GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a small assortment of electronics along on this tour. Of course, they require some reliable means of recharging the batteries on a daily basis. For hotel stays, I can just plug into a power strip, but if I find myself camping for several days in a row, what are my options for keeping the batteries alive?

I will have my phone, of course. A digital camera, a laptop, an iPad, four drone batteries, and some other things that need more power, Scotty!

I would like to create something that allows me to charge the batteries in my trailer while riding, so they are all alive and topped off when needed.

Suggestions?

Joe

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
I put outlet in trunk wired to the battery with inline fuse . dual cig lighter can run usb port off it charge phone - run air compressor - I use a converter ( 12 v - 110 ) and run my air pump for air mattress off it also . can pretty much charge use anything thru it . I put led strip lites around inside (under) top edge of trunk box with switch so I can see at nite hope this helps a converter is about $15/20 and plugs into cig lighter

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you just run a 12vdc lighter plug to the trunk, and plug a 12vdc/110ac inverter into that?

Hmmm... I will look into this. I wanted to put all of the batteries and chargers into the trailer. Maybe I can run a 12vdc hot wire from the battery to the trailer through a 10A fuse, and then do the conversion in there. I picture a sheet of Cordura, with sewn pockets for each battery, and the various charger pucks already wired in. This will take some time to figure out an efficient way to insure charging while not allowing the batteries to bang around inside, or have a rat's nest of cords and cables to deal with.

I wonder ... a single panel with all of the chargers hot glued to it ... able to receive the batteries securely and leave air space around them for cooling ... maybe a tall thin box ...

Joe

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You're basically trying to create the Typical Setup found in virtually all Camping Trailers... in which the tow vehicle charges the trailer's battery when in-tow; that battery is later used for local power delivery within the trailer.

As such, then all you need is a tow connection that has an extra pin for Power (from Motorcycle to Trailer, in your case)... A-N-D also:

-Catch#1: Ensure that, when parked, you are not drawing from the motorcycle battery.

My truck's typical "Tow Package" has a relay, that only provides power to the trailer (with 2 batteries in it) when the engine is running... to ensure that there's always enough power to start the truck.
You could simply detach your trailer when starting or stopping the bike's engine.

-Catch#2: Can't have a situation where the battery in the trailer has more charge than the one in your bike during starting... else the starter motor will try and draw from the Trailer Battery (and cook any lines between it and the bike)! It's ok for there to be a mis-match After Starting, just not during engagement of the starter... as it will draw from the battery with the higher charge.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...Going further with the "Camper Trailer" analogy:

You do not want to use a Converter (eg 12V > 110v)... it's very inefficient and will run down even a car battery in about an hour.
Best to instead Stay within a 12V system... So for example, if you're going to charge your phone, then go 12v > 5v USB (Charger for your phone), rather than 12v > 110v > 5v-USB (phone charger)

Example: 12v Battery connected to a 12v Cig Outlet, with a 5v-USB Adaptor that your phone plugs in to.
Or
Or

Also, since you'll be using a Small battery, be sure to avoid (or otherwise disable) and LED Indicator Lights... as commonly found on USB Adaptors; they will constantly drain your battery.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that the batteries for the drone and the cameras are not able to be charged from a 12vdc source. I will have to play around with some options.

Joe

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Because the Lithium Polymer battery chargers have some additional 'smarts' in them to keep the battery charge at an optimum rate for their capacity.

Many suggest fireproof containers to put them in while they are charging - same reason they're not allowed in aircraft cabins. When they blow, things go badly.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will swing by Sam's club. I'm sure they will offer some sort of "portable generator" like that. Also, Gander Mountain, Cabela's and maybe ... Harbor Freight Tools ???

Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Because the Lithium Polymer battery chargers have some additional 'smarts' in them to keep the battery charge at an optimum rate for their capacity.

Many suggest fireproof containers to put them in while they are charging - same reason they're not allowed in aircraft cabins. When they blow, things go badly.
Most airlines will allow lithium batteries to be carried in the cabin with you, but not in your checked luggage.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to wonder... Grandfather Clocks work by raising very heavy weights on a chain, and they pull down and cause the clock mechanism to work.

Could a small generator be made, that you could hang from a tree limb, that would be connected to a gearbox sufficient to rotate the generator at a speed required to create a current, but which could be run for say ... two hours by hanging a heavy weight on a chain that rotates the high gear end of the box in the same way? You would hang the generator, and loop a length of chain over a sprocket. Then connect the weights, and let gravity provide two hours of power by s-l-o-w-l-y lowering the weight which is converted into rpms at the other end for a light duty generator. Even one hour of charging power would be good. you could reset the weight four or five times during a camping evening, and get the power you need without the fuel or the noise.

It might be fun to experiment with something to see what could be accomplished...

Joe

·
Registered
132 Posts
When touring this summer, I plan to bring a portable battery that can charge devices via two USB ports, plus it can jump start the bike if necessary. You can re-charge this battery via a “Battery Tender” USB port while driving. I believe this was about $80 at Costco. It comes with a carry case, but you can ditch the case to save space.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I was going to say the same thing about the portable jump pack - mine is the "GOOLOO" brand. It probably means "Stupid American" in Chinese, but I'm going to carry it anyway.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have to wonder... Grandfather Clocks work by raising very heavy weights on a chain, and they pull down and cause the clock mechanism to work.

Could a small generator be made, that you could hang from a tree limb, that would be connected to a gearbox sufficient to rotate the generator at a speed required to create a current, but which could be run for say ... two hours by hanging a heavy weight on a chain that rotates the high gear end of the box in the same way? You would hang the generator, and loop a length of chain over a sprocket. Then connect the weights, and let gravity provide two hours of power by s-l-o-w-l-y lowering the weight which is converted into rpms at the other end for a light duty generator. Even one hour of charging power would be good. you could reset the weight four or five times during a camping evening, and get the power you need without the fuel or the noise.

It might be fun to experiment with something to see what could be accomplished...

Joe

“You keep thinkin Butch,....that’s what yur good at”!

.......Sundance

Gravedigger, I love to read your threads....but I have to put on my thinkin hat first!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
I will swing by Sam's club. I'm sure they will offer some sort of "portable generator" like that. Also, Gander Mountain, Cabela's and maybe ... Harbor Freight Tools ???

Joe

The name of that product is kind of deceptive. It is an AC converter with a LiO battery.
It comes with a wall brick to charge but the charging input is 12v dc so it can be charged off the bikes electrical.
It also has a mode that works like a UPS so that you can charge the pack while using the AC outlets.
In AC mode without any external power it will run my laptop for over 6 hours before the laptops battery takes over.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I use one of these to keep my laptop charged up. I do know if it is strong enough to do your batteries for your drone or not?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BESTEK-7...ower-Inverter-with-3-1A-2-USB-Ports/156250680
An Inverter like that is only ~50% efficient.

Hence you'd do better to use an Adaptor (12v > 18v), to simply run the computer (without charging the computer's battery.

Example (93% Efficency): https://www.amazon.com/KNACRO-Weath...R+12V+TO+18V&qid=1555730301&s=gateway&sr=8-4\

1 - 20 of 24 Posts