GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am getting ready for my initial 4000 mile service on my '18 DCT tour, purchased last spring at Honda of Russellville. I live near New Braunfels and am not familiar with any of the local dealers. Would appreciate service recommendations for the New Braunfels, San Antonio, Austin areas. I would also be willing to drive to Houston for the most reliable service. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, look up Cruiseman's Garage on youtube and facebook, he has how to videos like Fred H. does. He also lives your state.
I was going to take my 2018 in for its first oil change, but I opted to do it myself. Doing it for the first time is always difficult because you don't have a flow or routine down. I eventually got a flow down after making a mess in garage but got it done all while talking to some Mormons preaching their religion.

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
Cruiseman is an amateur. I give him no credibility whatsoever. He is not a mechanic nor is his crony Rocky the Squirrel. Purchase the videos from Fred. He knows his stuff and really cares

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Cruiseman is an amateur. I give him no credibility whatsoever. He is not a mechanic nor is his crony Rocky the Squirrel. Purchase the videos from Fred. He knows his stuff and really cares
Ouch! That statement was like a surprise kick in the nuts.........:crying: WHY??

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I bought my DCT at Stubbs Cycle in Houston. I do my own maintenance work courtesy of Fred Harmon videos. One of the badges of honor of owning a motorcycle is doing your own oil changes.

Reactions: Irhawk

·
Registered
271 Posts
El Campo Cycle Center

I live in Corpus Christi, and have used El Campo Cycle Center several as has one of my fellow riders. They have always exceeded my expectation. I do my own basic maintenance, and use them for any recalls or in depth repairs or up dates. Hope this helps.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Ouch! That statement was like a surprise kick in the nuts.........:crying: WHY??

Ronnie
It sounds like he's looking for a professionally trained, skilled mechanic. If he can find one of those, and one that does not shy away from GoldWings in his area, nothing beats the care that real professional can give.

Reactions: Irhawk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I’m surprised by how many do their own maintenance. I’ve always been too busy to attempt it but now that I’ve recently retired with more time on my hands, I may consider dipping my toe in the DIY waters. How hard is it for a mechanical novice to understand and replicate the DIY videos?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I’m surprised by how many do their own maintenance. I’ve always been too busy to attempt it but now that I’ve recently retired with more time on my hands, I may consider dipping my toe in the DIY waters. How hard is it for a mechanical novice to understand and replicate the DIY videos?
Mancuso powersports in Houston has a great service dept. i wouldnt buy another bike from them but id take it in for service. i know the service manager and how serious he takes his job.

as far as DIY. I stopped wrenching on my stuff years ago. I would rather pay to get it done, but I bought fred's videos and have performed my own oil changes on this bike. im in Indiana and the local Honda dealer left a bad taste in my mouth.

Cruiseman's videos are top notch productions. easy to follow, well planned out and great attention to detail. he's very thorough and meticulous. just see how clean his bike is in the videos for proof. lets face it, the things he covers are well within the realms of his capabilities and things most of us will be attempting to do.. youre not going to learn how to grind valves, hone cylinders and replace liners but for routine maintenance they work great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts