GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going up thata way tomorrow, playing hookie from work, if any one is interested let me know.

My route will be 7 to Winchester, 81 south to 55 then from there its whichever is the best view. My mission will be to take photos of pretty countryside.

PM me if interested.

Thanks,

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, your correct....Hmmm maybe go to Skyline instead, hopefully traffic will not be that bad...

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yep,,,,,,,, I live only 20 miles from Seneca Rocks......... WX is rain now and turning cooler........ Not a good day tomorrow either........ I worked in Leesburg many years ago....... Nice community , but sure has growen in size ............... If you ever get in Petersburg headed to Seneca Rocks,, just ask for Bob the muffer man and stop by shop to chat........ I am located just past 7-11 store on same side of street............ By the way, they now have the new Corridor H duel lane road open from Wardensville to Moorefield........ Was over it today,,,,,,, Nice,,,,,,,,, and the most scenic view over the old RT 55........... Bob

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that bypass road has a great view, I will plan on next week depending on weather...

I remember several years ago I was headed out ot Petersburg and encountered some snow on a very hilly part of 55, lots of car accidents right in a little area...Really bizarre.

Hopefully there will be some leaves left.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Me and my freind had a little ride planned up that way but the weather changed our plan for now. We are going to keepan eye on the weather for next week.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I worked on several of the bridges on corridor H a few years ago. Haven't been down there since. I think I'll slip on down before the snow. I had no idea that the new road would be scenic. When I'm on these jobs it's just mud everywhere. Kind of ruins the scenery.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the scenery is better than skyline drive, I wish there were more turn offs to stop for photos. Really nice road, then if you want a bit of a challenge take old rt 55, nice twisty mountain road.

I did make it to skyline , it was cold windy and we had snow flurries....I need some heated gloves...

Weather permitting , we plan on next week as well.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I was just on corridor H heading east last week and it was not open yet. I had started out towards Blackwater Falls but had to detour and head back east because the fog was too bad. Time for another ride west I can see, now that the eastern part of the road is now open. Because there is so little traffic on Corridor H, you can safely make your own pull offs and take all the photos you want (at least I have been able to do so w/o any problems). There are times when I have ridden almost all that original 12 - 14 mile stretch w/o seeing another vehicle.

Henn4, going back to the Smoke Hole, Seneca Rocks area is perhaps my favorite in which to ride. If you have not found Smoke Hole Road (CR 28-11 I think), please let me know. Have a friend that has ridden the Dragon and he likes SM Rd better. You can easily access the road just six miles south of Petersburg on 55/28. It is about 12 - 14 very windy and curvy miles down into the Smoke Hole Canyon, then another five miles back out to rte 220 approx. 19 miles S of Petersburg.

Next time we have some good weather and you want to ride in that direction, I would be glad to join you. I take back roads out of Stephens City to Lebanon Church where I pick up rte 55, and then on to Wardensville. I also like to ride down some back roads towards Woodstock to rte 42, to Columbia Furnace, to Wolf Gap Road, up over Wolf Gap mtn. to Perry, WV, then toward Lost City to rte 259, then to Baker where you pick up Corridor H or old rte 55. There are some really good roads west of where I live from which to choose. Hey, why not ride them all.......... more than once. :D Ride safely always.

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts