GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Shark Evoline helmet back from Sierra Electronics and the new J&M 629 sounds great. I like the helmet, and now I'm going to speed the break-in by applying pressure to the inside points around the upper jaw area where it is to tight. This is increased (tightness) after the lower section is lowered and locked into place. If you leave it unlocked (not pushed to the rear of the head) the space for my cheek area is almost tolerable. I'm looking for someone who has this helmet and has been able to speed break it in to relieve the pressure off the upper cheek bone.

What have you guys done to widen the liner/inner helmet material to increase the helmets overall comfort.

I'm thinking by keeping pressure on the interior cheek area will help.

Any thoughts or help
:bow::bow:
Thanks

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have the first version, and have not noticed the cheek pads changing position with chin bar down/back. My wife had the version 2 and same with it, no change in cheek pads. I do believe you can order other pads, but unless they are painful, give it a few wearings, the pads on mine are very comfortable now, and were pretty tight initially. I might even like them a bit tighter now. Don't be so quick to change them artificially.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess what I'm trying to describe is the helmet is relatively flexible with the chin bar in the back potion. When lowered and locked it makes the helmet conform and ridged (tight). As of today I'll take anything to relieve some of the pressure off of the cheek bone. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Winghearted,
Well Sir, my wife and I had the exact same syndrome when we first purchased our Sharks. We called the "chipmunk" syndrome. You know how they look when they get too much in their cheeks. Well, we felt the same. But, we didn't have anything in our cheeks. When we were being fitted to them, in Wingstuff CA, we were told they run "big" so, under advice from them, we both purchased "tighter" ones than we would have liked to.

We were told "they'd break in". Well, while that may be true to some extent, the time frame you endure while trying to get THROUGH that break in period, was become rather PAINFULL, even on shorter use periods. Well, I took things in to my own hands and made a call to Wingstuff and they were trying to be as accommodating as possible but, their hands were tied because of lack of additional/optional "cheek pads". So, I wrote an email to Shark International, stating we've got somewhere in the neighborhood of $1100.00 in two helmets, ( Two Shark Evoline II helmets, and two top of the line J & M Elite III head sets) and it was almost impossible to wear them because of the pressure on the upper cheek area.

It took a while but, they actually got back to me and gave me the name of their new distributor. He, in turn actually got a hold of me too. I explained the situation and he said, he'd be glad to send me two sets of next size larger cheek pads for our helmets. When I found out where their distributorship was, I asked if we could come up and be "fitted" for them, he said of course. So, a few days after that conversation, we rode up to their new shop. They were quite accommodating. His co-partner worked with us for quite a while. We left there with new pads, and a good feeling that a company was willing to do what they could to stand by their product and, have happy customers at the same time.

I'll give you hint on something else I did even before they helped us with new pads. I removed my pads, looked at the assembly/stitching of them and decided to modify mine. I cut the stitching of them, removed all the foam and plastic backing. The foam is layered and, in different sizes and densities inside each pad. If I recall, there's about four layers of foam. I removed three of them and re-installed the plastic backing and only one layer of foam. I then re-stitched it back together.

To date, that modification is still, for me, better than the the alternate cheek pads we were issued for my size head/face and helmet. Our Sharks, at present are around eight months old and we've only got about a couple of hours on them. We both like our 3/4 face helmets better. But, we'll use them when the time comes. Well, I hope this helps you with your inquiry about them. If there's anything else I can answer or help with, please feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can.
Scott

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have had my Shark 2 or about 4 months now. Being it was summer most of the time I also have been using my 3/4 more then the Shark but I do wear the Shark about once a week. I did notice that the helmet became more comfortable about a month ago and if I was to wear it more often I am sure that the break-in would have been faster. Good Luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts