GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get a flip face helmet. Anyone here have the Shark Evoline, if so how do you like it?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have two of them. We love them. I prefer to keep my visor and chin bar in the flipped up configuration unless I am out on the super slab where it's noisy. As you know we are pretty well protected sitting behind the Wing's windshield so the visor in normal use is not a big attraction to me. But when it's closed and the chin bar is down and locked the Evo is damn quiet. I find it to be a bit front heavy with the bar down but only for a bit until I get used to it. I do have to shave a bit of the foam where it rides on my forehead because it's a bit snug. But for the most part it's a very nice helmet and solid as a rock. It's really nice to have multiple options at your fingertips. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks utahawk, that is what I like to here!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

R

·
0 Posts
Shark evoline

I've had the Shark Evoline for over a year now. Used it riding to California and then up to Canada. It's a great helmet; I've used in the rain and sun and it's worked great. I do find it a little tight around the forehead and, if I were a doo rag or liner, it gives me a blinding headache. Therefore, I don't wear one and all is well. it was also painfully expensive to ship it off to Edsets for speaker installation but worth the expense for the really nice headset.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have friends that have the Shark, they like the convertible part, I think primarily because they like to ride and smoke and did not feel safe with a regular modular helmet in the up position while riding (this is supposed to be really dangerous due to the open chin guard snagging on something and breaking the neck) on a regular modular helmet. The Shark resolved that issue by folding up into a 3/4 helmet. The older I get though, the more safety conscious I become and I no longer like riding in a 3/4 helmet and I do not ride with my modular helmet open unless the sun is low and the interior sunshade is not dark enough to block the blinding sun. The chin bar is then used to block the sun so the decision is which is more dangerous..not seeing the road or having my modular helmet open. I always choose blocking the setting sun with the modular helmet chin guard. Of course the main reason for a full helmet or a modular helmet is to protect the teeth, chin, and jaws in case of an accident not so much for blocking wind or cold wind coming over the windshield. The Shark would not be useful to me because I would never use the 3/4 feature. My friends used to have regular modular helmets that they also used to block the setting sun with the chin guard before they got the Shark. Now since the Shark will not stay particially open they have actually painted the interior visor on the Shark so that it will be dark enough to block out the setting sun. Now...have I throughly confused you yet???

·
Registered
931 Posts
Shark helmets

Purchased 2 Shark Evoline series 2 FusionST helmets about a month ago. I installed J&M elite headsets from our old Arai Classic helmets myself. My wife and I just got back from a 1000 mile ride down to Eureka Springs and back to Kansas. Here are my impressions of the helmet:
We had to go down a size for proper fit. From a large for me to a Medium and from a Medium for my wife to a small.
Had the same problem as others with the front helmet having to much pressure on my forehead above the eyebrows. I removed the top liner and have been using the bottom of a tablespoon to compress the foam smaller for a looser fit.
The top air vent is noisy at highway speeds and I won't use it as it roars.
I like the tinted inner visor and use it even when I'm wearing sunglasses. The outer clear visor is nice with mutiple detents(clicks) to secure it at different stages up or down. In the full up postion at highway speeds it vibrates and has a clattering sound, so I place it down into one of the lower detents. I do not use the flip down chin bar unless it's raining or one morning when it was chilly outside. The screen keeps most of the wind off me. My wife wears her chin bar down on the highway and up in town or at slower speeds. She likes hers even though it is a little heavier than our Arai's were. Overall I would recommend the new Shark 2 ST Fusion to anyone. Be sure to try one on before buying to find the proper size. I did have to dremel out the insides for the J&M speakers as we did not have the newer slim design speakers that you can now get from J&M. The Shark 2 ST fusion has places inside already made for speakers but the indentations were not deep enough for our speakers. They have snap out cheek pads and the head liner is removeable for hand washing which is nice as my wife's makeup has a tendency to rub off on the cheek pads. The outer clear shield is scratch resisant but be careful as we raise the inner and outer shields when we take the helmets off and when the outer clear sheild is on top of the helmet it will scratch easlier. The replacement outer sheild is over $50.00 to replace. The helmet has a ECE and DOT rating which is excellent. The only drawback I'm seeing is that the helmet needs more air circulation through the top. It was mid to upper 90's riding back from Arkansas to Kansas last week and my head was HOT. I rode with the outer visor up to get air flow to my face and head. One last item is you cannot put two of these helmets into the trunk. If you are thinking about buying one be sure to purchase the Series 2 as several improvements were made to the helmet over the first ones produced.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I now have one on order. I tried one on locally and found a small is what fits best. This surprised me because my Shoei 1100 is a large, and the Scorpion full face my wife no wheres is an extra large. I googled Shark Evoline and was able to get it for $318.95. It should be here by the middle of next week!

Has anyone wore it in cold and or cool rainy weather? I was wondering how well it stayed fog free!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Got it, love it! Going on two years now. Very comfortable fit for my particular mellon.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Do a quick search. There have been several threads about that helmet in the last few months.

As I remember, it got mostly positive reviews from our members.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Think you will be happy. I've had all three generations.
Make sure you get new ST. It already has the cut out for speakers.

greg

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the links Joe!
I appreciate the info from everyone

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got conformation from Cli-Max Riding Gear that my helmet has been shipped.

It is an Evoline 2 ST Fusion!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love it, one thing to note is they run small, I normally take a large in other helmets but had to go to a med in the shark. Best helmet out there on the Modular side.

Sorry see that was already brought up.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The Shark is the best helmet I have ever had !

We just finished a 2000 mile trip and it worked great with the combination of ways you can wear it. With sunglasses on and the sunvisor down it makes riding in the bright sun more comfortable.

The only drawback is mine seems to scratch the inner sunvisor right in the middle. I found a place that has the replacements pretty cheap so I bought 6 of them.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Is anyone concerned about riding with your chin/teeth/jaws in the direct line of punishment with the asphalt or other solid materials that one tends to come into contact with in an accident? I used to ride in a half helmet, graduated to a 3/4 and then went to a modular and dont feel safe without the chin guard down now. Am I the only one that feels it kinda silly to wear safety jackets with armor to protect against road rash but leaving your jaw/teeth exposed to horrific and expensive dental and bone damage?

Dont take this as a "I know better than you", because Im still learning every day, but Im just curious as the your thinking on the matter and why this does not concern some of you. Its kinda like playing football today without the guard to protect your teeth/chin/nose...asking for some additional pain, suffering and expense in that manner. Once you get used to the chin guard, it is a great safety feature. The Shark helmet has taken the riding community by storm but I usually see the guard in the "out of the way" mode except in winter. OK....go ahead...Im braced for the following posts that tell me to mind my own business!

P.S. Nearly all modular helmets offer the interior sun shade, so that is no real exceptional benefit to this helmet.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is anyone concerned about riding with your chin/teeth/jaws in the direct line of punishment with the asphalt or other solid materials that one tends to come into contact with in an accident? I used to ride in a half helmet, graduated to a 3/4 and then went to a modular and dont feel safe without the chin guard down now. Am I the only one that feels it kinda silly to wear safety jackets with armor to protect against road rash but leaving your jaw/teeth exposed to horrific and expensive dental and bone damage?

Dont take this as a "I know better than you", because Im still learning every day, but Im just curious as the your thinking on the matter and why this does not concern some of you. Its kinda like playing football today without the guard to protect your teeth/chin/nose...asking for some additional pain, suffering and expense in that manner. Once you get used to the chin guard, it is a great safety feature. The Shark helmet has taken the riding community by storm but I usually see the guard in the "out of the way" mode except in winter. OK....go ahead...Im braced for the following posts that tell me to mind my own business!

P.S. Nearly all modular helmets offer the interior sun shade, so that is no real exceptional benefit to this helmet.
I agree with you 100%! For me I decided a couple of years ago that a full face helmet is the way to go. Everyone has to decide what is right for them!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The wife and I both have Shark Evoline helmets. We love them.

Yes a full non-opening helmet is safer, but the Shark is a full face if you use it. More convenient than just flipping up the front of a modular, and when I want to endanger my jaw etc, I can. My choice.

Nice thing is I always have a rain capable helmet when I need it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts