GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still having starting problems. Took the '03 GL1800 to the shop last week for starting problems and rode it home yesterday and it ran fine. Pushed the button this morning and it would not start. Tried several times. Then I put it in gear, bumped it back and forth a few times, put it back into N and it started.
I'm thinking maybe a crank position sensor or something but I can't find anything on Babbitt's or any other diagram as to, is there one and if so where is it? Are there other sensors that that "trick" may have adjusted?
I'm still must try this "fix" a few more times when it won't start to see if it works again of if it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Are you NOT getting any Fault Indicator codes? My 2015 was really intermittent like that and they finally fixed it after I got the bike to throw a nineteen flash code. Even after they pulled the sensor causing the problem out and it checked good the shop got permission from HONDA to just replace it. That was over three years ago. Never repeated since.

Not throwing a code is a real bugger. It's a guessing game from there.

Here is an old link to the problem.. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/185507-ignition-pulse-generator.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a loose wire on the ECM plug quite by accident. Wiggle it and the bike stops, wiggle again and the bike starts.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm guessing while you had it in the shop they could not get it to fail at all. Is that correct. Unfortunately, these things are so sophisticated the computer can be fooled. Sounds like you may have had a case of "GOOD LUCK" finally!! Does that wire come totally out of the connector or just wiggles? If you haven't already, I'd suggest you take the connector totally loose and make sure the pin is not broken. Just loose you could probably put a drop of super glue on the pin hole and let it seep in a bit as it cures.

I'm thinking that replacing that entire connector would get expensive (labor intensive)....

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Found a loose wire on the ECM plug quite by accident. Wiggle it and the bike stops, wiggle again and the bike starts.

You're one lucky man, to find that loose ECM plug ......Hope that was your problem...

Ronnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts