GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the manual it says to place motorcycle on the center stand to adjust. Is this necessary or is side stand ok? It seems to work that way.

Thanks,
Motodoc42

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
On my '02 I wired the relays directly so I could do it on the fly. Only problem with that is I lost memory 1 & 2 plus I had to stop it manually at one and 24. I won't be doing that on my '06. Requirements are neutral and no speed. Wonder if one can switch off the speed sensor for a bit to accomplish on the fly adjustments.... ???

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Not necessary. You're fine to adjust the preload while the bike is on the side stand or while on the bike sitting stationary (at a trafic light for example).
In the manual it says to place motorcycle on the center stand to adjust. Is this necessary or is side stand ok? It seems to work that way.

Thanks,
Motodoc42

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
On my '02 I wired the relays directly so I could do it on the fly. Only problem with that is I lost memory 1 & 2 plus I had to stop it manually at one and 24. I won't be doing that on my '06. Requirements are neutral and no speed. Wonder if one can switch off the speed sensor for a bit to accomplish on the fly adjustments.... ???
The logic circuit that controls it is inside the meter panel, which also gets the speedo and gear position inputs. It would take quite a bit of work to disable it. I took the meter panel board out of my bike and started the process of trying to reverse engineer the circuitry, but eventually gave up on it, because I feared that it may be controlled by firmware loaded into the on board processor chip, and decompiling the firmware and reloading it is not something I think I could (or would want to) do.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
What is the purpose of the preload? :shrug:

David

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The preload lets you change the amount of compression applied to the rear spring independent of your payload or ride applied "G"s so that you can preserve available suspension travel. Lets you adjust the sag.

prs

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The preload lets you change the amount of compression applied to the rear spring independent of your payload or ride applied "G"s so that you can preserve available suspension travel. Lets you adjust the sag.

prs
Actually, when you adjust the preload, the rear of the bike is staying in the same spot, but you are moving the planet earth further away or closer to you. Be careful you don't go too far with the adjuster, because it can throw the moon out of orbit if you do. Honda gets lots of calls from angry government officials when that happens.

This is also why they won't let you adjust it when you are moving, because that can throw the entire solar system out of alignment. :a13:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
This is also why they won't let you adjust it when you are moving, because that can throw the entire solar system out of alignment. :a13:
Whoot! And we all know that the infamous wobble is caused by the phase of the moon in combination with the latest round of solar flare activity in conjunction with the precise location of the lunar rover. Oh, wait! I forgot. We never actually went to the moon... ;)

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Quite a spell back in time, Fred revealed a method of overfilling the pre-load adjuster. That way you get to where you are going before you leave. This relies upon Einstein's first law if Traxxionization (TE for short). I wonder when Honda will introduce a post load adjuster so we can get back as easily.

prs

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Quite a spell back in time, Fred revealed a method of overfilling the pre-load adjuster. That way you get to where you are going before you leave. This relies upon Einstein's first law if Traxxionization (TE for short). I wonder when Honda will introduce a post load adjuster so we can get back as easily.

prs
[SUB]t[/SUB]E = motorcycle[SUP]2 ???[/SUP]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts