GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an 06 FJR used through a private sale last July. I've been following threads on ignition switch issues and a recall was finally ordered and issued. I stopped by my local dealer and they told me to send them the VIN and they'd order the parts. Since it's winter, Ive been riding the Wing and never got around to it, but also wondered why I never received the official notice from Yamaha.

Ok, so my phone rings on Monday and the eight year old answers. Says it's some guy from Yamamamamamam mocycle. I get the phone and it is a nice gentleman from Yamaha Corporate stating that my VIN came up with two owners on two separate systems so they are contacting to see just who has the bike so they can notify the correct person about the recall. Incidentally, my name was on the YES extended warranty and the prior owner was listed as the registered owner. He made the appropriate changes and faxed the recall letter to my home.

Today, I get a call from Yamaha of Camp Hill, PA where the bike was purchased new by the prior owner. Stated they contacted the prior owner and he indicated he sold the bike. They then contacted Yamaha for the current owner (me) and called me to advise about the recall. I told him I knew and thanked him for calling and indicated I am two hours away and could not bring the bike to him for the repair. He stated he knew that based on my address and phone number but wanted to make sure I was aware of the recall and could resolve through my local dealer.

Now I realize the dealer made the decision to call me and that is outside Yamaha, but could a favorable feeling towards Yamaha cause the dealer to be proactive in this case? I think so. So many dealers tell me that Honda treats them like crap, but Yamaha and Suzuki treat them well. Seems they'd want to go the extra mile for the customer who will bring a bike for repairs that will not cause a battle to get paid like Honda pulls on almost all warranty repairs.

My loyalty to Honda / Acura dwindles each and every day.

H

·
0 Posts
You should read our Suzuki M109 board to see how badly Suzuki treats customers. If you break anything in the drive they claim that you were doing burnouts and wheelies and won't cover it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, interesting, I have not heard that locally about Suzuki, but you'd know.

With Honda:

Fork seals are a wear item - only after bitching and yelling alot did they cover - twice until I disconnected anti dive and never had another problem

steering head bearing - wear item - never had that occur on any other bike.

Radio - complained about issue since bike was new and nothing done. Then problem found after warranty ran and they said sorry warranty is up even though clearly documented before the warranty ran.

I've seen shifter forks at issue and Honda say you abused the tranny and won't pay.

Brake rotors on my Acura warped - Honda say cut them and won't replace. Then warped again after 36K and tell me to go pound sand.

I know there's more but not wanting to look it up right now.

Thanks Hal,

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good dealers.

I had 3 Yamaha Ventures. 83,86,and 93. Worked through 3 different dealers, and all three and Yamaha were great. My only complaint about Yamaha was that they wouldn't listen to the owners of the Ventures when it came to improving the bikes. They figured they had the best touring bike on the market, I guess, and those improvements that Honda made to the Wing were what finished the original Venture.
They were bullet-proof tho. I still see 83's running around.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Cyclemed i'm sorry to hear you seem to have way to much trouble dealing with Honda
works way different for me, they have always treated me very well, they seem to go out of thier way to make sure any problem i've had with the wing was resolved, NEVER had any trouble getting anything covered under warranty

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cyclemed i'm sorry to hear you seem to have way to much trouble dealing with Honda
works way different for me, they have always treated me very well, they seem to go out of thier way to make sure any problem i've had with the wing was resolved, NEVER had any trouble getting anything covered under warranty
Cycledude, glad to see you have 239K on the Wing. How cool is that?

I expected more from Honda given my ownership of several Honda bikes, several Honda cars and an Acura. I can't even blame the dealer as they went out of their way to try and get things covered and the Honda Reps in Torrance were just plain asses. I still remember speaking to a Heather and an Angelo. I was even transferred to a supervisor who was also a rude ass. I am in the service industry so I can assure you I did not treat them badly or raise my voice. The arrogance just amazes me.

Anyhow, I mainly wanted respond about your mileage...

·
Registered
660 Posts
My bike has been in the dealer's shop for 67 days (and counting). It's all covered under warranty, but I'd like my bike back already.

Honda Customer Service assigned me a case manager, but there's not much she can do. The dealer seems to have messed up the transmission while attempting to repair the bent shift fork issue. The engine and tranny are supposedly being removed from my bike again today. I say supposedly because I just can't believe much of what the dealer tells me anymore. I caught them in a number of untruths during this whole debacle....

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i never had the need to have a dealer call me, thats why i never give a phone number out

if i had an issue, a honda dealer always just fixed it, and no charge

they even came and picked up my bike for the coolant recall thing, and delievered it as well

they gave me a ride home, 60 miles for the frame weld, and then pucked me up when it was time to get the bike, 60 miles, for free

i had a couple adjustments on my 06 at a dealer, no charge, and they washed my filthy bike for free

and when my brake pedal broke off, the dealer gave me a new bike to entertain myself for a couple hours, while they fixed it for free, and again, washed my filthy bike

my service dealer doesnt need an appointment, even on tires, just roll in and get it done

phone calls are easy, i prefer action

·
Registered
306 Posts
Good dealers are hard to find...but they are out there.

My 1200GSA had a few recalls. Nothing major...but some parts needed changing.

They called me...drove about 1.5 hours with an enclosed trailer, picked up bike and dropped it off the same way two days later.

Not too shabby...

I'm pissed the bike has had three recalls being only one year old...but the dealer is a keeper!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
As i have said before, touch wood i have not had anything go wrong with the bike

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good dealers are hard to find...but they are out there.

My 1200GSA had a few recalls. Nothing major...but some parts needed changing.

They called me...drove about 1.5 hours with an enclosed trailer, picked up bike and dropped it off the same way two days later.

Not too shabby...

I'm pissed the bike has had three recalls being only one year old...but the dealer is a keeper!

Cool, a local guy....

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Howard, a dealer that cares and will promote your claim is your best allie in the warranty process.. Honda does warranty many items that other companies won't (look at the guys who think they get headlight bulbs covered by Honda :roll:)

I had a leaking seal and they replaced brake pads (even though they didn't get wet), they were also willing to warranty fork seals too!! All in the dealer being willing to service the customer even if the claims don't pay the normal shop costs.. There's some jobs that just don't pay for a service dept to perform because the hours paid is nowhere near reality, add to that they normally have to use their one guy who knows GLs...

Good dealer = good service, bad dealer = bad feelings towards brand..
I know it's out of your way, but how's about Scotts in Coopersburg?? They've always been great for me and thier GL1800 guy is really good...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
My fork seals blew and I trashed the forks riding it back home. I asked the Honda dealer how much it was going to cost me, he said nothing, we'll put new forks on under warranty.

·
Inquisitive Member
204 Posts
same here. had fork seals replaced, along with handle bar controls for lights going out, flasher switch, vent, all done without paying a penny or argueing over it. simply took it in and fixed. i use eith Sunrise in Searcy, ar., canton motorsports, or motions in ga.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had an 06 Vstrom, 600 miles, in warrenty, leaky fork seal, no fix, suzuki says they won't fix a leaky seal on a new bike never registered.

Nov. 08 I had a recall done on my new to me 04 wing, great service from my local Honda dealer.

Don't mean one is better than other, just differant.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Howard, a dealer that cares and will promote your claim is your best allie in the warranty process.. Honda does warranty many items that other companies won't (look at the guys who think they get headlight bulbs covered by Honda :roll:)

I had a leaking seal and they replaced brake pads (even though they didn't get wet), they were also willing to warranty fork seals too!! All in the dealer being willing to service the customer even if the claims don't pay the normal shop costs.. There's some jobs that just don't pay for a service dept to perform because the hours paid is nowhere near reality, add to that they normally have to use their one guy who knows GLs...

Good dealer = good service, bad dealer = bad feelings towards brand..
I know it's out of your way, but how's about Scotts in Coopersburg?? They've always been great for me and thier GL1800 guy is really good...

Dave:

Not out of the way at all. Scott Powersports is my choice for both the Wing and the FJR. They are awesome and Rich is great. They tried to get Honda to cover some things but were flat out refused. The regional guy even came in and said no, but i still disagree as to the wording on the contract.

In fact since I found Scotts I have not been back to "The Other Place" since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought two bikes from a Honda dealer in northern Wisconsin and they have been great addressing any issues I've had. I think the service you get is related more to the individual dealer than Honda Corporate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had priced a new 1800 at the Honda local dealer in 2007. His price was right in line with all of the lowest priced dealers talked about on this board which shocked me. I bought a used 2005 ABS from someone on this board instead because I didn't want to pay for the NAV to get the ABS. Told the dealer about it and why.

I had a problem with the ignition about six months later. Couldn't turn the key. Tried everything. Hauled it into the same dealer. They tried it and it wouldn't turn either, so into the shop. They called me and said that as soon as I left it was working fine. They had tried it several times and it worked perfectly. (Had my wife take me down to pick up the bike and noticed that I was really low on gas. Service man got a can and put a couple gallons in the bike. Wouldn't take anything money for it.)

BUT. They talked to Honda and got approved to replace all of the keyed parts on the bike anyway just so I wouldn't have to worry about it locking up on me while on the road. I buy a lot of things from Hal and other vendors on this board, but I try to throw this dealer some business as often as I can. I was very pleasantly surprised at how quickly and courteously they took care of me.

·
Love The DCT
11,797 Posts
Bought an 06 FJR used through a private sale last July. I've been following threads on ignition switch issues and a recall was finally ordered and issued. I stopped by my local dealer and they told me to send them the VIN and they'd order the parts. Since it's winter, Ive been riding the Wing and never got around to it, but also wondered why I never received the official notice from Yamaha.

Ok, so my phone rings on Monday and the eight year old answers. Says it's some guy from Yamamamamamam mocycle. I get the phone and it is a nice gentleman from Yamaha Corporate stating that my VIN came up with two owners on two separate systems so they are contacting to see just who has the bike so they can notify the correct person about the recall. Incidentally, my name was on the YES extended warranty and the prior owner was listed as the registered owner. He made the appropriate changes and faxed the recall letter to my home.

Today, I get a call from Yamaha of Camp Hill, PA where the bike was purchased new by the prior owner. Stated they contacted the prior owner and he indicated he sold the bike. They then contacted Yamaha for the current owner (me) and called me to advise about the recall. I told him I knew and thanked him for calling and indicated I am two hours away and could not bring the bike to him for the repair. He stated he knew that based on my address and phone number but wanted to make sure I was aware of the recall and could resolve through my local dealer.

Now I realize the dealer made the decision to call me and that is outside Yamaha, but could a favorable feeling towards Yamaha cause the dealer to be proactive in this case? I think so. So many dealers tell me that Honda treats them like crap, but Yamaha and Suzuki treat them well. Seems they'd want to go the extra mile for the customer who will bring a bike for repairs that will not cause a battle to get paid like Honda pulls on almost all warranty repairs.

My loyalty to Honda / Acura dwindles each and every day.
Things don't always go that well between Moma Yamaha and the dealers either sometimes, ie the ticking issue on Gen I bikes and the ECM replacement come to mind on the FJR.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts