GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had 28,000mi service on my 2006 gl1800, I'm not riding as much anymore 8k / yr. I had a service plan with the dealer (i got a good deal when i bought the bike $900 for 3 yrs) it's up in march.
Where can I find the service schedule for the wing, I think the minor service every 4k miles is mainly an oil change and if i go to synthetic i can skip those ?
It's hard to believe that my Triumph rocket (poorly manufactured) has a 10k service interval and this awesome wing has a 4k interval

·
Registered
16,511 Posts
Ask your MOM; its right in the Motorcycle Owner's Manual. The Honda schedule is set-up in 4,000 mile intervals, bt oil is every 8,000 and othere services are well divided. I really think the 4k bit is proposed as way to get you in the dealerships more often and have you not be blown away by such a bg excessive bill every 8,000; now they can blow you away every 4,000. If you do your own services, you can arrange for the inetvals to be more worker friendly -- so tht the shelter and air box do not have to be removed every 4,000 -- that is just nuts!

prs

·
Registered
581 Posts
Most of the 4,000 & 8,000 mile things are simply "checks". I do change the oil more frequently than required, but that's more out obsession, than necessity. For safety sake, I believe that anyone who owns a motorcycle should know the basics, check tire, check and change fluids etc. I have no desire to visit my Honda dealer every 4,000 mile and frankly don't trust them as much as I trust me.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
A minority view here:

I do frequent engine oil changes, change my tires and brake pads as needed, and change the rear drive oil every 24,000 miles.

Virtually everything else comes at a 32,000 mile interval. I take the plastic off and do everything at once during this time.

Sort of an aircraft "phase maintenance" philosophy.

Works for me, and since I ride the Wing about 15,000 miles per year, I can't see any downsides to this approach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts