GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I just got back from a 6 day trip from Iowa to Custer Park South Dakota. Pulled this trailer loaded around 200 pounds behind my GL 1800. Pulled great and of course "never knew it was back there"! This was our first trip anywhere of distance with a motorcycle. Total round trip was approx 1640 miles. Last 670 miles were straight home in 12 hours. We are very happy with this trailer and at this point I would recommend it to anyone wanting an inexpensive trailer.
I did modify the lights to LED's, made my own cooler mount, and made a mount for the spare tire. Tounge weight was 34 pounds going, and 40 pounds on the way home.
Used the supplied wheel bearings but removed and packed with marine grade grease. Checked dust cover for heat every stop and never got hot, just slightly warm to the touch.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Now there's a fine looking TagALong, with some good final touches. If I lived closer to Iowa, I'd be dropping by with an open check book and a TagALong and say, "fix mine like yours". Very cool indeed. Do you have any idea your avg mpg on this trip?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now there's a fine looking TagALong, with some good final touches. If I lived closer to Iowa, I'd be dropping by with an open check book and a TagALong and say, "fix mine like yours". Very cool indeed. Do you have any idea your avg mpg on this trip?
I paid attention the most when we where going back home. We had a stiff headwind and the cruise control was set at 83mph in South Dakota, down to 78mph in Iowa. I was getting around 32 to 35 mpg.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice little set up:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Do you have carpeting on the top inside of the trailer?

My Kompact Kamp doesn't and always wears through the fabric of anything that touches it, like bags, Goldwing luggage, suitcases, . . . .

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I paid attention the most when we where going back home. We had a stiff headwind and the cruise control was set at 83mph in South Dakota, down to 78mph in Iowa. I was getting around 32 to 35 mpg.
Execellent, thanks. I struggle to get 35 and change riding two up on three wheels. Again, very cool set up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have carpeting on the top inside of the trailer?

My Kompact Kamp doesn't and always wears through the fabric of anything that touches it, like bags, Goldwing luggage, suitcases, . . . .
No carpet on top. I'll keep an eye out for the problem you mentioned. So far all is good.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here is mine:

I put reflective tape on the back of mine, made the wife happy...I put her name first:

Also added a spare...decided to put it up front as I have a stackable cooler which is just tall enough for ice and canned beverages which I carry inside the trailer:

It is a work in progress..I have towed it around 3K now including about 1.2k on I-10 a couple of weeks ago at 70-80 mph without problems.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Very Nice, I like all the lights...:thumbup:...would you mind sharing with us how you mounted your spare tire and the brand of trailer stand your using...TIA...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very Nice, I like all the lights...:thumbup:...would you mind sharing with us how you mounted your spare tire and the brand of trailer stand your using...TIA...
Atwood 82301 Stabilizer Jack from Amazon.
To mount the spare tire, I used a 2" angle iron at 20" long. You can see in the picture I posted, from the back of the trailer, the four bolts I used to bolt the angle iron to the frame. In the center of the angle iron I drilled the two holes for the square bolt (u bolt style, but square) the width of the tire mounting holes.
I am not very good a describing how I did this. If I did not explain well, PM me and I will draw it out and e-mail you how I did it.
At first I had the spare mounted on the tongue, under the trailer. The weight of the spare and the cooler made it hard to get the tongue weight down to 35 pounds at the bike ball. When I moved it way to the back, It helped alot. But not so much as to have a negative tongue weight at the ball when the trailer is empty.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Atwood 82301 Stabilizer Jack from Amazon.
To mount the spare tire, I used a 2" angle iron at 20" long. You can see in the picture I posted, from the back of the trailer, the four bolts I used to bolt the angle iron to the frame. In the center of the angle iron I drilled the two holes for the square bolt (u bolt style, but square) the width of the tire mounting holes.
I am not very good a describing how I did this. If I did not explain well, PM me and I will draw it out and e-mail you how I did it.
At first I had the spare mounted on the tongue, under the trailer. The weight of the spare and the cooler made it hard to get the tongue weight down to 35 pounds at the bike ball. When I moved it way to the back, It helped alot. But not so much as to have a negative tongue weight at the ball when the trailer is empty.
Thank You Sir, Appreciate the information and your explanation was perfect...:thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts