GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just picked up my Goldwing Tour 2018 clutch model a few days ago (really enjoying it).

If I change gear too early in the rev range and/or let the clutch out too quickly the bike jerks big time and it feels like the engine is going to fall out.

I have only been riding Harley Davidson bikes for the part 15 years and while we can all do sloppy gear changes now and then, it just never seems to be as bad as a sloppy gear change on the Goldwing.

Is this normal or could there be something wrong with the bike? It is a demo model I bought with 5,000 km on so I am hoping it wasn't mistreated :frown2:

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The clutch on the manual transmission bikes has a different feel to it, it takes a while to get used to it. It seems like it's engagement point is further out in the release action. I didn't care for it when I rode it, but I think you'd probably adjust to it over time.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The engine will not fall out and with saddle time your shifting technique will probably improve. Big twins with heavy flywheels have a lot of inertia and the rpms do not drop as quickly as the Goldwing's does. Trying preloading the shift lever and it will quickly shift almost as soon as you roll off the throttle and begin to squeeze the clutch lever. If you take your time about it the revs drop too much and the bike jerks when the clutch is let back out.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,374 Posts
The engine will not fall out and with saddle time your shifting technique will probably improve. Big twins with heavy flywheels have a lot of inertia and the rpms do not drop as quickly as the Goldwing's does. Trying preloading the shift lever and it will quickly shift almost as soon as you roll off the throttle and begin to squeeze the clutch lever. If you take your time about it the revs drop too much and the bike jerks when the clutch is let back out.
I found this to be true of the first 17 years of the 1800 as well, let the rpms drop too much and it clunks big time! Speed shift it and it’s smoothhhhhhhhh........

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
Ride like the Manuel says and maybe over time you will “learn” to the the most out of the motorcycle you just paid 25,000 plus ..... it really is a learning curve..... going to a 5speed type transmission is 2 different animals.... you have to learn how the DCT works and use it as it’s intended propose.... I love the DCT because I UNDERSTAND it....

Do yourself a favor “ learn” how to ride yer new motorcycle and in a month post back your experience

Respectfully

Mattbcnv

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to owning a Honda, my 2012 is finicky from first to second...sometimes it’s going to clunk sometimes not depending on RPMs and how fast or slow I am on the shift. 3 thru 6th is smooth as butter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Give it some time you'll get the hang of it. I had a CTX1300 and it took about a 1,000 miles for me to get it right. And then if you still find that sometimes you get perfect shifts and other times you don't it's probably the nut connecting the seat to the handlebars :lol: And that could be an expensive fix :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Welcome to owning a Honda, my 2012 is finicky from first to second...sometimes it’s going to clunk sometimes not depending on RPMs and how fast or slow I am on the shift. 3 thru 6th is smooth as butter.
Your 2012 has 6 speeds?
Lucky guy. :joke:

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
One of the biggest complaints/suggestions was the bike should have had a "quick shifter" to go with the slipper clutch. It seems a bit silly to have one without the other. A quick shifter would have made upshifts as buttery smooth as downshifts. I'm with you sometimes I seem to be able to make the shifts silky smooth one min then like teaching a teenager to drive a stick the next.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips everyone. I find Harleys to be a little more forgiving in the low rev range when it comes to shifting a little "early".

So I experimented a little and now I found if I rev quite quickly to 3k or 4k rpm's the shift is quite smooth. It seems like I have to trash it a little before I can change gear.

Someone did suggest I use the wheel adjuster to get the clutch kick in a bit sooner so I will try that.

I find it weird that I have to build revs quickly just to get a smooth gear change.

Will keep trying, perhaps a clutch adjustment will help or I just have to get used to revving it up before changing gear.

On a related note I find the exhaust/engine in 5th gear to be exceptionally loud when cruising. Even in 6th gear if I go over 2k revs, it gets annoyingly loud. Time to buy ear plugs because the noise the bike makes is a horrible drilling noise rather than a smooth rumble. Perhaps some after market pipes?

But I still love this bike and will post back as I figure out how best to ride it.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Thanks for the tips everyone. I find Harleys to be a little more forgiving in the low rev range when it comes to shifting a little "early".

So I experimented a little and now I found if I rev quite quickly to 3k or 4k rpm's the shift is quite smooth. It seems like I have to trash it a little before I can change gear.

Someone did suggest I use the wheel adjuster to get the clutch kick in a bit sooner so I will try that.

I find it weird that I have to build revs quickly just to get a smooth gear change.

Will keep trying, perhaps a clutch adjustment will help or I just have to get used to revving it up before changing gear.

On a related note I find the exhaust/engine in 5th gear to be exceptionally loud when cruising. Even in 6th gear if I go over 2k revs, it gets annoyingly loud. Time to buy ear plugs because the noise the bike makes is a horrible drilling noise rather than a smooth rumble. Perhaps some after market pipes?

But I still love this bike and will post back as I figure out how best to ride it.
What? :shock: A Harley rider, claiming that the Goldwing is loud, Hmmmmmm now that's different 0:)
LOL

Ronnie

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,575 Posts

The 6-speed is different than how the old wing felt...but once you get used to the new bike your wonder how you ever had problems adjusting to it in the beginning. I think the 6-speed is the best Honda transmission that I have ever owned. Its a huge upgrade over the old model.

Your not alone thinking that the exhaust is too loud either...I hate that the 2018 has a exhaust drone at cruising speeds and wish the exhaust note was like the old model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 6-speed is different than how the old wing felt...but once you get used to the new bike your wonder how you ever had problems adjusting to it in the beginning. I think the 6-speed is the best Honda transmission that I have ever owned. Its a huge upgrade over the old model.

Your not alone thinking that the exhaust is too loud either...I hate that the 2018 has a exhaust drone at cruising speeds and wish the exhaust note was like the old model.
Thanks for this tip. Yep the drone noise is a good way of putting it. It manages to find a frequency that drills a hole through your head. I just ordered some ear plugs which I understand will still allow me to hear voice and music but will reduce drone noise by about 30 decibels. Hopefully that will do it. Just do not know whether Honda did this by design or oversight? :frown2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have only been riding Harley Davidson bikes for the part 15 years and while we can all do sloppy gear changes now and then, it just never seems to be as bad as a sloppy gear change on the Goldwing.
I haven't experienced a severe gear change on the 2018 Wing. I road a Valkyrie for 18 years and I find the 2018 Wing clutch/transmission to be an improvement. I do agree that the friction zone is at the near end of the clutch lever release. It took a bit of getting used to, but I've adapted and it's not an issue now.

I've ridden my brother's Fat Boy, and 2016 Ultra Classic. IMHO, there no comparison to the 2018+ Wing's clutch pull and transmission engagement. The Wing is better. As you get more time in the saddle, you may come to the same conclusion.

8)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for this tip. Yep the drone noise is a good way of putting it. It manages to find a frequency that drills a hole through your head. I just ordered some ear plugs which I understand will still allow me to hear voice and music but will reduce drone noise by about 30 decibels. Hopefully that will do it. Just do not know whether Honda did this by design or oversight? :frown2:
I'm coming from a 2014 Goldwing and I really don't notice the noice... but I run my headset thru earplug/buds... so ..

as for the shifting the only complaint I have is the friction zone is way out at the end...

Not sure if you need to rev it up to keep it smooth or just not let go of the gas all the way... food for thought..

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Use the friction zone on every shift. The only hard part is that the friction zone is a little farther out on the handle than any other bike I have ridden. The clutch dial on "1" (furthest out) on my 2010 was still in more than on "5" on my 2018. But, I never had jerky releases due to more of a finger stretch to get in the friction zone. I never "pre-load" the tranny, which really is not good for it and I adjust the height of the shift lever however I can to fit where my foot is (almost impossible task on the 2001-2017). Using the friction zone on every shift, eventually shifting can be done so smooth, you will be able to shift in the middle of a peg scrapper. I have had many passengers that have told me that they cannot tell when I shift except the sound of the engine is the only clue. I do love the tranny on the 2018, it is the best Honda tranny I have had the pleasure of using.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Use the friction zone on every shift. The only hard part is that the friction zone is a little farther out on the handle than any other bike I have ridden. The clutch dial on "1" (furthest out) on my 2010 was still in more than on "5" on my 2018. But, I never had jerky releases due to more of a finger stretch to get in the friction zone. I never "pre-load" the tranny, which really is not good for it and I adjust the height of the shift lever however I can to fit where my foot is (almost impossible task on the 2001-2017). Using the friction zone on every shift, eventually shifting can be done so smooth, you will be able to shift in the middle of a peg scrapper. I have had many passengers that have told me that they cannot tell when I shift except the sound of the engine is the only clue. I do love the tranny on the 2018, it is the best Honda tranny I have had the pleasure of using.
Thanks for these tips. So when you use the "friction zone" to you mean "ride the clutch"?

Oh the height of the shift lever, I can barely get my foot under it! I fear the previous owner may have lowered it so he can pre-load, hope I am wrong. I think if you want to drag race get a sports bike and do not mistreat the goldwing. For drag racing I think the DCT is the superior option because it changes gear faster than you can, but for the twisties I think the MC6 (manual clutch) would be nicer...

·
Registered
482 Posts
So I was out this weekend on the bike and thought about this thread... and took note of how I shifted the bike... I don't let all the way of the gas when shifting... no need just release a little to let the revs fall 1 - 2 k while you are clutching and shifting and then back on the gas...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts