GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my wing for two years now, I am having a lot of knee
pain, I had a MRI done and may need a total knee replacement on both
knees. My main concern is can I continue riding with fake knees?
has anyone on this forum dad this surgery done??

·
Registered
289 Posts
My Father inlaw had one knee replaced and he is doing fine. Do not let them do both of them at the same time. It took him a couple of months to recover.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I had a total knee replacement 2 years ago. Have riddin almost 30K.
since surgery. wished I had done it sooner. Just work hard in therapy and you will be fine.
Good Luck
Mick :D

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I ride with a guy with both total knee replacements. He rides after 1 month from surgery

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sure did!!! I had both my knees replaced at the same time in Jul 02 at age 63, after waiting about five years. Decided I only wanted one surgery and one recovery. If you are in good health and fitness going in, I would highly recommend having both replaced at the same time. You may have to improvise how you do some things during the recovery phase because you will not have a "good" leg with which to lean, but you CAN do it! :D

I could not give you any better advice than what Mick and Kandgo have offered and enthusiastically support that point of view. Post-surgery, work faithfull and diligently on your reahab.

I did not start riding a motorcycle until late Jul 05 at 66. This past Jul - Aug I completed a cross country trip of 7,000 miles on my VTX 1300 by myself. Within the week after returning home I went to the local dealership to talk with them about my trip and found an 05 GL1800 w/8300 miles. I now own it and have sold my X. Absolutely no problems what-so-ever riding a motorcycle, short or long distance. Have joyfully put over 2300 miles on the GW in the seven weeks I have owned it. :D

You can do it but each person's situation is unique to him or her. Just try to get into as good physical condition BEFORE having surgery as you can. And as others have advised, follow your surgeon's instructions to the letter and work hard in rehabbing.

Best wishes and have a safe and successful surgery, be it one or two knees. :)

Todd

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
One of the guys in the club I ride with Bananna Bob had both done 2 yrs agoand was riding a few of months after surgery. Had it done in the winter time so he would not lose any riding time. He does around 30,000 to 35,000 a year. He has an 02 yellow, hence the name. Doesnt seem to faze him a bit
And I wish he would have never let me ride his bike. I thought I was perfectly happy with my Voyager 1200.

I

·
0 Posts
If your surgery still leaves you "weak in the knees", consider a trike. They are great fun and they don't tip over.

Ride safe. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You'll be able to ride, probably better than now. Just rehab the way the doc tells you to, and don't hurry things. There are many good total knee systems out there, given a choice, I would use the Intermedic's Total Knee prosthesis. I have worked on many of them, just my opinion, but I like their system the best.. Not affiliated, yadda yadda.......good luck with the surgery.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If you want to tlak to Banana Bob, I will arrange that. PM me

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope you can........... I ride with one right artifical leg and my left Knee was shattered...... way back in those Army days

It's all a matter of what Hwy pegs you get and whats going on in your mind........ I mean take your time and work through your pain and it will be o'k soon.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
wvnnva...I didn't know you were that old... :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! you give me the confidence I needed.
guess I should work on getting rid of the (beer) actually food belly :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Just thought I would add that I went through ACL replacement surgery 9 days ago and expect to be riding again by the end of this week. The bike is hooked up to the battery trickle charger with a full tank of gas at this moment!!!! I know the full knee replacement will take a bit more time but from my experience I would guess about 4 weeks till ride time would be a close estimate. A lot of it depends on your health/strength before the surgery which is why they sent me to rehab for 3 weeks in advance. Also your mental attitude is very important. You can do it if you really want to. One other thing to add. The pain was not near as bad as every one said it would be. I took my self off the pain pills on day 4 after the surgery. I was tired of sleeping 20 hours a day. Have been using Aleve and Tylenol on a part time basis since then. Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
wvnnva...I didn't know you were that old... :lol:
Jerry, I R what I is, or is what I R? :? :lol:

Todd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts