GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Shoei Neotech II helmet and have been considering installing the Sena SRL. I’ve been reading a lot about all types of problems with these units. It seems very questionable to move forward. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Just Installed Sena SRL

I love my Shoei Neotech II helmet and have been considering installing the Sena SRL. I’ve been reading a lot about all types of problems with these units. It seems very questionable to move forward. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
I just installed my recently delivered Sena SRL for my NeoTec II, thanks to some recent post on pairing it to the GW1833 I had it paired and so far so good. The install of the SRL into the Helmet was a pain for me, but once I figured out how to re-install the neck collar back onto the helmet all is well. Give me a month or two to run it through its paces due to the learning curve of various function of the (3) button controls. Also has voice commands which I have yet to experiment with-ran out of time to try them. Biggest issue I have heard is the pairing sequence to the GW1833, but no problem after following the install sequence. The fit & function is great as it should be, as the two components were designed for each other. I think you really don't have anything to fear at this time. As you already know the system Helmet/SRL is big $$$ but knowing what I know now I would buy it again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. For now I plan to pair the headset with my android phone. I am also considering getting this Sens SM 10 in order to connect up all of the features from the bike. What made me nervous is when I went to the Sena support site and saw all of the posts regarding all of the problems with the SRL. Especially with it being a new product. I have a unit waiting for me at the dealer so I have a little time to wait but just not sure if it’ll be worth the 300 bucks.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have the neotec 2 and the srl and love them both. Everything new takes a bit of getting used to, but I LIKE THE SIMPLICITY of this unit. Also the install is so clean. BTW, I also have a 20s mounted in my schuberth c3 pro and I prefer the neotec.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
OBTW biglefti has detailed pairing instructions to get you up and running the SRL to the GW1833! Thanks, biglefti!

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Great instructons pairing SRL

I have the neotec 2 and the srl and love them both. Everything new takes a bit of getting used to, but I LIKE THE SIMPLICITY of this unit. Also the install is so clean. BTW, I also have a 20s mounted in my schuberth c3 pro and I prefer the neotec.
Thanks @biglefti, for the detailed instructions on pairing the SRL to the GW1833!:laugh:

·
Registered
545 Posts
The system works fine once you get it figured out. In my case, the dealership linked my phone to the bike first and that is what created all of my issues. I reset the system and linked the helmet to the bike and then the helmet to the phone and it seems to be good now...

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Thanks @biglefti, for the detailed instructions on pairing the SRL to the GW1833!:laugh:
You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. These things can be a bit frustrating as we are learning as we go without a service manual.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Agree

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. These things can be a bit frustrating as we are learning as we go without a service manual.
:agree:
Yea, a bit of a learning curve with the revamped GW1833 not to mention the Sena SRL and it's learning curve. But it's people like you sharing what you discovered that makes this site great!

Reactions: biglefti

·
Registered
545 Posts
The system works fine once you get it figured out.

Maybe not. I thought I had it working properly but I have had several recent issues that I , and two dealerships, could not fix. Today I spent an hour on the phone with SENA going over the various ways to get this entire system to work properly and we ended the call with "unfortunately, it's not going to fully function with the new Gold Wing". Going to skip Apple car play and just use the helmet connected to the phone and call it good.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Had the SRL in the Neotec 2 for a month. Paired up with phone, cb, system with no problem. BUT... The speakers are the worse I've ever heard. A very tinny sound, poor quality... Went back to the Sena 20s and my earbuds. Much better!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for your response. For now I plan to pair the headset with my android phone. I am also considering getting this Sens SM 10 in order to connect up all of the features from the bike. What made me nervous is when I went to the Sena support site and saw all of the posts regarding all of the problems with the SRL. Especially with it being a new product. I have a unit waiting for me at the dealer so I have a little time to wait but just not sure if it’ll be worth the 300 bucks.
I bought the new Shoei and wasn't going to buy the SRL, but then decided to after all. It's a very slick piece of kit. I have an older GL ('06) and paired the SRL to my SM10, my android phone, and my wife's and brother's SMH10's with no issue. The microphone didn't work on the first unit I got, but it was replaced on warranty with a new one that has worked fine. It's perhaps not quite as easy to use as the big knob and small button on the SMH10, but I'm sure I'll used to it.

Is it worth it, well no, not really; but it is a nice unit as far as I can tell so far.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,152 Posts
Sena abandoned 20s users who want to connect with more than one other unit.

Unforgettable, that’s what you are....

David

·
Registered
21,337 Posts

David
So would the supposedly new improved Sena 20s EVO be any better ? I’m probably going to buy something in a week or so, I need it to work with my Zumo 595 when riding my Yamaha Tenere

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Well I just placed an order with Sierra electronics for a dual pack 20s EVO, hopefully I don’t have to much trouble with it. I’ve done business with Sierra before and they always seem plenty knowledgeable and helpful .
https://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=1

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I bought the new Shoei and wasn't going to buy the SRL, but then decided to after all. It's a very slick piece of kit. I have an older GL ('06) and paired the SRL to my SM10, my android phone, and my wife's and brother's SMH10's with no issue. The microphone didn't work on the first unit I got, but it was replaced on warranty with a new one that has worked fine. It's perhaps not quite as easy to use as the big knob and small button on the SMH10, but I'm sure I'll used to it.

Is it worth it, well no, not really; but it is a nice unit as far as I can tell so far.
Do you have a CB on your 06? I have friend that the SRL mike will not work with the Freewire unit. So could it just be the mike is bad?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Sena 20S

David
How has Sena abandoned the 20S users? It uses the same software as the EVO and uses the same mount as the 30K. I connect with my phone and a Freewire on a daily basis. I also add a 20S intercom connection when my wife rides with me. I've had multiple intercom sessions paired to the 20S and it works OK as long as only one is active. It is widely reported that the EVO has the same popping problems with multiple simultaneous intercom connections that the 20S does. If anyone is being abandoned iit is the 30K users. That unit has terrible problems. I thought the 20S had a lot of problems when it was introduced, but those issues do not hold a candle to the problems 30K users have experienced.

It is my belief (uninformed that it is) that the problems with the 20S, EVO and the 30K which still remain are hardware problems that Sena will not be able to fix with software updates. I suspect the only real resolution will be replacement headsets.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you have a CB on your 06? I have friend that the SRL mike will not work with the Freewire unit. So could it just be the mike is bad?
No, I don't - and I have it paired to a SM-10, not a Freewire. Someone on another forum mentioned their mike not working and that it somehow was related to the order of pairing, but that was with a 2018 so no idea whether it could be related.

Reactions: boxmaker

·
Registered
292 Posts

Well, I'm on my third SRL now. Yesterday after about 8.5hrs listening to music the battery died and it shut itself down. Plugged it in when I got home and the light didn't come on. Left it for a few hours and no change - dead to the world. Called Sena this morning and went through some troubleshooting, but no go. Took it in to the store and they took my case number and dealt with Sena and replaced the intercom; again. I'm pretty tempted to let this one's battery die as well and see what happens. Hopefully this one works properly.

Has anyone else here let theirs die while using it and charged it up again?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes. I've had my Sena SRL shut down with a dead battery and it charged OK. I turned it on one morning and held the buttons for 6 seconds
to get check battery level. It said "Hello, Your battery level is low, Goodbye" and shut down. It charged up just fine. I've had that happen
several times in the last 4 months. I have 3 different helmets with Bluetooth, so I just plug it in to charge and grab a different helmet. My
Shoei Neotec II with SRL is my favorite helmet. My other 2 helmets have J&M BT-03 headsets which will soon be upgraded to BT-04 according
to John Lazzeroni of J&M.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts