GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to keninsenm out of lea county and others who turned us on to the lodge! It's still very well keeped even thought the original owners have gone. It's now owned by Citi bank and on the market. People who manage it now were nice to deal with but had one issue. Booked it for sun thru wed night. Wanted to do one more night, so we go wed morning to the office and request the additional night. Lady said it was reserved but had no credit card to hold it. I said we were already there and was ready to pay.. I was given the number to the real estate broker. he said no that it was taken. I said that when we called and made our reservations they had to have a card number to hold it for us! He pretty much said tough toe nail. I'm sure that Buyruidoso.com is playing butt kissing to some one! just wanted to vent some. Go and enjoy the weather, that made it worth while! Thanks Bill and Cathy

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks for the update, Bill & Kathy. That's good to know. I'd like it much better if the owner's were in residence. Good or bad, at least we'd be dealing with the one's who stand to gain or loose if service isn't good.

Maybe somebody will buy it soon ... we sure have good memories of the place ... have stayed there three times, but it's been since summer 2010 since we've been able to go and stay. Glad the time you had reserved was good!

·
Registered
16 Posts
RE: Lodge

hey Keninsnm, saw your post there, I live in Silver City NM, and have yet to try them, but now going to have to make a trip. Also saw your trike brand, been thinking bout one for the future, do ya like it? what dont ya like about it? if ya dont mind.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's a neat place for a couple. Sounds like it's still good, just make sure you get your reservations for all the time you wish to stay.

My RoadSmith is my second trike. We started out with a GL1500 with a CSC kit with the solid rear axle. It had belonged to a neighbor and friend who lived down the road from us for many years, so we knew the machine well. We loved it, after the necessary transition from two wheels to three. We are at the point in age and condition that having the three wheels on the ground resulted in being a lot more relaxed and comfortable as well as less tired at the end of the day. We rode that machine for almost three years and close to 15,000 miles.

We decided to upgrade to a newer machine, and went looking for both a good used GL1800 and the trike kit we wanted. We rode almost all the brands of kits, talked to a lot of folks, and I spent a lot of time reading websites and checking specifications and kit designs. After doing so, I was very impressed with the uncomplicated design of the RoadSmith, and I was also impressed by the fact that The Trike Shop has been building trikes since the days when most of them were Volkswagon conversions. I particularly liked the way the suspension was designed, and I was very pleased with the fact that almost all the components used in the kit are off the shelf available. In particular, the CV joints on the axles, the brake calipers and shoes, the wheel bearings, and the u-joints are all 'name brand' stuff. The u-joints are spicer, the rest I mentioned are Volkswagon automobile parts.

It helped that I discovered an acquaintance not terribly far away from me who is a trike kit installer. He handles Motor Trike, California SideCar, and RoadSmith. I visited with him, and found that as an installer, he was obviously very positively impressed with the RoadSmith Kit. He did not openly discourage the others, but continued to mention the things he found positive about the RoadSmith. I recognize that it looks a little different than some of the other kits, and some are put off by that. For us, function is as important or moreso than form. We really do like the design of the trunk and it's space. We had the extra trunk installed over the differential area instead of the extra fuel tank. We got the independent rear suspension, and with that and the additional wheelbase length of the RS kit, this is the absolute best riding, smoothest, most comfortable kit we've ridden. FWIW, I would personally place the Hannigan in second place.

This machine handles very well, it holds the road well, does not wander about (even though I chose have the 5.5 degree rake kit installed, and which I personally recommend ... it may take a bit of getting used to, but it requires a great deal less effort and strength to operate, which translates into less tired at the end of the day, especially in the twisties!). My wife is also very pleased with the comfort of her ride, and we have both enjoyed the upgrade from the 1500 to the more powerful 1800.

I could talk a long time (wait ... maybe I have!). As you can tell, we are very pleased with the RoadSmith kit. I can honestly say that we have not found anything at all of substance that we are not happy with on this machine. I say that it is critical that you find a good installer who knows what he is doing, and one who stands behind his work. That is very important, whatever kind of kit you choose. We did not get the "floorboards", I don't personally like them for several reasons. I did have the upgrade from OEM front fork springs to Progressives done along with the 5.5 degree rake. We got the small LED lights that mount atop the rear fenders and the rear bumper as well.

I'll quit now, but if you have other questions, please PM me and I'll be happy to talk with you, via PM, email, or by telephone. If you want a picture or two, I can manage that as well. I have had my choice validated several times as I read and hear of difficulties with other kits. Anything mechanical can have problems, but the few I've heard about with the RS kit have to do with small things such as trunk lid hinges, etc. Most folks that I've talked with who chose other kits did so because they liked the way the others looked better than the RS. There are probably complaints about the RS that I'm not aware of, but from here, you'll get nothing less than a very hearty recommendation for the RoadSmith kit. Understand that this ain't my first rodeo with trikes, and we have ridden very many of them and talked with satisfied owners of many brands before we made our choice. So far, I've got zero regrets about anything!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts