GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were in the market for a new 2009 GL1800, what level Goldwing would you buy?

#1... Audio Comfort

#2... Audio Comfort Navi XM

#3... Audio Comfort Navi AM ABS

#4... Airbag

Would the extra features, Navi, XM, be worth buying just to get ABS?

Would the above features be worth buying just to get the airbag?

How about easy maintenance when working around the extra units/wires?
(If you pay a wrench by the hour, the airbag model has to be a bear in extra cost, like all our add-ons, belly pan etc.)

Color not important here.

Give this some thought and let me know.

Cheers!

·
Vendor
21,428 Posts
Personally, I won't buy another motorcycle that doesn't have ABS. Especially one that I plan to take on long trips and tour on. It is a requirement. Honda really should make it standard, but they are using ABS to hold us hostage and force us to get the Nav and other stuff that they know wouldn't sell good on it's own.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Ditto Fred H and agree with hunzee

·
Registered
477 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I would be very hesitant to buy a 2009 model because it is close to the end of its life. I hate buying a car and the next year or two it changes dramatically. I suspect the next time the model is updated it will be a significant change. The 2009 is not a major update. I have an 2007 with ABS, NAV, and comfort. After seeing a couple of You Tube video demonstrations on the benefits of ABS, I was sold. Its an important safety feature, that really should be standard on every Wing. I think ABS is worth getting.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would want ABS but, the NAV is not so hot, there are a lot of much better GPS units available. A portable xm is easy to mount anyway.
:croc:
Nope not worth it to me.....I bought a basic package on my '05
I would do the same again.

But I sure do wish Honda would let me add just the ABS!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with the ABS comments above. With a bike this heavy, it's a must. I don't know about the airbag since I haven't read about anyone saved in a spectacular crash because of it.

As far as 2009, I would wait to see what comes out of Japan in 2010. Then I can decide which model to choose from. Some suspect a major redesign. If not, I am sure remaining new 2009 models will still be available.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Winter is God's way of punishing us for too much riding fun in the summer.:snow1:

Image what his got in store for the ones that ride year around.........:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Another vote for ABS as a must have.

I also am not hung up on the Nav features, at least as implemented on the 08, although it sounds as if the 09 version is much improved.

I think I would consider the implications of the control relocations when deciding about an airbag version. When we added the 08 to the fleet we had the preconcieved idea that we were after an ABS model an so did not evaluate the airbag control locations.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The reason I ended up owning an 1800 was the ABS brake system. None of us ever plan to be in a situation that you need them. None of us wish to have to need them. But I was in a situation on a bike with non linked single front and rear brakes and once I figured out I had survived it. I went shopping and purchased a 1800.

I also will never ride on the street another bike that does not have the ABS brake system.

The airbag could not hurt either. It could and will save your life in a head on or a t-bone situation.

What cannot hurt you cannot help but help you. Do not get hung up on you have to buy this to get this, it is your safety, your life. Anything that can keep you more safe is worth every penny.

Kit

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
+1 on ABS... I have it.

I disagree with Fred that Honda puts it on the bikes with XM and NAV to force us to buy things we otherwise wouldn't want... I think if Honda thought the GW would sell great as a basic bike with "only" ABS as the extra, they would make it that way...

I think it was just a business decision, put "all" the stuff on this model... that's the way they felt most folks would want an ABS bike.... not necessarily the right decision, but it was their decision. I think it was the right one, personally.

The NAV may not be the best, but it is fine for the many of us. I think they underestimated the capability many would want out of it. Hopefully, they will improve that in the future. XM... I like it, I don't have it on my 2008 but I have Sirius in my Ranger and I like it; I would like it on my bike... and I would like an intergraded unit, the NAV built in as well, just because it's nicer that way and you don't have to remove it to keep it from being stolen.

Having a bunch of extras hanging all over the handlebars is not my bag...

Honda's next big step... intergraded iPod connection, ditch the CD player... make it were you can hook up an iPod in the trunk and control it completely from the handlebar controls and NAV screen...should be simple, in reality.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just went through that decision. I bought an 09 abs. I love the nav and weather maps. I have so much to play with. I'm very glad I bought the 09 with the updated nav system.
Darts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I agree with the ABS comments above. With a bike this heavy, it's a must. I don't know about the airbag since I haven't read about anyone saved in a spectacular crash because of it.
IF I get another Wing (I tend to keep my bikes longer now), it will have the most safety equipment Honda has to offer.

Back in the summer I met a new Wing owner who had bought the airbag model. Looked nice! A few months later I found out he T-boned a SUV. He only had a few scratches and bruises. It totaled the Wing though. He is talking about getting a new Wing in the spring and it will have an airbag - he is sold on it saved him a hospital stay and huge medical bills.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Image what his got in store for the ones that ride year around.........:thumbup:
Now you got me worried.:lol:

I would go with the #3. I don't care for the other stuff except the XM but I do like the ABS. JMHO

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 2001, 2005 and 2009 all had ABS.
Was forced to buy NAV and sound Package and EM to get it on my 2009, you can keep the EM and NAV already have GPS that works a lot better. Never use speakers, always head set

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Number 3 for me! Must have ABS. Maybe the next one may have the Airbag! One never knows.

Shadow1

Hal

D

·
0 Posts
If money is any consideration, I was in this pickle recently and made the decision to forgo the '09 TPMS, XM in exchange for getting an Air Bag on a new '08. If you like many others have truck loads of money get the '09 Air Bag and put your safety first. I can add an after market TPMS that is probably better than the '09 factory unit and I've been a Sirius subscriber since they first lite up the satellites so XM would not give me my multi-unit discount anyway like Sirius will. I'll just add the TPMS and Sirius units to my '08 at some point.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts