GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in the process of rebuilding my forks. New bushings, etc. Stock springs are to be set to 5". I think Progressives are supposed to be set to 5 1/2". I have Traxxion springs. Can't seem to find the level on the Traxxion website. Does anyone know? Do any of you just measure out the correct amount and just pour the fork fluid in or do any of you have any secrets for setting the fork oil levels?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Try this little tool. You set the depth to be whatever you need. I retained my 5" level for Progressive.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have run the Traxx 1.2 and 1.1 springs with stock internals. The fork oil level for each of them is 125 mm. This is to be set without the springs in the tubes and all components of the fork fully collapsed.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
.....do any of you have any secrets for setting the fork oil levels?

Thanks

For future reference, here's how I measure fork oil height....the "calibrated dipstick" (a steel ruler):

The Vice-Grips keep the ruler from falling into the fork tube.

BTDT!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I made the same setup as Waldo... I just use a large syringe on the hose to draw out the excess oil... whne no more oil is drawn, it is at the correct level... Works great and is mess free too... Be sure to bleed the air out of the forks prior to setting the oil level... With the spring removed work the fork full travel several times till it's smooth and even over the entire range, then draw out the excess oil...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Simple method to measure fork Oil with combination square

You must have the fork removed from the bike, Wrap it in a rag and place it in the vertical position in a vice.
Set you combination square to the desired level plus one inch. Now place the square into the fork and rest it on top of the fork tube (use this just like a dip stick when you see one inch of oil on the scale you have the proper amount of oil in the fork.) (be advised this is done with out the spring in and the fork tube collapsed.)
This is as simple as it gets with no special measuring tools othe than a combination square.
My name is Denny and I approve this method:?

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
What ever level you use, make sure you work the forks up and down to bleed any air out for an accure read. Also, for any fork having a dampner, bleed the dampner, to get the air out of that too.

For any fork having aftermarket parts, springs, or other modifications, always read the instructions for proper fork fluid level. Sometimes I go their web page, and sometimes I have to call them.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This isn't answering the question, but I have to add this. One of our local Honda shops rebuilt my forks on my 02 a couple years ago. When I got it back it road like a buckboard!! Soon afterward the forks starting leaking, so I decided this time I would rebuild them myself. I took opportunity to do a little detective work and discovered both forks drastically overfilled!! (And yes, I called a friend and had him confirm my findings) Well, as you can guess, I don't take my business there any more!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Traxxion recommends 125mm oil level for the GL1800.
Now to jump on this thread for some info.
I understand the rough ride and probably blowing a fork seal if the fork is over filled. But if the fluid level is 1/2" or 1" below factory or after market recommendations, would there be a real problem? When servicing the forks myself, it looks like the fluid level, with springs installed is above the seal level. At that level fluid covers the cartridges and all valves.
Is it to give space for air compression for a better ride or at the point when one would bottom out the fork?
Don't plan to shorten my fluid level, but what would happen if I had not gotten all the air out of the cartridge and that fork was then low on fluid?
Bob

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
bobnpaso; YES! Very small changes make large changes in this regard. Similar to makeing spacers for fork springs, even 1/8" is a noticable change.

Waldo's example can be used to set or check the level with the tubes still in the trees, the ruler Digger shows would need to have the forks vertical or "plumb" to read accurately since the ruler is quite wide. With the "Waldo device" just make certain the measuring dip stick is very well centered in the tube, the meniscus or fluid level in the center of the tube does not change when the tube is angled. Also, if you want to be very accurate, wipe any oil clinging to the springs before reinserting as there is more there than you think.

prs

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the info Pigeon Roost,

I do have the Traxxion full monty and the tools from Traxxion similar to what Waldo has shown. Just didn't know how far off one might error and feel a difference.
Thanks
Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts