GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,213 Posts
These are what I call earbuds. In-ear monitors go into your ear.

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Hello,

I’m a musician and suggest the following. These are amazing sound multi driver IEM. Added links for a better tangle free cord and memory foam rips which really help sound isolation. This setup gets amazing reviews from bass players:).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKYTGH9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQ77BLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IEE9D0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those would never work for a lot of motorcyclists and definitely not for me.....
They stick out way too far and make helmet use nearly impossible, falling out or ripping your ear off when putting on or taking off your helmet.
A properly fitting helmet fits very snug...

Look at the IEMs posted earlier in this thread, recommended by DaveFromDenver......only thing exposed is a thin wire....the rest is inside your ear. Probably close to the best fidelity you're ever going to get on a motorcycle.

Reactions: DaveFromDenver

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
86 Posts
I have the SENA 50S installed in my Bell Qualifier MIPS helmet. I do have light contact on my ears but they are comfortable with the speaker pocket padding. I wanted the speakers tight to the head, but comfortable. No issues pulling the helmet on or off. I'm happy with the setup.

Reactions: DaveFromDenver

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have the SENA 50S installed in my Bell Qualifier MIPS helmet. I do have light contact on my ears but they are comfortable with the speaker pocket padding. I wanted the speakers tight to the head, but comfortable. No issues pulling the helmet on or off. I'm happy with the setup.
Are you wearing head-liners?
Is your helmet one size larger than what's recommended?
Just trying to see what works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hear what you are saying. They may not be a solution. Considering a cost all together under 100 or even the IEM I suggested for 60, if it doesn’t work, you will have totally Awesome head phones for listening at home!
Those would never work for a lot of motorcyclists and definitely not for me.....
They stick out way too far and make helmet use nearly impossible, falling out or ripping your ear off when putting on or taking off your helmet.
A properly fitting helmet fits very snug...

Look at the IEMs posted earlier in this thread, recommended by DaveFromDenver......only thing exposed is a thin wire....the rest is inside your ear. Probably close to the best fidelity you're ever going to get on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
86 Posts
Are you wearing head-liners?
Is your helmet one size larger than what's recommended?
Just trying to see what works.
No, sir. No headliners, and helmet is the correct size for my noggin. The Bell has the speaker pockets in the substrate with nothing in them. I used the thin Velcro to attach them into the pockets, and they are covered with the liner mesh in the helmet. Whatever you do, don't go with a larger-sized helmet for the sake of making these speakers comfortable. You don't want to compromise safety. However, if you can't make minor mods to your existing helmet (make the speaker pockets a little deeper), maybe consider trying a different brand helmet. SENA also makes their own helmets with the electronics integrated.

Best of luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: kwthom and ArthurY

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You can get an inexpensive IEM for $60 or so...

You can try the M6 Pro for $50. Along with a helmet liner to keep 'em in place as you put your helmet on, you'll be amazed at the sound improvements.

I'm partial to these helmet liners: Helmet Liner w/Ties & Tail New Sizes

I'm using the MX1 Pro version, along with their custom earpieces - work great.
I am trying out the M6 Pro bluetooth (BT) with a thin smooth head-liner and it does not allow me to slip on the tight-fitting helmet without tearing my ears apart.

For others who are advocating the wired earpiece solutions: the main reason why I'm looking to the BT solutions is because I want to reserve my iPhone lightning port for connecting to the GW for CarPlay and Phone usage.

I have a new helmet that is one size larger arriving tomorrow. Will see if that works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have tried the m6 pros and they are nice but seem to work out of the ears, at least for me.
Helmet speakers suck. I’ve tried various on different helmets. I have the plug ups and love them!!
absolutely no problem getting a helmet on or off. Take out wind noise. I use them with a cardo system and finally need to look no further!

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Got my Arai XD-4 that's one size larger than my current helmets.
I cannot believe that all this time, I was wearing helmets that were too tight for the shape of my head, even though I measured the head size.
The L size fits snugly but was significantly more comfortable than my SHOEI RF1400.

Now, waiting for my Cardo to arrive to test out the connectivity setup.

·
Premium Member
2021 Golding Bagger, 2006 GL1800P
505 Posts
Got my Arai XD-4 that's one size larger than my current helmets.
I cannot believe that all this time, I was wearing helmets that were too tight for the shape of my head, even though I measured the head size.
The L size fits snugly but was significantly more comfortable than my SHOEI RF1400.

Now, waiting for my Cardo to arrive to test out the connectivity setup.
One thing I have had to do, is to adjust the speaker pocket in the foam to move it slightly so it lines up better with my ears. Makes a huge difference in comfort and sound quality/level. Once you have them lined up properly, you can turn the volumes way down (even with noise filtering ear plugs in like Earpiece). I just used a utility knife and sharp wood chisel to do the mods. Takes several attempts to get it lined up. I did it in small increments. Once I was happy, then I applied the Velcro to the helmet to hold it in place.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Ordered 5/25/22
Shipped: 5/26/22
Received: 6/1/22
Not sure what happened to her.
I ordered close to 3 days ago and still not shipped.
Called her on the phone, no one picked up, and cannot leave voice-mail because vmailbox is full.
Hope nothing bad happened to her.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Not sure what happened to her.
I ordered close to 3 days ago and still not shipped.
Called her on the phone, no one picked up, and cannot leave voice-mail because vmailbox is full.
Hope nothing bad happened to her.
IMHO give them some time.......life happens and unexpected things are inevitable.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Just put on my 1st Comm (ever) on my Shoei RF1400 (medium) helmet.
I'd say my Helmet is a good fit helmet.
But, with the Sena50S speakers, the hard plastic crushes (physically) my ears when I put the helmet on.
There's also continuous pressure (due to the hard plastics of the speakers) and the hurt is unbearable after 5-10 mins.
The process of removing the helmet also hurts the ears tremendously due to the hard plastic crushing my ears.

If I were to increase the size of my helmet by 1 size, would that help ?
The thin sponge on the speakers simply do NOT help at all in cushioning the ears.
What are your experiences with speakers and helmets?
Take out the cushion behind them and they will sit further in the hole. They also have a round part that goes over the speaker between the speaker and your ear.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Take out the cushion behind them and they will sit further in the hole. They also have a round part that goes over the speaker between the speaker and your ear.
I returned the Sena50S and got an intermediate Cardo just for the mic & 3.5mm hole to insert my PlugUp IEM.

·
Registered
'22 Goldwing DCT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
IMHO give them some time.......life happens and unexpected things are inevitable.
She is attending Sturgis; so, I'm guessing she has a vendor booth there and was busy traveling and setting up the booth.
Anyway, she replied and gave me a tracking #.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts