GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone

I was watching on Youtube how all the major motorcycle campers set up. Some, like the Leisure Lite, seem to just roll the top over and the tent is basically set up other than setting up a couple of poles. While other campers you have to actually set the tent part up after getting the poles and beds set up first.

My question is how do you set up in the rain to keep from getting all the inside wet other than to work really really fast. I'm really impressed with the way the Leisure Lite sets up.

Not wanting a debate on which camper is best...just curious how you folks set up without getting inside wet.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Actually, I have not had to do this yet, and had not really considered it. I suppose I would just try to wait for the rain to slack up at some point and set up. If I had no choice, and the rain didn't let up, I would just go ahead and set it up as normal and try to dry everything off with a towel.

If it is raining really hard, I might just forgo the camping that night, find a hotel and come back the next day.

Good question. I'm curious what other responses are going to be.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
rain

I suppose that what I do with my tent, could work for a camper too. I put up a tarp, and then set my tent up under the tarp. It works better if the winds are light.

Richard

·
Registered
657 Posts
My bounkhouse just flips open and you can still get to all your stuff from inside. When you put it away you tent wet part is not in with your other stuff. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I suppose that what I do with my tent, could work for a camper too. I put up a tarp, and then set my tent up under the tarp. It works better if the winds are light.

Richard
I have always brought a tarp with me tent camping for this reason and a few more. I plan on keeping tarp with me for pop up camper also. I have thought about draping tarp over camper if raining and tying down 4 sides with bungie cords till all set up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Roll a Home sets up the same way as the LL. That is one of the main reasons I purchased a Roll a Home. Rain? What me worry?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Aspen Classic can also be set up in the rain. Just pull the cover, lay out the ground cloth, quickly flip it open and use rain gear while staking the corners. Everything else can be accessed from inside where it will stay nice and dry.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My bounkhouse just flips open and you can still get to all your stuff from inside. When you put it away you tent wet part is not in with your other stuff. Works for me.
I also have a Bunkhouse trailer. In the rain, I just open it up. Takes all of 2 minutes or less. Zip the windows closed. Leave connected to the trike so I don't put the jacks down. All storage is accessible from inside. Everything stays dry. If needed finish setting up after the rain stops.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I'm a Kwik Kamp believer!! It took me longer to unhook my KK from the Wing than it did to set it up and be ready for the night. Super quick, easy, and able to keep everything dry during set up, sleeping, and take down.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate and it takes all of a minute and a half to get it set up. Nice thing is that when you open it up, the roof and sides that will be in the rain, are what is exposed. All gear is stowed inside, nice and dry.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Another :thumbup: for setting up the Bunkhouse!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm a Kwik Kamp believer!! It took me longer to unhook my KK from the Wing than it did to set it up and be ready for the night. Super quick, easy, and able to keep everything dry during set up, sleeping, and take down.
Yep, I've not setup my KK during a storm, but I can't see how it would be much of an issue with the way it's designed...I think the issue lies with campers where you have to unload your stuff before you can setup the tent...definitely a concern I'm sure, just as repacking a wet tent with your stuff...not a prob for the KK, bunkhouse, rollahome, etc...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don't worry about it, you can wait for the rain to stop or just get wet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
rain

I either wait till the rain slacks up or I put my rain suit on. In the 4 years I've pulled my camper I've only set up once in the rain and folded it up once in the rain. Its not a major factor in camper selection. There are more things to consider like having all my gear inside and dry, bed size and comfort, storage capacity and accessibility, room/screen additions. I rarely stay more than 3 nights in the same campground when traveling. Most stays are 1 or 2 nights then on to the next campground 400+ miles away. I travel alone mostly in the Rockies Mountains and I stopped being in a hurry a long time ago.

Every camper has its advantages and disadvantages depending on how you'll use it and what your priorities are.

Happy trails,
LDM

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I have a Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate and it takes all of a minute and a half to get it set up. Nice thing is that when you open it up, the roof and sides that will be in the rain, are what is exposed. All gear is stowed inside, nice and dry.

:agree: Yep I have the Mini-Mate also and love the ease of setup and breakdown. Just got back a couple of weeks ago from a 7K PNW tour and the Mini-Mate was great.

Fred

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an Aspen Classic and it sets up so fast rain is not a problem. Everything is inside and dry. When you pack up, the tent is on top and not with any of your gear.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I really like the LeisureLite for the quick setup. But others say it is really wide. I had a timeout camper that I bought to take out west in '93. Did 8k in 20 days with some rain. I really liked the camper but the setup did take 5-10 minutes once you mastered it. Rain is not a problem upon setup but taking down and packing really needs to be done at the utmost speed. Sold the timeout last year but can't convince the wife to go for another camper. She says she would rather stay in a hotel. Retiring next year so I don't know where the hotel money is going to come from. If I were you I would drive to the dealer and actually set it up and take it down yourself before buying. The Roll-a-home gets good reviews but looks like it would take more time to setup when you watch the video. Let me know if you buy the Lite and how it works out.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I really like the LeisureLite for the quick setup. But others say it is really wide.
It is 54" wide (bed size) so add another few inches for overall width.

I have the LL Excel and love it. Takes all of 10-15 seconds to open up and you're inside, dry, and can flake out. Most, if not all gear is stored inside. What isn't can be stored in the forward storage compartment, in the underside storage compartment, or in the bike itself.

BTW, shop around for a good used one. I got mine (a 2007 in immaculate shape) for $3,000 this past summer. That included the 7' screened awning, the 5' enclosed "add-a-room", wide tires, and the extra storage compartments.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
It is 54" wide (bed size) so add another few inches for overall width.

I have the LL Excel and love it. Takes all of 10-15 seconds to open up and you're inside, dry, and can flake out. Most, if not all gear is stored inside. What isn't can be stored in the forward storage compartment, in the underside storage compartment, or in the bike itself.

BTW, shop around for a good used one. I got mine (a 2007 in immaculate shape) for $3,000 this past summer. That included the 7' screened awning, the 5' enclosed "add-a-room", wide tires, and the extra storage compartments.
Yes I have been watching for used. My '93 time-out I bought new in '93 and sold last year was in basically perfect condition, even the canvas.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts