GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I haven't ridden more than a 1000 miles in the last two years. The oil was old not dirty. Everything has been changed including the coolant and rear drive. Someday I'll get all the air out of the cooling system! I even replaced the crush washers after 40K. Well almost, these were for a Honda Civic. I hope they work, as the torque wrench felt funny. I have an appointment at the bike shop for a new front tire install. I sure hope this fixes the rough ride and vibration.

Now to more serious stuff: I read a post a couple of weeks back about Mobil 1 Silver 15-50. I believe Fred H. stated that it was unclear whether this oil was fully synthetic or not. My bottle seems to say fully synthetic. Can someone please comment?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Well, I haven't ridden more than a 1000 miles in the last two years. The oil was old not dirty. Everything has been changed including the coolant and rear drive. Someday I'll get all the air out of the cooling system! I even replaced the crush washers after 40K. Well almost, these were for a Honda Civic. I hope they work, as the torque wrench felt funny. I have an appointment at the bike shop for a new front tire install. I sure hope this fixes the rough ride and vibration.

Now to more serious stuff: I read a post a couple of weeks back about Mobil 1 Silver 15-50. I believe Fred H. stated that it was unclear whether this oil was fully synthetic or not. My bottle seems to say fully synthetic. Can someone please comment?
It probably is NOT fully snthetic given the definition that YOU would apply; but apparently a lawsuit between Mobil and a competitive supplier was won by the competition, the result was tht makers of highly refined petrolium based producds were allowed to state their products are "synthetic" even though they are not syntheitc (PAO) lubes. Mobil simply took advantage of what the competition was allowed to do and started producing the less expensie petro-based quasi synthetics too. Is that right? Is that fair? Will your engine "know" the difference. Probably all answered by "no."

prs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts