GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just put on my 1st Comm (ever) on my Shoei RF1400 (medium) helmet.
I'd say my Helmet is a good fit helmet.
But, with the Sena50S speakers, the hard plastic crushes (physically) my ears when I put the helmet on.
There's also continuous pressure (due to the hard plastics of the speakers) and the hurt is unbearable after 5-10 mins.
The process of removing the helmet also hurts the ears tremendously due to the hard plastic crushing my ears.

If I were to increase the size of my helmet by 1 size, would that help ?
The thin sponge on the speakers simply do NOT help at all in cushioning the ears.
What are your experiences with speakers and helmets?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Speakers inside a helmet should not touch your ears.......they should be mounted in the helmet ear pocket and may touch when putting your helmet on but once on, they should not touch.
I use IEMs but still have the Sena 50S speakers installed inside my Arai XC-W OF and they do not touch my ears at all even with the IEMS in my ears.
Helmet speakers touching your ears, even slightly, will eventually cause irritation and discomfort.

Not familiar with the Shoei helmet headset mounting options......

·
Registered
411 Posts
Same problem, different helmet. First, dumb question - are the ear pads removed on the RF1400? I think there are ear pads to fill in the void when the speakers are not installed. On my helmet, my speakers sat to high up on my ears causing pressure on the tops of my ears - I had to dig the helmet foam out to lower the speakers. I had previously thought the speakers were well centered, but after removing the helmet liner so I could feel around where the speakers actually were with my fingers, that was when I found they were not centered, but high up towards the top of my ears.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speakers inside a helmet should not touch your ears.......they should be mounted in the helmet ear pocket and may touch when putting your helmet on but once on, they should not touch.
I use IEMs but still have the Sena 50S speakers installed inside my Arai XC-W OF and they do not touch my ears at all even with the IEMS in my ears.
Helmet speakers touching your ears, even slightly, will eventually cause irritation and discomfort.

Not familiar with the Shoei helmet headset mounting options......
I'm not familiar with IEMs; so, please bear with me.
I'm just wondering how the IEMs can help to cushion my ears from the hard plastics of the Sea speakers crushing my ears while wearing the helmet.
Could you kindly elaborate a little, please?

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.. are the ear pads removed on the RF1400?
There were removed (at first) but the Sena sponge on the speakers did not cushion the ears enough so I put the SHOEI sponge over the speakers to help lessen the pain.

I think there are ear pads to fill in the void when the speakers are not installed. On my helmet, my speakers sat to high up on my ears causing pressure on the tops of my ears - I had to dig the helmet foam out to lower the speakers. I had previously thought the speakers were well centered, but after removing the helmet liner so I could feel around where the speakers actually were with my fingers, that was when I found they were not centered, but high up towards the top of my ears.
Hmmm, sounds like you are saying I have to custom-cut the SHOEI helmet protective foam to allow the speakers to sit lower?

·
Registered
128 Posts
You should have pockets the speakers fit in. They have a bit of padding in the speaker pocket that comes out when you put the speaker in. I have found it is easier to removed the cheek pads completely when installing the speakers. The speakers nor padding should press on your ears.

Sports equipment Product Sports gear Automotive design Helmet

·
Registered
411 Posts
There were removed (at first) but the Sena sponge on the speakers did not cushion the ears enough so I put the SHOEI sponge over the speakers to help lessen the pain.

Hmmm, sounds like you are saying I have to custom-cut the SHOEI helmet protective foam to allow the speakers to sit lower?
No - I'm saying I had to on my helmet. On my helmet, I don't think they gave me enough "wiggle-room" to adjust the speakers to the apparently unique ear placement on my head. I may just be a little funny looking in that regard.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If need be, you can take out some of the Styrofoam from behind the speakers to give them more room.
There's a black plastic grill (like your picture) that is before the white foam, inside the helmet speaker socket.
Should the grill be cut out, too? Otherwise, how would removing some white foam help to set the speakers deeper?

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
I've had the problem on previous helmets. Had to use a dremel and excavate the Styrofoam under the speakers till they sat flush with the surrounding area. As long as you don't excavate into the outer shell it won't hurt the integrity of the helmet. Make a small channel for the speaker wire. Keep the edge tight for press fit for the speaker.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Since it was your first headset install, what instructions did you use? Did you follow a youtube video?

I don't believe the RF1200 I have is much different than your RF1400. I doubt the Packtalk Bold speakers I have are much different than the Sena speakers you have. I have a feeling your speaker installation is the problem. You just did it wrong.

Reactions: DaveFromDenver

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since it was your first headset install, what instructions did you use? Did you follow a youtube video?

I don't believe the RF1200 I have is much different than your RF1400. I doubt the Packtalk Bold speakers I have are much different than the Sena speakers you have. I have a feeling your speaker installation is the problem. You just did it wrong.
I followed the instructions on the Sena 50S Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have removed the speakers.
Pull out all the cheek paddings.

Re-installed the speakers into the socket and made sure they are flushed.

When putting the helmet on, it's OK now.
After the helmet is ON, it is alright now.
Removing the helmet needs to take a different route. I need to pull the helmet to the side, one side one pull and do it a couple of times while I shifted the helmet upwards.

Painful experience but learning.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
When putting the helmet on, it's OK now.
After the helmet is ON, it is alright now.
Removing the helmet needs to take a different route. I need to pull the helmet to the side, one side one pull and do it a couple of times while I shifted the helmet upwards.
A head skin may also help you, but you have to find one that covers your ears. That way your ears don't get caught on the speakers whether donning or doffing the helmet.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I'm not familiar with IEMs; so, please bear with me.
I'm just wondering how the IEMs can help to cushion my ears from the hard plastics of the Sea speakers crushing my ears while wearing the helmet.
Could you kindly elaborate a little, please?
IEMs (In Ear Monitors) are used in place of the in-helmet speakers, they offer much better fidelity and also provide hearing protection. They come in many varieties including custom molded to your ear canal.
They plug into the Sena 50S headset jack. You can choose to not even install the Sena speakers and just use IEMs, if you wish. I mounted the 50S speakers in may helmet as a backup, but have maybe used them once.

Do a search here on this forum or Google it, a ton of information about them.

Reactions: Interceptor

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
IEMs (In Ear Monitors) are used in place of the in-helmet speakers, they offer much better fidelity and also provide hearing protection. They come in many varieties including custom molded to your ear canal.
They plug into the Sena 50S headset jack. You can choose to not even install the Sena speakers and just use IEMs, if you wish. I mounted the 50S speakers in may helmet as a backup, but have maybe used them once.

Do a search here on this forum or Google it, a ton of information about them.
OK, I see AMZN is selling them as well.
But, they are designed to be like ear-buds and with hard plastics casings.
If I were to wear ear-buds and try to wear my Shoei, the process of slipping my ears pass the tight helmet paddings would cause the ear-bud plastics to either crush my ear-canals or they will be pushed out of my ears. I have tried it before. The only thing that will not come out are the soft rolled-in ear-plugs that are deeper into the ear canals.

Also, is your IEM wired or wireless?

How did you wear your IEMs and your helmet? Did you use special techniques to wear your helmet?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
OK, I see AMZN is selling them as well.
But, they are designed to be like ear-buds and with hard plastics casings.
If I were to wear ear-buds and try to wear my Shoei, the process of slipping my ears pass the tight helmet paddings would cause the ear-bud plastics to either crush my ear-canals or they will be pushed out of my ears. I have tried it before. The only thing that will not come out are the soft rolled-in ear-plugs that are deeper into the ear canals.

Also, is your IEM wired or wireless?

How did you wear your IEMs and your helmet? Did you use special techniques to wear your helmet?
Depends on the person.....
As mentioned, there are custom molded IEMs (more expensive) made of a soft silicone material that fit inside your ear and does not stick out. There are also others that are not custom molded but fit inside your ear canal........some of the them that look like ear buds work for some people, but not for me.....for the reasons you stated.
A lot of options......

Here is one recommended by a forum member that fit completely inside your ear canal and do not stick out......

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Depends on the person.....
As mentioned, there are custom molded IEMs (more expensive) made of a soft silicone material that fit inside your ear and does not stick out. There are also others that are not custom molded but fit inside your ear canal........some of the them that look like ear buds work for some people, but not for me.....for the reasons you stated.
A lot of options......

Here is one recommended by a forum member that fit completely inside your ear canal and do not stick out......

What is the custom one that you would recommend?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts