GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hearing that the Sena SRL can be fickle to pair and use.
Can anyone who has this system share their recommendations for the process used to have it initially connect it to the bike, and then for it to do so without any problems each time I want to reconnect?
What are the tips and secrets to make its use as seamless as possible?

Thanks! :grin2:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
As with any bluetooth device, read and understand the manual. Also read the manual and understand the motorcycle's system. Follow the pairing procedure exactly....it may take a few tries to pair up devices. Don't try to pair too many devices and experiment with pairing order.....sometimes the pairing order will affect connectivity. Turn off any other bluetooth devices in the area as you pair each device. We have recently discovered that carbon fiber helmets can effect the bluetooth signal, acting as a block for the transmission of radio waves. Remember, these are low power transmitters and receivers.
Plenty of help online too: https://www.sena.com/product/srl/videos

·
Registered
21 Posts
I paired my SRL system with no issues. You place the SRL system into Bluetooth pairing mode (hold the center button down for 12 seconds) then follow the procedure from the Wing manual (screenshot of that page attached). Once paired it will automatically connect every time you start the bike with the headset turned on.

Here is the SRL pairing procedure (it's the same for the bike as for mobile phone):

1. Turn on the SRL and press the Center Button for 12 seconds until you hear high-toned double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Configuration menu”.

2. Within 2 seconds, tap the (+) Button until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.

3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SRL in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.

4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some mobile phones may not ask for the PIN.

5. The mobile phone confirms that pairing has been completed and the SRL is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SRL saying “Your headset is paired”.

6. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SRL will return to stand-by mode.

I've found that turning on the SRL (press the middle and + button simultaneously) and plugging in my phone prior to starting the bike gives me the best odds of Carplay hooking up every time ...though it does take about 15-20 seconds to sync up.

What I haven't figured out is how to get the SRL intercom to work with another helmet (Cardo) while connected to the bike. I can get intercom to work when not synced with the bike, but I can't get both. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I paired my SRL system with no issues. You place the SRL system into Bluetooth pairing mode (hold the center button down for 12 seconds) then follow the procedure from the Wing manual (screenshot of that page attached). Once paired it will automatically connect every time you start the bike with the headset turned on.

Here is the SRL pairing procedure (it's the same for the bike as for mobile phone):

1. Turn on the SRL and press the Center Button for 12 seconds until you hear high-toned double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Configuration menu”.

2. Within 2 seconds, tap the (+) Button until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.

3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SRL in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.

4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some mobile phones may not ask for the PIN.

5. The mobile phone confirms that pairing has been completed and the SRL is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SRL saying “Your headset is paired”.

6. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the SRL will return to stand-by mode.

I've found that turning on the SRL (press the middle and + button simultaneously) and plugging in my phone prior to starting the bike gives me the best odds of Carplay hooking up every time ...though it does take about 15-20 seconds to sync up.

What I haven't figured out is how to get the SRL intercom to work with another helmet (Cardo) while connected to the bike. I can get intercom to work when not synced with the bike, but I can't get both. :(

so your phone is connected to the bike via cable and to your headset via bluetooth?

·
Registered
124 Posts
so your phone is connected to the bike via cable and to your headset via bluetooth?
Are you using a iPhone?

Sena pairs to the bike also. Turn off your phones’ Bluetooth completely. I cannot stress that enough. If your phone has Bluetooth on CarPlay will not work.

Yes that’s the only way to connect and get carplay to work. I highly recommend linking everything up and using CarPlay. Very good system, just is a [email protected]& to get started.

Keep at it. All of us struggled to set everything up. It really does work well once everything is connected

JBB

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
interesting. Im not connecting my phone to the headset. just to the bike via the cable. carplay comes up every time IF i wait for the bike to recognize the headsets.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use a sena 10u pad AND my riding partner uses my original sena 10s

Haven’t yet tried to intercom but I have both paired to the goldwing.

She enjoys my music. If she didn’t it would be a long walk home for her lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
interesting. Im not connecting my phone to the headset. just to the bike via the cable. carplay comes up every time IF i wait for the bike to recognize the headsets.
At startup I turn on bike first, then turn on sena, once I hear the radio thru my headset I then plug in my iPhone.
Works well for me but was a biotch to set up initially.

Enjoy!

JBB

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I use a sena 10u pad AND my riding partner uses my original sena 10s

Haven’t yet tried to intercom but I have both paired to the goldwing.

She enjoys my music. If she didn’t it would be a long walk home for her lol
hahaha. i couldnt do that. i need someone to unload the bike when we arrive, so i have XM satellite that i can flip between her music and my music every fuel stop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My phone is connected only for Apple Carplay (iPhone). ...it is not paired with the headset at all, the SRL is only paired to the bike.

That said, and to reply to the comment about Bluetooth ...if you don't pair your phone to the bike or headset over Bluetooth, there's no reason to disable Bluetooth on your phone. So here's my setup.

SRL Paired to the Goldwing
Phone, not paired to either, but connected via the cable in the glovebox for Apple Carplay.

I turn on the SRL, then plug in my phone, then turn on the bike ...everything syncs up in about 15-20 seconds and I'm good to go. If I do any of these things after the bike is "on", there's a chance Carplay won't enable, and I have to switch the bike off and back on again.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My phone is connected only for Apple Carplay (iPhone). ...it is not paired with the headset at all, the SRL is only paired to the bike.

That said, and to reply to the comment about Bluetooth ...if you don't pair your phone to the bike or headset over Bluetooth, there's no reason to disable Bluetooth on your phone. So here's my setup.

Phone, not paired to either, but connected via the cable in the glovebox for Apple Carplay.

I turn on the SRL, then plug in my phone, then turn on the bike ...everything syncs up in about 15-20 seconds and I'm good to go. If I do any of these things after the bike is "on", there's a chance Carplay won't enable, and I have to switch the bike off and back on again.
ill have to try it this way. my issue isnt getting car play to turn on, it never fails my way but im having issues getting the music to restart after we use the intercom. hopefully this will fix my problem. thank you

·
Registered
455 Posts

Agreed, the statement about Bluetooth is correct. No need to turn it off, just don’t pair the iPhone to the bike or headset via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good luck, I have not been able to get intercom to work at all, but probably because I have a Sena SRL in my Neotech and we have a Cardo Packtalk Slim in the other helmet. ...I have not been able to get the intercom to work if they are connected to the bike via Bluetooth. ...so frustrating. I'm sure if it were Sena / Sena we wouldn't have an issue.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Good luck, I have not been able to get intercom to work at all, but probably because I have a Sena SRL in my Neotech and we have a Cardo Packtalk Slim in the other helmet. ...I have not been able to get the intercom to work if they are connected to the bike via Bluetooth. ...so frustrating. I'm sure if it were Sena / Sena we wouldn't have an issue.
The bike doesn't do 'intercom'.

The intercom connection needs to be estabished headset-to-headset.

Both connect to the bike for music audio, but they connect to each other for intercom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I understand that, and I can get intercom to work between the two units. ...until they connect to the bike, then the intercom fails. I don't understand why, and this is my first pair of comm units, so I have zero experience with them. :(

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yeah, I understand that, and I can get intercom to work between the two units. ...until they connect to the bike, then the intercom fails. I don't understand why, and this is my first pair of comm units, so I have zero experience with them. :(
theres a bunch of cardo youtube videos. try going through those to find any info on connecting to other brands. also, take a pic of your software settings and post it. the problem may be in there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have an iPhone 8+ and a Shoei Neotec II with SRL paired to my 2018 GWT6. I have had no issue with pairing or using any of these devices...as long as I don't get impatient. My experience with pairing the SRL initially didn't go well because I didn't wait for the voice prompt from the SRL after I put it into pairing mode...duh. I don't turn Bluetooth off on the iPhone 8+.

When getting ready to ride, I turn on the bike, wait for the Nav screen to initialize, turn on the SRL, wait for the voice prompt that it is paired properly with the GWT6 (confirming with the dash icons at the top of the screen), then unlock my iPhone 8+ and plug it in to the 6" USB cable that I'm using, making sure the 8+ is cleared for notification if it thinks I am "driving." Following this procedure works 100% of the time for me.

I hope this helps you...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've been hearing that the Sena SRL can be fickle to pair and use.
Can anyone who has this system share their recommendations for the process used to have it initially connect it to the bike, and then for it to do so without any problems each time I want to reconnect?
What are the tips and secrets to make its use as seamless as possible?

Thanks! :grin2:
Thank you for your timely post! I just recently purchased 2 SRLs (for myself and the wife), primarily because we gave up on another mfg. with a similar product; and after filing a complaint / case # with Honda (suggest everyone does the same, as in our opinion, Honda shares at least equal responsibility for the Bluetooth mess with the headset vendors on the 2018 Gold Wing) and speaking with Honda (in CA) and subsequently being directed by Honda to our selling (and his DSM), we were told essentially that in order to have Honda's support, we would need to switch to Sena 20S EVO units, as the Sena 20S EVO was tested to provide Honda's intended functional implementation of all audio streams available on the 2018 Gold Wing. Before doing so, we confirmed with Sena (in writing) that the SRL's are equivalent to their 20S EVO (but specific to the Neotec II). Keeping in mind that every user will have slightly different needs and therefore different experiences, our exasperation with our old (non Sena) headsets began after having the Honda OEM CB radio installed last winter (9 mos. after delivery of the bike); since then, even with the latest firmware installed in both the bike and headsets, reliable Intercom between rider & passenger along with reliable use of the (newly installed) CB was impossible for us. With the new SRL's we've been out just once together and I've been out once by myself, so we still a lot to experience / learn, but we did lose intercom between us several times during that day out together, although we were able to easily reconnect, which we could not do with the old (non Sena) units. I also tried the transmitting out (TX) on the CB once, which caused us to lose the Intercom between us, which is not encouraging. We would like to hear from more people with the SRL's or 20S EVO's who also use Intercom between rider and passenger and have the Honda OEM CB radio installed on bike. Wish us all luck!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts