GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
A head skin may also help you, but you have to find one that covers your ears. That way your ears don't get caught on the speakers whether donning or doffing the helmet.
I always wear a helmet liner or head skin etc. Helmet slides on easier and helps prevent my ears from getting caught. It also keeps the liner a bit cleaner and won't stink quite as quick. It's HOT here in AZ and you definitely sweat 😓

Reactions: ArthurY

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I always wear a helmet liner or head skin etc. Helmet slides on easier and helps prevent my ears from getting caught. It also keeps the liner a bit cleaner and won't stink quite as quick. It's HOT here in AZ and you definitely sweat 😓

Good point. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,213 Posts
Depends on the person.....
As mentioned, there are custom molded IEMs (more expensive) made of a soft silicone material that fit inside your ear and does not stick out. There are also others that are not custom molded but fit inside your ear canal........some of the them that look like ear buds work for some people, but not for me.....for the reasons you stated.
A lot of options......

Here is one recommended by a forum member that fit completely inside your ear canal and do not stick out......

Yes, these will not stick out and you will not have a problem when you put on or take off the helmet. I had a problem with the Sena 20s speakers touching my ears, so I excavated the shoei neotech ear pockets to allow for a more flush fit, this fixed the problem with the ear speakers. Once you try the PlugUp in-ear monitors, though, you will want to wear them all the time as the fidelity is amazing, and it filters out ambient noise for what is for me a heavenly riding experience,

David

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, these will not stick out and you will not have a problem when you put on or take off the helmet. I had a problem with the Sena 20s speakers touching my ears, so I excavated the shoei neotech ear pockets to allow for a more flush fit, this fixed the problem with the ear speakers. Once you try the PlugUp in-ear monitors, though, you will want to wear them all the time as the fidelity is amazing, and it filters out ambient noise for what is for me a heavenly riding experience,

David
I just placed an order to try out the PlugUp.

The only issue is that it occupies the iPhone Lightning socket and prevents me from using CarPlay on the GW. How did you guys get around this?
I guess you can use one of these splitters but I can no longer have a mic?
I have not seen a 3-way splitter where there are:
1. mic socket
2. PlugUp ear buds socket
3. Lightning (for CarPlay).

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
What is the custom one that you would recommend?

David
Glad Dave chimed in......he recommended them to me and I think they are awesome. I ordered a pair and like them a lot.
I now have them as backup when my custom molded ones die (8-years old)

The custom molded IEMS I have are Sensaphonics and they use an impression of your inner ear to custom make them of soft flexible silicone. Problem is they are mega expensive and normally used by musicians and the like.
When I was working I got them for free (in 2014) as it was a reimbursement program for health and safety. I would never spend that kind of $$ myself.

Dave's recommendation is very good and a reasonable price, I would go with those IMHO.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Some of our helmets had these issues.

I removed some of the foam material using small die grinder bit.

Clear area, mark where you want the speaker(s), remove cheek pads etc. and grind away.

I would suggest you put on your helmet, stick your finger in to helmet to "feel" where approximate center if your ear opening are on the helmet side and scrape is so you can easily identify it after removing the helmet.

Suggest bit larger area to allow for precise positioning. Use whatever means you want to secure it there. I used 3M double stick tape.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I just placed an order to try out the PlugUp.

The only issue is that it occupies the iPhone Lightning socket and prevents me from using CarPlay on the GW. How did you guys get around this?
I guess you can use one of these splitters but I can no longer have a mic?
I have not seen a 3-way splitter where there are:
1. mic socket
2. PlugUp ear buds socket
3. Lightning (for CarPlay).
They use a 1/8" stereo plug which plugs into your Sena 50S, not your iPhone.
I recommend the shortest cable length (22") as it doesn't take much to go from your ears to the Sena.

·
Registered
2015 F6b Deluxe in Illusion Blue
84 Posts
Is there a good IEM that people recommend? I have tried everything to get my SENA 50S to be loud enough to hear anything and it just sucks. I have added pads to smash the speakers to my skull, which only makes my ears hot. Can't hear much at all with it. Gave up on trying to get it to work for me.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You can try a pair of these. Inexpensive, fit in the ear, and provide some noise protection. I myself use use Big Ear monitors. They were quite expensive, but for the past 4 years have worked flawlessly and are very comfortable. I have always liked the added noise protection of IEMs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The speaker pockets weren't big enough on my HJC for the Cardo JBL speakers. I ended up enlarging the pocket until the speakers fit without touching my ear. My Sedici Strada has nice big ear pockets and the JBL's fitted great without modification.

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Take the speakers off their VELCO & cut the speaker space vinyl down about 3/8" with an exacto knife. Carefully dig out a little styrofoam with a spoon do it so speakers fit foam tightly

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Is there a good IEM that people recommend? I have tried everything to get my SENA 50S to be loud enough to hear anything and it just sucks. I have added pads to smash the speakers to my skull, which only makes my ears hot. Can't hear much at all with it. Gave up on trying to get it to work for me.
You can get an inexpensive IEM for $60 or so...

You can try the M6 Pro for $50. Along with a helmet liner to keep 'em in place as you put your helmet on, you'll be amazed at the sound improvements.

I'm partial to these helmet liners: Helmet Liner w/Ties & Tail New Sizes

I'm using the MX1 Pro version, along with their custom earpieces - work great.

• Love

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
You can get an inexpensive IEM for $60 or so...

You can try the M6 Pro for $50. Along with a helmet liner to keep 'em in place as you put your helmet on, you'll be amazed at the sound improvements.

I'm partial to these helmet liners: Helmet Liner w/Ties & Tail New Sizes

I'm using the MX1 Pro version, along with their custom earpieces - work great.
Wonderful information, thank you!

I think the head liner is the key trick in putting on a bluetooth IEM. I agree that the IEM will provide significant advantage over SENA's external clumsy speakers.
I'm not impressed by the user-interface of Sena at all.
My quest to get all the connectivity issues ironed out, with what is in the market is slowly materializing.

I just tried the config using my winter head-liner just to see how viable it is with my existing Apple AirPods and it worked; albeit, quite tight because the winter head-liner is thicker. I have a thin polyester summer liner on order and it should be here in 2 days.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
Another recommendation for these headliners. Great for hot weather riding.

Reactions: Ratster and ArthurY

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
931 Posts
The one-size-fits-all helmets we get to choose from... don't.

Each head is different, and our ears and their orientation on our heads are different as well. I have forever fought with my helmets because of this. I've had several, and none of them line up with my ears. Each helmet is manufactured with some sort of ear pocket. However, the location of these pockets is always a problem for me. My ears sit well below the pockets of all my helmets. Solution? I've used in ear monitors with some success, but even they have problems. I had them custom molded to my ears and they fit perfectly... until I put the helmet on. I guess it changes the shape of my ear canals and in a few minutes, the in-ear monitors begin to hurt. Without the helmet, they are fine... for hours. But once the helmet's on, they hurt. Guess ya live and learn. Sad that I have a wonderful set of 400 dollar IEM's that I can't wear.
Speakers? Always feel like they're grinding on my ears. Seems like can't win.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The one-size-fits-all helmets we get to choose from... don't.

Each head is different, and our ears and their orientation on our heads are different as well. I have forever fought with my helmets because of this. I've had several, and none of them line up with my ears. Each helmet is manufactured with some sort of ear pocket. However, the location of these pockets is always a problem for me. My ears sit well below the pockets of all my helmets. Solution? I've used in ear monitors with some success, but even they have problems. I had them custom molded to my ears and they fit perfectly... until I put the helmet on. I guess it changes the shape of my ear canals and in a few minutes, the in-ear monitors begin to hurt. Without the helmet, they are fine... for hours. But once the helmet's on, they hurt. Guess ya live and learn. Sad that I have a wonderful set of 400 dollar IEM's that I can't wear.
Speakers? Always feel like they're grinding on my ears. Seems like can't win.
Great sharing of information from real life experiences. I'm grateful for this.

Perhaps, we are not meant to listen to music when riding on a motorcycle. :giggle:
But, I'm more interested in CarPlay's map verbal cues, or receiving urgent phone calls ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I’m a musician and suggest the following. These are amazing sound multi driver IEM. Added links for a better tangle free cord and memory foam rips which really help sound isolation. This setup gets amazing reviews from bass players:).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKYTGH9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQ77BLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IEE9D0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21 - 40 of 61 Posts