GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my rubber band. 1st one, ever. 2008 Soft Tail, 40,000+ miles.

Picked up a rock, and it punched a big hole in the belt, and then the belt separated.

Aftermarket $130 for a new belt + $25 in gaskets/seals. (primary cover must be removed, as well as the swing arm). Of course, the genuine Harley belt is $220 - and I'm thinking if the dealer did the work, it would be around $400.

So, I don't want to hear anyone bitch about having to change their shaft drive oil every 10,000 miles !!!

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts

Picked up a rock, and it punched a big hole in the belt, and then the belt separated.

Aftermarket $130 for a new belt + $25 in gaskets/seals. (primary cover must be removed, as well as the swing arm). Of course, the genuine Harley belt is $220 - and I'm thinking if the dealer did the work, it would be around $400.

So, I don't want to hear anyone bitch about having to change their shaft drive oil every 10,000 miles !!!

I was fortunate (if you can call it that) to have the rock get caught between the swingarm and the sprocket. Made lots of grinding noises. Gouged the machined surface of the sprocket nearly three quarters of the circumference. Only damage was cosmetic. If it had been trapped between the belt and the sprocket like your case, I would have been in the same boat.:doorag:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Belt drive is nice and quiet and you only lose about 3% of the power transition. A driveshaft is more dependable but, can lose upwards of 12% of power to the rear wheel due to the change in directions it makes.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Man your Harley dealer sounds cheap.

The local dealer here in Baton Rouge is charging $130/hour.

An oil change is running people close to $300 out the door! Yikes!

The fact that people are actually paying that is even more shocking…..

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man your Harley dealer sounds cheap.

The local dealer here in Baton Rouge is charging $130/hour.

An oil change is running people close to $300 out the door! Yikes!

The fact that people are actually paying that is even more shocking…..
OK, please - nothing personal.... but anyone that would pay $300 for an oil change gets exactly what they deserve.

Harley Synthetic "SYN3" oil is MSRP $12.95 x 5 quarts = $64.75
Harley Genuine chrome oil filter - $14.95

Total parts = $79.70
Lets be generous and add one hour labor and you get $209.7.

About $35 less if you go with conventional Harley lubricants.

;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
OK, please - nothing personal.... but anyone that would pay $300 for an oil change gets exactly what they deserve.

Total parts = $79.70

;)

I agree.

Plus "shop fees" or "EPA disposal" or some other BS-?$
Maybe charge for loctite on the jockey cover bolts (Shop supplies)-?$
They're gonna get you for a jockey cover O ring-?$
Plus tax and you're getting near $300.

I don't have a Harley but thats what another guy told me he paid.

I have been in their shop and the posted rate is $130/hr.

There's a sucker born every day….

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Belt drive is nice and quiet and you only lose about 3% of the power transition. A driveshaft is more dependable but, can lose upwards of 12% of power to the rear wheel due to the change in directions it makes.
12% is quite an inflated number. Generally, the entire drivetrain in a bike with shaft drive will be in the range of 15-17%. The vast majority of that loss will be with the transmission. But according to your 12% number, the transmission would only account for 3-5% of that. That is not even remotely possible. Not only that, if the final drive used up that much HP, they would get extremely hot, but in reality they barely get warm.

The Goldwing's HP numbers confirm this. Honda's advertised bhp hp is 117, but over it's history, dyno runs of the Wing have averaged about 100HP, which amounts to a total driveline loss of about 17%

If shaft drives cost that much power, mfr's would not use them.

I don't dispute that shaft drive has higher losses, but it is not nearly at the level you are claiming.

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts

Total parts = $79.70

;)

:agree: I could have the lubricants changed in all three holes at the local dealership and the cost would not be close to 300 bucks.:doorag:

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts
I agree.

Plus "shop fees" or "EPA disposal" or some other BS-?$
Maybe charge for loctite on the jockey cover bolts (Shop supplies)-?$
They're gonna get you for a jockey cover O ring-?$
Plus tax and you're getting near $300.

I don't have a Harley but thats what another guy told me he paid.

I have been in their shop and the posted rate is $130/hr.

There's a sucker born every day….
Was the nearly 300 bucks only for an oil/filter change or did they do the tranny and primary too? Bike shop rates are approaching those of auto dealerships. Local dealer's rate is 95 bucks/hr. There isn't a local auto dealer here whose shop rates are under 100 bucks/hr. :doorag:

·
Registered
693 Posts
My understanding was it was for all three oils (late model so same lubricant).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how much loss or gain comes with the belt vs. shaft. We could start an entirely 'nother thread about that.

Really, I was just posting up an experience of mine.

One thing about it, you don't have to lose sleep over which gear oil to use for a belt drive motorcycle.

;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have been lucky on the 4 Harleys I have owned, not to have a belt break. But then I never had them for more than 15,000 miles either.

I now have a Dyna Super Glide Custom, and had the dealer do some work on changing the inner and outer primary, as part of the price of buying the bike, and the labor was over $300.00 which they did not charge me for.

I expect if I had to change the belt on my bike, it would cost at least $500.00.

A shaft drive.....love it.....change the oil every 12,000 miles and forget it.

I am also always wondering how much stress I put on the belt when I gun the engine going down the road.

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts
My understanding was it was for all three oils (late model so same lubricant).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since it was for all three holes, probably charge min of 1 hr at 130 bucks, plus the 9% total tax rate, shop supplies/disposal fees, I could see it being 250 to 260 bucks for all three at Baton Rouge HD. :doorag:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could be worse. The best price on JUST the belt for my VStar1300 is $437.99 and I don't know of any aftermarket suppliers.

I think that the Victory belts are under $200, and probably the easiest to change. Remove the side cover and the axle bolt and spacer. Maybe an exhaust bracket and possibly a rear wheel on some models.
Very good design on the Victory. I'm guessing that the guy that designed such an easy belt change.... probably got fired.

:shock:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since it was for all three holes, probably charge min of 1 hr at 130 bucks, plus the 9% total tax rate, shop supplies/disposal fees, I could see it being 250 to 260 bucks for all three at Baton Rouge HD. :doorag:
..... and I was bitching about an oil change costing me $70 with M1 VTwin 20W50 (all 3 holes) and a Genuine HD chrome filter.

I'm going to shut up and go away now.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts

Total parts = $79.70

;)
How about the wages for those lovelies out front. They usually have at least three around these parts.

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts
..... and I was bitching about an oil change costing me $70 with M1 VTwin 20W50 (all 3 holes) and a Genuine HD chrome filter.

I'm going to shut up and go away now.
We wouldn't be happy unless we could bitch about something. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
12% is quite an inflated number. Generally, the entire drivetrain in a bike with shaft drive will be in the range of 15-17%. The vast majority of that loss will be with the transmission. But according to your 12% number, the transmission would only account for 3-5% of that. That is not even remotely possible. Not only that, if the final drive used up that much HP, they would get extremely hot, but in reality they barely get warm.

The Goldwing's HP numbers confirm this. Honda's advertised bhp hp is 117, but over it's history, dyno runs of the Wing have averaged about 100HP, which amounts to a total driveline loss of about 17%

If shaft drives cost that much power, mfr's would not use them.

I don't dispute that shaft drive has higher losses, but it is not nearly at the level you are claiming.
I remember reading that in a Physics forum. It was engine to rear wheel power loss more loss with a shaft vs. a belt or chain. It only makes sense and those were the numbers.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts