GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have a 2018 Gold Wing and about to purchase Shoei Neotec II helmets. We would like to use the SRL, which is designed to nicely integrate into the Neotec II helmet, but Honda is recommending the 20S EVO for full compatibility with the bike. Sena's website says the SRL "functions like our top selling 20S with a simple 3-button control."

Has anyone out there used the Sena SRL / Shoei Neotec II combination on the 2018 (or 2019) Honda Gold Wing, and if so, how does your SRL work with the Intercom (for rider & passenger communication only), CB radio, NAV and Android phone? Music (mostly XM Radio) would also be nice, but not as important to us.

Lastly, there are two SRL models listed on Sena's Technologies Help Desk, the "SRL" and the "SRL2," does anyone know how they differ?

Thanks very much for your input!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Tried it, speakers sounded very "tinny" and not very good sound. SO, I went back to the 20evo so I could plug in my earbuds. Much better. Good pairing with other BT riders, good pairing with cb riders. Until speakers approach the quality of my earbuds... good luck on your choice.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@retired_biker I've had my SRL for just under a year, had them replaced due to microphone issue under warranty. So far after getting the replacement no more issues with hit and miss with SIRI or having people I'm talking with via phone having difficulty hear me. The sound is on par with what I have on my 20s's. I didn't expect BOSE sound with any MC communication unless you go HiTech Ear Buds wired, although I hear the Blue Tooth High-End buds are fantastic. Sorry got off topic a bit. The CB functions well no issues to report. I have not used the Intercom as I'm lone wolf rider. Great with XM and AM&FM on my Apple phone. Navigation comes through just fine. Enjoy the ride and have confidence in the SRL for your Neotec II, JMHO.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I own both, and I have to say I'm not that impressed with either. Neotec II was my first Shoei, and for the price it better make it up in a crash, because I don't find the comfort, quietness or design to be worth anywhere near the $700 price. The ventilation is poor at best, its no quieter than my $200 BILT was, and the visor is a pain to remove and clean and replace. Additionally, the inner sunshade is also a bear to clean.

As for the SRL, it does fit the helmet well, and is virtually invisible. Battery life is quite good. I do find the volume to be fine for voice, but not very good for audiobooks or music. People I call mostly don't realize I'm on the bike, even with the visor up. That said, I dunno if it is just mine but Siri is horrendously bad when I use the SRL. I know Siri isn't amazing in general, but she is usable in most scenarios, and absolutely useless when on the bike, even stopped. It also still has me a little mad that I can't use the SRL while it is charging. While on the SRL, it generally works fine with the Wing, but it is rather slow to connect, and you have to wait for the second beep before you can plug in your iPhone as it connects at first in the wrong bluetooth mode, then 10-15 seconds later corrects itself.

In the end, I don't think the $1000 for the combo is worth it, and had Sena released the SRL on time I would have returned the whole setup. I know Shoei has a rep for being very safe, so I just chalk its expense up to that, but I seriously doubt I'll replace the Neotec II with another Shoei.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried it, speakers sounded very "tinny" and not very good sound. SO, I went back to the 20evo so I could plug in my earbuds. Much better. Good pairing with other BT riders, good pairing with cb riders. Until speakers approach the quality of my earbuds... good luck on your choice.
If you have a CB on your bike and also use the intercom between yourself and passenger (on your bike), aside from the 20S EVO's apparently having better speaker - sound quality, how does the SRL and 20SEVO differ in operation for these CB & intercom functions, or is it the same?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@retired_biker I've had my SRL for just under a year, had them replaced due to microphone issue under warranty. So far after getting the replacement no more issues with hit and miss with SIRI or having people I'm talking with via phone having difficulty hear me. The sound is on par with what I have on my 20s's. I didn't expect BOSE sound with any MC communication unless you go HiTech Ear Buds wired, although I hear the Blue Tooth High-End buds are fantastic. Sorry got off topic a bit. The CB functions well no issues to report. I have not used the Intercom as I'm lone wolf rider. Great with XM and AM&FM on my Apple phone. Navigation comes through just fine. Enjoy the ride and have confidence in the SRL for your Neotec II, JMHO.
Thanks for your input (particularly with CB), hoping other Sena SRL users with a CB and both rider & passenger communicating over intercom will chime in!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own both, and I have to say I'm not that impressed with either. Neotec II was my first Shoei, and for the price it better make it up in a crash, because I don't find the comfort, quietness or design to be worth anywhere near the $700 price. The ventilation is poor at best, its no quieter than my $200 BILT was, and the visor is a pain to remove and clean and replace. Additionally, the inner sunshade is also a bear to clean.

As for the SRL, it does fit the helmet well, and is virtually invisible. Battery life is quite good. I do find the volume to be fine for voice, but not very good for audiobooks or music. People I call mostly don't realize I'm on the bike, even with the visor up. That said, I dunno if it is just mine but Siri is horrendously bad when I use the SRL. I know Siri isn't amazing in general, but she is usable in most scenarios, and absolutely useless when on the bike, even stopped. It also still has me a little mad that I can't use the SRL while it is charging. While on the SRL, it generally works fine with the Wing, but it is rather slow to connect, and you have to wait for the second beep before you can plug in your iPhone as it connects at first in the wrong bluetooth mode, then 10-15 seconds later corrects itself.

In the end, I don't think the $1000 for the combo is worth it, and had Sena released the SRL on time I would have returned the whole setup. I know Shoei has a rep for being very safe, so I just chalk its expense up to that, but I seriously doubt I'll replace the Neotec II with another Shoei.
Thanks, really appreciate all your comments on the Neotec II, stayed away from the original, but am now ready to take the modular helmet plunge, but only with Shoei quality (currently running 4 year old Shoei RF1200) with the integration of SRL headset as long as no functions are lost from not going with SRL. Btw, my current best price is $ 855.00 for the combo (solid color helmet) delivered.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
@retired_biker That price is great! I was over 1k for mine, the first batch out guesses, that kept the prices solid as is usual with new products.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have the combo for both myself and my wife. Intercom is crystal clear as is phone com.

Music audio is terrific if you use (and should) hearing protection. Silicone pads or baffled ear plugs work best. I believe the tinny sound is a deliberate tuning by Sena to compensate for frequency attenuation of hearing protection.

I heartily recommend when used properly and as intended.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks, really appreciate all your comments on the Neotec II, stayed away from the original, but am now ready to take the modular helmet plunge, but only with Shoei quality (currently running 4 year old Shoei RF1200) with the integration of SRL headset as long as no functions are lost from not going with SRL. Btw, my current best price is $ 855.00 for the combo (solid color helmet) delivered.
I don't think I'll ever go away from modular, it is just soooooo convenient. That price is pretty dang good, too. I paid $700 (+tax) for the helmet (gloss white) and $300 (+tax) for the SRL, both bought the week they were released (well, the SRL was ordered the week it was available, but delayed another 5 weeks due to supply constraints).

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I disagree with most above. The Shoei Neotech2 is the finest helmet currently made. The Sena 20 & SRL are similar but the Sena 20S has goofy functions you do tapping the dial. The SRL is plug n play and easier to use. Both units sound marginal as does all JM Elite products. You would think for $300 you could bet a decent sound pair of head phones since for $80 you can get a decent home unit. But this is not the case

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disagree with most above. The Shoei Neotech2 is the finest helmet currently made. The Sena 20 & SRL are similar but the Sena 20S has goofy functions you do tapping the dial. The SRL is plug n play and easier to use. Both units sound marginal as does all JM Elite products. You would think for $300 you could bet a decent sound pair of head phones since for $80 you can get a decent home unit. But this is not the case
Thanks for your input, my wife and I cannot wait to "go modular!" Do you by any chance have a CB on your bike, and if so, how does it work along with the intercom when communicating between yourself and your passenger?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts