The only downside, that I'm aware of, is that the combination I have does not support CB communication (I believe Pete is working on a fix for that). So, thanks Dennis; you made my ride much more pleasant.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw this "how-to" by Dennis a few weeks ago, and thought it made sense. I was in the market for a good way to BT my phone and Wing audio to my helmet. I read enough to believe that the SMH10 was the best choice for me. The "build-in" plan Dennis put up just made it nicer. I ordered the N43, along with a set of SMH10's, and an SM10 (BT dongle device; dual streaming BT transmitter) from Revzilla. Everything (iPhone, Wing audio, and intercom) works extremely well together. I took a ride today and tested it all out. The audio quality is much better than what I had (chatterbox), volume control is better and, while placing and taking calls at 65 mph, people on the other end had no idea I was on a motorcycle. The only downside, that I'm aware of, is that the combination I have does not support CB communication (I believe Pete is working on a fix for that). So, thanks Dennis; you made my ride much more pleasant.
Thank you Thank you... :bow::bow:

Dennis

·
Registered
323 Posts
Smh-10

Dennis and Jeff. I have the smh 10 installed in my Shoei multitech helmet. The intercom and phone functions work well, but the music quality is poor. No bass at all,very tinny sound. I can not listen to the music because of that. How is the music quality on yours?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dennis and Jeff. I have the smh 10 installed in my Shoei multitech helmet. The intercom and phone functions work well, but the music quality is poor. No bass at all,very tinny sound. I can not listen to the music because of that. How is the music quality on yours?
Usually no bass "at all" can be fixed by getting the speakers closer to your ears or exactly lined up with your ear canal.
.. no headsets put out GREAT BOOMING bass... so I'm not sure what you looking for.

quickie test..
take the speakers out of the helmet and then hold them tightly against your ear while playing the same music..
.. if the BASS improves for you then they are not lined up correctly or they are too far from your ear (in the helmet)

If you CAN NOT hear a noticeable improvement holding them tightly against your ears, than it is what it is or you have a bad headset.

I've had many of the wired and probably all of the wireless offerings out there...
.. for me.. the SMH-10 is the best of the bunch so far

Dennis

·
Registered
323 Posts
Smh-10

Usually no bass "at all" can be fixed by getting the speakers closer to your ears or exactly lined up with your ear canal.
.. no headsets put out GREAT BOOMING bass... so I'm not sure what you looking for.

quickie test..
take the speakers out of the helmet and then hold them tightly against your ear while playing the same music..
.. if the BASS improves for you then they are not lined up correctly or they are too far from your ear (in the helmet)

If you CAN NOT hear a noticeable improvement holding them tightly against your ears, than it is what it is or you have a bad headset.

I've had many of the wired and probably all of the wireless offerings out there...

Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I need to move the speakers closer to my ear and see how that works.

·
Registered
429 Posts

Dennis
Dennis,
I have beenlooking at the Sena smh10 and the Cardo Scala G9. Have you tried the G9?
John

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dennis,
I have beenlooking at the Sena smh10 and the Cardo Scala G9. Have you tried the G9?
John
...sorry no, I've not tried their new ones.
There are many happy users on this forum with the Scala's.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
...sorry no, I've not tried their new ones.
There are many happy users on this forum with the Scala's.

Dennis
I'm a semi-happy Scala G4 rider. The " automatic " hook up with other Scala riders is hit-or-miss sometimes. The other day riding with my usual local Scala rider, our sets finally found each other when we were five miles from returning home. Too little, too late. Yet, other times it hits right off the start.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks Wingwing

I purchased and installed the SMH10d on wife and my helmets and I really like the quality of the sound in phone, intercom, and music from our phone It is much better than the system we were using that integrated with the bike AND much cheaper.
Uga

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
I can't find any info on their website about which MIC version is for which type of helmet. Does anyone know which would be the correct choice for full-face helmets?
The SMH10-10 has the attached boom mic.

The SMH10-11 has the detached mic.

Which to use in a FF helmet depends upon your personal preference and the room available between your mouth and the helmet. Personally, in a FF helmet I'd prefer the SMH10-11 with the detached mic.

Here's a quick video showing the difference:
http://youtu.be/pNe9DEHcpXY

·
Registered
328 Posts
The SMH10-10 has the attached boom mic.

The SMH10-11 has the detached mic.

Which to use in a FF helmet depends upon your personal preference and the room available between your mouth and the helmet. Personally, in a FF helmet I'd prefer the SMH10-11 with the detached mic.

Here's a quick video showing the difference:
http://youtu.be/pNe9DEHcpXY
Great video, thanks - I hadn't found anything explaining the difference.

Didn't know about the third option of the stick-on MIC. I'll have to check the room available in my helmet. I wonder if it's as good quality as the others - not having a boom at all looks appealing.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Great video, thanks - I hadn't found anything explaining the difference.

Didn't know about the third option of the stick-on MIC. I'll have to check the room available in my helmet. I wonder if it's as good quality as the others - not having a boom at all looks appealing.
I also love the Sena blue tooth.................I only use it for the phone, BUT as said above, no one knows I'm on my bike..
I have a heating/plumbing business, and need phone (as I'm on call) and don't want to sit home just waiting for calls.so off i go riding................

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
We just got the SMH-10R, which is their new thin model. After a couple of rides, we are very impressed. It comes with both the boom mike and the stick on. It also comes with both velcro and double sided tape for install. The voice quality is better than the wired headsets we had and they weigh less.

Sena says they have all day talk time. We have not tested that yet, but are going to try as soon as we can. The set comes with a USB and a 12 volt charging cable. They say you can charge the battery while riding. That would be good if you forgot to charge overnight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sena and Bell MAG-9 helmets

We needed new helmets anyway and I found that Bell had just released their Sena version of the MAG-9. It was built to expressly accommodate the Sena SMH10 headsets. Bought the whole deal from RevZilla for abut $850. Installed everything, paired it all up and it works like a champ! Love it!. Very pleased with the whole setup. I can still get the radio and Navi and we ca communicate when we need to.

We rode with a friend yesterday and did an experiment, wife rode behind him and I rode drag. I let them get about 1/3 of a mile ahead before the audio broke up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the SMH-10 in both my helmet (Nolan N90) and wife's helmet (Scorpion EXO-900). We just got back from a 5,100 miles trip and the headsets worked great. I have my headset paired to my Garmin 765t GPS for voice prompts, and iPhone 5 my music and any calls and to my wife's headset for intercom. She has her headset paired with mine for intercom and her own iPhone for music, and her e-books, and phone calls. She would call ahead to our planned stops each night and verify our reservations. She also was my co-pilot looking out for those 4 legged creatures that love to cross the roads.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Yes, I'm resurrecting an old discussion...

I couldn't agree more...

Can any of you tell me what device or combination of devices will allow me to bypass the multi-pin cords on my '01 1800 audio system and go Bluetooth for everything? (Intercom, AM/FM, and CB).

It's got to be out there, somewhere.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts