GL1800Riders Forums banner
181 - 184 of 184 Posts

· Registered
2,493 Posts
Tim - I've stated in virtually all of my posts on this topic today the question of why the tuning and performance mods of Goldwings has been limited as a result of this targeting, while Dynojet and all of the others aftermarkert suppliers remain strong and viable with other bikes, particularly Harley's? Yes, they went after Harley themselves for engaging, but none of the aftermarket guys to my knowledge. Go to Dynojet.com and look yourself. You can buy Power Commanders with premade tunes for every bike under the sun - and most Harley's - even other Honda's, but not a Goldwing. So your point about not signaling out Goldwings is not based on fact. Look up Moore for the crotch rockets too. The listing of aftermarket tuners covering other bikes is almost endless.
Ok. I was not aware you had previously argued that Gold Wings had been “targeted.” I have no knowledge or facts to dispute that.

That does make me wonder, though, whether the Gold Wing in particular was “targeted”, or was it the supplier? (I am not asking for a response, just thinking aloud.)

Thanks for explaining.

Tim

· Registered
213 Posts
Thing is, if you tune a Harley, the Motor Company will void the warranty. This has been going on for a few years, ever since a legal settlement between HD and the EPA.
Don't understand your point? As you are probably not aware, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents any manufacturer to broadly void a warranty unless they can prove that the failure can be directly attributed to the modification. That is applicable across all manufacturers.
This has nothing to do with a warranty claim. For the past several years, riders with warranties who had had their ECMs flashed for performance, have had the remainder of their warranties canceled by the Motor Company. This is found out when, say, a routine service is done at a dealer shop. The tech hooks up the bike to the computer. Then the bike's warranty is flagged. My understanding is that this is required by the EPA according to a settlement between EPA and HD.

· Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
708 Posts
This has nothing to do with a warranty claim. For the past several years, riders with warranties who had had their ECMs flashed for performance, have had the remainder of their warranties canceled by the Motor Company. This is found out when, say, a routine service is done at a dealer shop. The tech hooks up the bike to the computer. Then the bike's warranty is flagged. My understanding is that this is required by the EPA according to a settlement between EPA and HD.
Krusty - YOU are the one who brought up the Warranty Void issue. I replied that the as a result of the MM Act, Manufacturers can only decline a repair for an item that is directly affected by the modification. The manufacture CANNOT Void the portions of a Warranty for non-related issues. For example, if you mod your engine and it blows up, you are liable. However, if at the same time you tell them the windshield motor stopped working as well, and it's still during the warranty period, that portion of the warranty remains in effect. Similarly, they cannot void a warranty by using an aftermarket oil filter, oil, or other aftermarket parts, if it meets the Mfr's spec's.

That said, if there is no claim by the owner, the Manufacturers can jump up and down all they want, but a warranty is not in contest until there is an actual claim. To that point, there is no regulations against making very broad void proclamations. That's fine. The owner upon a failure has every right to make a claim and follow the process to prove the modification was not related. That right remains.

· Love The DCT
13,804 Posts
These are the injunctive relief requirements of the EPA actions against Harley regarding their super tuners.

1. Will immediately stop selling the tuners, buy back all of the tuners in stock at their dealerships and destroy the tuners.

2. Obtain certification from the California Air Resources Board for any tuners it sells in the future. These certifications will demonstrate that new tuners do not cause their motorcycles to exceed their certified emissions limits.

3. Will conduct tests on tuner-equipped motorcycles and provide the results to EPA to guarantee that their motorcycles remain in compliance with EPA certification requirements for emissions.

4. Will also ensure that all of its future motorcycle models intended for sale in the United States are fully certified by EPA.

181 - 184 of 184 Posts