GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was going to back out of the garage and put the bike in Reverse and it kept bucking wouldn't stay in gear, the reverse lite would just keep blinking.....I took it out of reverse and did it by foot and tried it on level ground, same thing. I then put the bike in 1st and drove back in to the garage and put the kick stand down and the bike was still in gear and sounded funny...like the starter was still engaged...... I put the kick stand BACK UP and it was normal sounding. I turned the bike OFF and the bike was STILL RUNNING...I used the kill switch and it was still running.......I just stood there with key in hand and the bike running. I finally discounnected the battery and it was still running for about 40 seconds before it died.......any thought on this matter?

bruce aka 'the blue trawler"

·
Registered
270 Posts
blue,

It is, after all, Friday the 13th.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CUTE not what I was looking for u think that has something to do with it....I am sooooo upset.......about this...hope my extended warrenty will cover it...it covers whatever isn't broken....

bruce aka 'the blue trawler"

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you just started it it probley was not hot enough to be desiling, I would check the starter and starter relay. seems several guys have had arched relays.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Bruce,

Check your starter relays with instructions in the email I just sent you. Let us know if that helped.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
As long as you are still in the warranty period it's covered.

That is the wierdest thing I've heard of yet. The kill switch should have stopped it no matter what.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Had a sled dog like that once; just wants to run. Get on it and ride like hell!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Seems to me that once the starter relay welded itself shut, removing the key would make no difference. The igntion switch provides a path for current to close the solenoid on the starter relay. Turning the key off will interupt that circuit, but once it's welded shut, it doesn't need that circuit.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ed Siemers said:
Seems to me that once the starter relay welded itself shut, removing the key would make no difference. The igntion switch provides a path for current to close the solenoid on the starter relay. Turning the key off will interupt that circuit, but once it's welded shut, it doesn't need that circuit.
That's true, Ed. But once he removed the battery cable, there'd be no juice for either the ignition, fuel pump, or the starter. I don't see how it's possible that the bike ran for even a millisecond after that battery cable came off, not even if it were dieseling - it would still need fuel.

Stu

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Is it still out there? Better check, it may have taken off by itself. :shock:

I

·
0 Posts
It is Friday the 13th. :p

See dealer on Monday the 16th if it doesn't straighten out. Even if the problem does go away , I would still be concerned because it will probably do it again. No way should it have done that. Something is FUBAR.

Ride safe.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
Fuel injection/Ignition relay contacts stuck. Removing the battery cable may not kill the engine due to the alternator sustaining voltage on the fuse box side of the system. Pulling fuse #17 would have killed it for sure. Before anyone says it's not possible, just let me say I have driven a car to the parts store to buy a new battery without a battery installed in it. I jumped the car with just a pair of cables and off we went. It will work as long as nothing current hungry is turned on. I'd say it would have kept running but the headlights were probably too much for it. :D

·
Registered
442 Posts
You don't call the bike Christine do you? Disconect the battery and it still runs that long.

·
Vendor
21,886 Posts
Blue Trawler,

I got your phone message but the phone number on the machine was hard for me to understand. It seemed like it was missing a digit. I am on the road right now, so it may be hard to get ahold of me.

Others have had the same problem and it is usually caused by the starter A relay. I have some photos of the relays here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/starterrelays

If it were my bike, I would just replace BOTH starter A and starter B relays.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Bruce, I didn't get your VM until late today for some reason. I agree - I would look at your starter relays as well. Your bike is old enough that it's a highly probable scenario.

Do you have a local dealer that can help you troubleshoot it?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Stu-O

I have not looked at the prints, but on my car and some of my other bikes, when you pulled the battery while it was running, you lost regulation but you had plenty of voltage because the alternator was still up and running and producing voltage for the injectors, spark, lights, etc etc.

One time I was just messing around with a bike and noticed that when I removed the wires from the positive terminal and had a DC Voltmeter on the wire, the voltage would oscillate a little between 10 and 18 volts, but it did keep on running ..

JMHO 8)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts