GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my bike sit too long and the battery was down but still had enough to start the bike. I put 150 miles on it so it charged up but I noticed my clock and trip odometers reset. I went to set the time and can't get to the set screen. The manual says to hit the mode button twice but pushing it doesn't do anything. Am I doing something wrong or has my button just quit working. The bike is in good shape overall. This and the cruise control buttons are the only things not working properly. The cruise works, the button just sticks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It sounds like your battery is having problems. It takes more energy to run the electronics than to spin the engine over, so that's no indication of the health of the battery.
One of the first indications of a bad battery is problems with the electronics.

I would suggest you take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. If it tests okay, make sure the cable ends are clean and tight upon reinstallation.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would disconnect your now charged battery for a while (10 min or so), to reset your system, then reconnect. The low battery condition may have confused your computer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the DISP or TRIP button work? If not, it sounds like the cable for that group of switches is unplugged.

I'll try unhooking it for a bit and see what happens. The trip and display buttons both work fine. The battery is 3 or 4 years old. I replaced it when I got the bike. It sat for 5 weeks this last time between rides. The only time it comes out is when I take the GF riding.

If nothing else, I can unhook the battery and reconnect it at 1 on Saturday so the clock will be right when we move our clocks back a week from Sunday.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I planned to unhook the battery yesterday and let it sit a bit before reconnecting at 1:00. I decided to try the mode button one more time. It worked this time so my clock is set now. I didn't do anything different, it just worked this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts