GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow the bozos that took my GPS off my old bike put a deep gash in my Gilsson external antenna wire . I assume it can't be fixed by soldering it back together, as it has a copper wire through the hard plastic core, then wrapped with braided silver wire. What can I do to fix this short of sending it back to Glisson?

My GPS ain't worth a damn without the antenna!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Replace the antenna - most external antennas run about $50 or less and it's not worth the hassle to try to repair it.

What GPS do you have and where is it mounted that you have to have an external antenna to make it usable on the bike?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jon said:
Replace the antenna - most external antennas run about $50 or less and it's not worth the hassle to try to repair it.

What GPS do you have and where is it mounted that you have to have an external antenna to make it usable on the bike?

I have an Iway500C- It is horrible without the antenna- The good folks at Gilsson sold me a new one for 23.95 since it was only 5 months old (Regularly 69.95). I haven't used it on my Goldwing yet, as I am waiting for the mounting kit to come, but on My old VFR, it was "searching for signal" more than it was working. As soon as I got the antenna, all my trouble went away and it hasn't lost signal since.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Jon is correct...and Gilssen will not repair antennas...I have one with the small connector broken the plugs into the GPS (2720). Gilssen did say they would sell me the connector, but I have no way to put it on...

Hey Jon, can you do this repair for me????replace the small brass connector????

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No, I can't - the MCX connectors require a special crimping tool that I don't have and have no need to buy...

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Anyone else???????????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts