GL1800Riders Forums banner

Shark Grills

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  pjg991 
#1 ·
I got a set of shark grills for Christmas. Did you use the glue that's included to mount them or did you use double stick tape? I figure the glue is forever but the tape could be removed if need be.

#6 ·
Mine had the silicone. Thats what I used.....Just remember to PREP correctly.

#7 ·
I had the Shark Gills on my bike and loved the looks, but I didn't like how they redirected the heat from the radiators. The heated air would hit the outsides of my lower legs with my feet on the pegs and was really annoying in temps above 75 degrees.

I used the high temp silicone that came with the Shark Gills and apply it like the instructions said to and let me tell you that silicone was very, very hard to remove from the paint when I removed the Shark Gills. I spend 8 hours a side last winter trying to remove all of that silicone and I still didn't get it all off from the spots of the fairing that you can't see. I tried everything from heating up the side of the bike with a kerosene torpedo heater, silicone remover which only help a bit, a plastic scraper and finally my fingernails which worked the best to remove that silicone.

I suggest you use double sided tape..... at least at first to make sure you really like the Shark Gills. :)

#9 ·
Roadie said:
I had the Shark Gills on my bike and loved the looks, but I didn't like how they redirected the heat from the radiators. The heated air would hit the outsides of my lower legs with my feet on the pegs and was really annoying in temps above 75 degrees.
I 2nd that...they really redirect the hot air to the point where it's almost uncomfortable.

#10 ·
MN-Rider said:
Roadie said:
I 2nd that...they really redirect the hot air to the point where it's almost uncomfortable.
Thats why my Goldwing sits in the garage until winter. I use my other bikes in the summer. :wink:

#14 ·
brihvac said:
Thats why my Goldwing sits in the garage until winter. I use my other bikes in the summer. :wink:

I left my Shark Gills on my bike until winter because I thought I might be able to feel some heat from them riding in the cold, but I felt no redirected heat from the radiators at temps below 70 degrees or so. It was only in temps around 75 degrees and above that the redirected heat from the radiators was uncomfortable for me. I even felt added heat in hot weather in the cockpit area with my ventless Tulsa windshield that was caused by the Shark Gills....so they had to go :)

G
#15 ·
I also have them. Used the silicone. I have not noticed any heat from them unless I put my hand down to just below the fins themselves, so it may be due to other factors.
But I agree with the idea of tryng them first with tape to make sure you like them.
There is pretty much only one place where they fit exactly, so my advice is to set them on dry first, then move them back and forth until you ind the sweet spot (only about 1/4 inch of play). Mark the edge so when you install them you go directly back to that spot.
I found out too late so I have one perfect and one a bit glitched.
Hope this helps.

Pat

#16 ·
OOOOOOOOOh Yessssss. Use the silicone! I used the tape but on one side it is snug but the other side was not as snug and with the heat glue melts and lost one while riding 70 on the highway. Even the snug one becomes kindda loose when hot.
I know it is kind of scary at first to put permanent silicone but it costed me another set.
I have a left one for sale now, NIB $25...Anybody????

#17 ·
Shark Grolls

I also have the shark grills and have not noticed any difference in the
redirection of the heat.....if anything it looks to me that the way
the grills are made, they would redirect the heat away from you not
closer to you.......just my opinion.

#18 ·
Roadie said:
brihvac said:

I left my Shark Gills on my bike until winter because I thought I might be able to feel some heat from them riding in the cold, but I felt no redirected heat from the radiators at temps below 70 degrees or so. It was only in temps around 75 degrees and above that the redirected heat from the radiators was uncomfortable for me. I even felt added heat in hot weather in the cockpit area with my ventless Tulsa windshield that was caused by the Shark Gills....so they had to go :)
This makes no sense. If it redirects the heat. It redirects the heat. Its not gonna do it in the summer and then decide not to do it in the winter. Come on Frank!

#20 ·
brihvac said:
This makes no sense. If it redirects the heat. It redirects the heat. Its not gonna do it in the summer and then decide not to do it in the winter. Come on Frank!
Well Brian
It makes perfect sense to me. When it's cold outside the redirected heat from the radiators can't over come the cold air so I didn't feel any of the added heat in cold weather...not to mention I wear more clothing when it's cold so I'm even more insulated. When it's hot outside, besides wearing less clothing, it's much easier to feel the redirected heat from the radiators. That's just my experience with the Shark Gills :lol:

Glad you like your Shark Gills...they do look nice.

#21 ·
Roadie said:
brihvac said:
Well Brian
It makes perfect sense to me. When it's cold outside the redirected heat from the radiators can't over come the cold air so I didn't feel any of the added heat in cold weather...not to mention I wear more clothing when it's cold so I'm even more insulated. When it's hot outside, besides wearing less clothing, it's much easier to feel the redirected heat from the radiators. That's just my experience with the Shark Gills :lol:

Glad you like your Shark Gills...they do look nice.
I guess everyone has their own taste. I dont notice any heat coming back on my legs. But like I said, I rarely ride the Wing in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.