GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stopped at the local honda dealer today to check some part numbers for my wifes bike.

while speaking to the service manager, he askred if i was going to bring my bike in for the ecm recall. i didnt think i ever met him before, but soemhow he knew me.

we talked for a few minutes about it. i then related my concerns about negative after effects of the ecm solution.

he openly stated that they had several bikes that the gas mileage suffered greatly after the fix. and in fact one guys bike was there in the shop waiting for a service guy to try and remedy the low mileage.

that further scares me away from the so called fix.

loren

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Strange

What he describes is definitely NOT the norm. Since the ECM change my gas mileage has remained the same, the bike is a little smother in first gear, the bike has fresh coolant, and it truly seems to run cooler. There have been a few bad ECMs that have had to be swapped out afterwards, but not many. I know that they change the resistor so that the gauge takes longer to move to the red, but that seems to be okay on mine. I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Dittos here. I found the first gear pull out to be noticably smoother with the ECM change, and had no loss of fuel economy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No loss of mileage here either, and the performance seems better at low speeds. :!: Get it done! You will hear horror stories about anything that is done from someone.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I think that I picked up a mile or two, Bike is a lot smoother than it ever was. And get this: It has never gone above center on the gage.

Sorry Loren, but I think there might be another problem on that bike, 02 sensor or something.

Little PS here. If I was going to buy a used 1800 and it did not have the ECM done, I think that I would shy from it.

Bulldog

·
Registered
569 Posts
ECM change

My 02 is not idling correctly after the change. It idles about 1200 rpm and is not as smooth as it used to be. I have disconnected the battery yesterday and am going to reconnect it tonight and reset the ECM to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There was absolutely no change in my gas mileage after the ecm change, looking at the posts at the time when most were being done, the vast majority had no change, and a few reported better gas mileage.

When you get down to the basics, the ecm change shouldn't have any influence on your gas mileage, it only effects very low engine speeds, and most people don't spend any time in that area of operation, you just accelerate through it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
ECM

Seems to me to be fine. I've not experienced any decrease in performance or mpg.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My mileage has gone up from 37-38 to 42-43 on the highway, 38-39 town. Hard to attribute all that to the ECM change, which was done at about 5,000 miles (11,000 miles ago). Part might be due to further run-in on the engine, part may be attributable to the streamlining caused by the Tulsa Extra Tall windshield installed at about 6,000 miles. I have had one instance (in stop and go at a highway jam) when the temp gauge went above the halfway mark -- not even close to the red. Low end seems much smoother.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Had mine done last August.................

No change at all...............gas mileage 40 - 42 all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts