GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this an ongoing test. Honda's Service Manual miss print waisted 1.5 days of time. I will go back to my old method of torqueing the crank shaft bearings. They sure keep me on my toes.

Pages 11-13 and 11-17 are miss leading in the 01-05 manual and completely different in the 06-10 manual. Errrrr !!!!! I am glad I caught it. Good luck to the next person.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Is this an ongoing test. Honda's Service Manual miss print waisted 1.5 days of time. I will go back to my old method of torqueing the crank shaft bearings. They sure keep me on my toes.

Pages 11-13 and 11-17 are miss leading in the 01-05 manual and completely different in the 06-10 manual. Errrrr !!!!! I am glad I caught it. Good luck to the next person.
I am sure the guy who's bike your working on appreciates it.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Greg, I'm looking at the 01-05 vs the 06-08 electronic versions and I'm missing the boo boo. I am old and senile ya know. :shrug:

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the old version, do you see the pix where they mark the crank cap bolt in 2 areas at the corners? When you see that, why would they do that?

This crank is installed and right on schedule. I wanted it installed and plastigauged before leaving on my "date" with my Wing. My Wing wants to prove something to me ... it want my trust, and I'm going along for the ride ... my Wing and I are heading to the Gap.

See my other post http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287716

Below is an installed crank, a bolt mark (I used to use a 45 deg carpenters triangle) and a motor put away for 7 days.

Techdude ... did you spot that missleading miss print? Look at my center pix.

Attachments

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Yes, I saw that and didn't think anything of it. I wouldn't go by their picture anyway considering the spec is 14 lbs/ft +45 degrees. I wouldn't even pay attention to where the bolt head stopped as long as I followed their spec tightening it.

I consider that the same as 14lbs/ft and then turn it another 1/8th of a turn.

They did omit the little inset picture of the bolt head in the later manual, it's odd they put it in there at all in the earlier one. That one isn't as bad as a few I've come across in the wiring diagrams. :roll:

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
In the old version, do you see the pix where they mark the crank cap bolt in 2 areas at the corners? When you see that, why would they do that?

This crank is installed and right on schedule. I wanted it installed and plastigauged before leaving on my "date" with my Wing. My Wing wants to prove something to me ... it want my trust, and I'm going along for the ride ... my Wing and I are heading to the Gap.

See my other post http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287716

Below is an installed crank, a bolt mark (I used to use a 45 deg carpenters triangle) and a motor put away for 7 days.

Techdude ... did you spot that missleading miss print? Look at my center pix.
What did we do before we had the internet. Have a safe trip.

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I saw that and didn't think anything of it. I wouldn't go by their picture anyway considering the spec is 14 lbs/ft +45 degrees. I wouldn't even pay attention to where the bolt head stopped as long as I followed their spec tightening it.

I consider that the same as 14lbs/ft and then turn it another 1/8th of a turn.

They did omit the little inset picture of the bolt head in the later manual, it's odd they put it in there at all in the earlier one. That one isn't as bad as a few I've come across in the wiring diagrams. :roll:
I used to use a carpenters triangle with a straight edge and a 45 deg. Lined it up against the crank, torqued to 14 ft/lbs, then turned it another 45 deg according to the 45 deg triangle ... simple! This time I saw that pix ... what a great idea until I relized their pix shows a 90 deg turn.

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure the guy who's bike your working on appreciates it.
Wait till he gets his bike. Not having to ride in constant fear of a ghost shift is awesume!!!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Many sections of the early manuals were very haphazardly put together. They were obviously in a rush, or an intern did all the work. Every manual has a lot of mistakes. But these were especially poor.

Even the section on bleeding the brakes turns a simple job into a big mess. I had to read that 4-5 page section about a dozen times before I was able to figure out what they were trying to say.

Throughout the 01-03 manual, pictures don't match the text.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts