GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a trunk for my F6B and found this mount from Shad at only $70 does anybody has it? they also offered me the Expandable case it goes from 46L to 58L, any members with this case? it is 100% waterproof?
It looks pretty nice on the bike, it has double pillion for my wife but I wonder how comfortable it is (well, will be included with purchase :thumbup:)

They are giving 10% discount and total for trunk + mount = $460 :smile2: would like to hear from other members before accepting the deal.

thanks!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have a Shad top case and Shad side cases on my GS850 (little bike)

I have found them to be good quality, and very water resistant.

And at a reasonable price - the 3P system for sidecases works really well for remove-ability as does the top case

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't have one, yet. But I have been seriously checking them out. I think the cheapest I found was $355 with a universal mount. It's another $65 for the backrest pads from Amazon.

I'm half tempted to get one, just because it's cool! I sure wish that I could see one in person!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
98valk from what they told me the Universal Mount is included with the case but this does not replace the luggage rack.

FB6 Luggage Rack

Shad Chat
Olivia K.
"All Shad Top Cases come with a Universal Mounting Plate. This universal mounting plate does however not replace the bike specific fitment kit , which is specifically designed and made for each bike. Installing the fitment kit gives the bike a base on which our universal mounting plate can be mounted to, then allowing the case to be removed when needed by one single operation."

Anybody with the SH58 model?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I had a shad top box on my R12RT and I would say it was a good bang for the buck. In my opinion it was a little thinner material than the BMW touring box I also had and a little flimsy but it looked good and was cheap. All in all, based on the cost I would buy one again. Much better than the canvas bags I see on the back of a lot of bikes.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My SH37 Top cases & SH23 Sidecases on my GS850GL from 1983
This MAY(?) give you some insight .

·
Registered
498 Posts
98valk from what they told me the Universal Mount is included with the case but this does not replace the luggage rack.

FB6 Luggage Rack

Shad Chat
Olivia K.
"All Shad Top Cases come with a Universal Mounting Plate. This universal mounting plate does however not replace the bike specific fitment kit , which is specifically designed and made for each bike. Installing the fitment kit gives the bike a base on which our universal mounting plate can be mounted to, then allowing the case to be removed when needed by one single operation."

Anybody with the SH58 model?
So, does the case attach/detach from the universal mounting plate? Or does the universal mounting plate attach/detach from the bike specific kit?

In other words, is the universal mounting plate "permanently" attached to the case?

TIA

·
Registered
498 Posts
So, does the case attach/detach from the universal mounting plate? Or does the universal mounting plate attach/detach from the bike specific kit?

In other words, is the universal mounting plate "permanently" attached to the case?

TIA
I'll answer my own question. After watching a couple of videos, it looks like the plate that comes with the case is the removable part.

Adapting their removable plate to our luggage rack mounts should be pretty easy. No need for their special adapter.

Still would like to see one in person ....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the SH58x off of Amazon. Should be here in a couple of weeks. I'll finally get to see one in person!

It looks like I can just bolt a 12" x 12" (or so) flat base in place of the OEM bent rack. Then attach the universal mount to that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll answer my own question. After watching a couple of videos, it looks like the plate that comes with the case is the removable part.

Adapting their removable plate to our luggage rack mounts should be pretty easy. No need for their special adapter.

Still would like to see one in person ....
Sorry 98walk I been out of town. From what they told me the universal mounting plate stays on the luggage rack, the universal mounts allows the case to be removable.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sorry - I checked out for a couple of days -
The universal plate simple bolts to the existing rack -
If I remember right it has a couple of plates underneath and screws from the top which are covered by a panel to hide them;
and then the top case itself -- which is easily remove- able from the mounting plate - you could carry it inside with you as luggage if you care to.
I like mine as it solves the carrying capacity issue of the little bike (on a longer ride I would take my Goldwing with it's integrated trunk)
But I commute daily in summer on the GS850

·
Registered
498 Posts
Got the Shad trunk. I like it. I really like that it is expandable - very cool.

I am using 3/16" aluminum to mount it, since that is what I had available. I would probably do 1/4" if I did it again.

I haven't decided exactly how I am going to mount it. Right now, I have it mounted behind my OEM backrest. I also have it tilted down in the back, so that the top of the trunk is flat when in its lowest position.

I like this because when I remove the trunk (13 seconds), I still have the backrest for the wifey.

In the full size setting, this trunk is big! In the medium setting, it holds our 2 modular helmets.

Here are some pics. I'm not dead set on this set up, so go ahead and voice your opinion. I'll try to get over it. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got the Shad trunk. I like it. I really like that it is expandable - very cool.

I am using 3/16" aluminum to mount it, since that is what I had available. I would probably do 1/4" if I did it again.

I haven't decided exactly how I am going to mount it. Right now, I have it mounted behind my OEM backrest. I also have it tilted down in the back, so that the top of the trunk is flat when in its lowest position.

I like this because when I remove the trunk (13 seconds), I still have the backrest for the wifey.

In the full size setting, this trunk is big! In the medium setting, it holds our 2 modular helmets.

Here are some pics. I'm not dead set on this set up, so go ahead and voice your opinion. I'll try to get over it. /forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
I haven’t had their top case, but had their panniers (SH36) on my last Honda and the quality was outstanding. Easy to install, sturdy, are waterproof. I’m looking to get the same expandable top case on my 2016 F6B. Nice to have clean look on bike, and then snap the top case on when needed for a road trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts