GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When setting the SWR, is it done by transmitting alone, or do you have to also be receiving a signal to make the adjustment correctly.

Also, how far away from a building, fence or trees to you need to be to avoid any interference?

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Basically all your doing is KEYING the mike.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
SWR has nothing to do w/RX, it "tunes"/matches the antenna to the radio/setup each radio is in for TX.
Every antenna needs the SWR tuned-there is no such thing as a pretuned antenna(although some are very close!)
Beside being away from buildings, trees and other obstacles, you should knell down when reading the meter as your body is also an interference to the antenna and will be when you are seated on the bike as well as any passenger, which is why you need to be out of the way when tuning.
That way you will achieve the lowest SWR you can get to lessen the effect you/passenger have when seated on the bike.
Distance from obstacles-I usually set the bike in the middle of my 100' long drive:shrug:

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
So how do you shorten or lengthen the antenna on the wing? :shrug:
Half way up the antenna is the loading coil at the top of it there are locking set screws remove those and the top of the antenna comes free.

Try sliding it in and out before cutting as the antenna may need more length, if you do cut its 1/8" at a time if that off the bottom of that top section.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Been doing this since the early 60's(cars and trucks) Have never had to lengthen one!
I tune mine for the lowest SWR I can get on the channel I use the most.
Some like to tune 19 or 20.
Just remember to knell down beside the bike when you are checking the meter reading.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Been doing this since the early 60's(cars and trucks) Have never had to lengthen one!
I tune mine for the lowest SWR I can get on the channel I use the most.
Some like to tune 19 or 20.
Just remember to knell down beside the bike when you are checking the meter reading.
You never know if someone has already cut it if it was on the bike already

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
You never know if someone has already cut it if it was on the bike already
That would probably mean the SWR has already been set with no further tuning needed!
However, you are correct as someone could be matching a used antenna to a new or different used radio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts