GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 6500 miles on my 1800 Touring and this is the second time it has completely let me down. Again it's a no start problem with a completely dead screen. Battery and fob both good. Last time it took six weeks to get it fixed. This is this Goldwings last shot. One more and she is history. My Rocket 3 Touring in 70000 miles never let me stranded. I'm staring to hate this bike.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What part failed the first time this happened? Hopefully the dealer will fix it quicker this time.

·
Registered
'21 GW Tour, 'O6 GL1800
505 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. It must be frustrating to buy a supposedly "reliable" bike and see it in the shop most of the time. My experience is that Gold wings are very reliable and that is a primary reason I have owned 8 of them. I have only had one let me down...a broken ignition switch.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I only have 6500 miles on my 1800 Touring and this is the second time it has completely let me down. Again it's a no start problem with a completely dead screen. Battery and fob both good. Last time it took six weeks to get it fixed. This is this Goldwings last shot. One more and she is history. My Rocket 3 Touring in 70000 miles never let me stranded. I'm staring to hate this bike.
How do you know the battery is good?
Dead display is a sure sign the battery is the problem.
The newer Goldwings are very particular on the battery conditions.
Must be fully charged , tight connections and 12.7-8 VDC.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The dealer just replaced the battery on by 6-month-old DCT Tour. It had a bad cell and would not hold a charge or start the bike.

Reactions: igetaround

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
It was a bad switch on right handlebar that they said some of their switches were having issues with water penitration. The bike has seen rain since that new switch was installed.
Man that's too bad. Unbelievably good reliability is one of the best features of the GL1800. I would involve the regional Honda rep to ensure your problem gets the attention it deserves and you become another satisfied GW owner.

·
Registered
972 Posts
What year is your bike?

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,244 Posts
Welcome. People here will try to help you. Tell us more about what's going on.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What year is it? 2018 are known to have some Yuasa bad batch battery issues. If so ? Buy a new battery. Cheap to buy compared to other parts on the bike. Get another Yuasa or Deka.
good luck. D

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Were all here too help you.............What was the problem the first time???
Do you use a battery maintainer plugg'd into your battery when not in use?? I use one everytime I pull into my garage....
just a suggestion here:

Ronnie
6/13/22

Reactions: igetaround

·
Registered
277 Posts
Man sorry to hear about your issues. !20k on my 2012 and never had an issue besides regular maint and tires. I wash mine regularly too but I have no nozzle on my hose when I do it so the water just slowly runs out. Plus in South Florida I have driven through some heavy downpours as I ride daily as its my work transportation. I hope its something simple as stated above it does sound like a battery. I wish you the best

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sorry about the problems you're having with your bike.
I had a 2005 GL1800 and when it ran, it ran great. I loved that bike....until I started having problems. It was so frustrating having so much work done on the bike.
If it wasn't one thing, it was another, yet my friends with their Goldwings, would ride year after year and never have any problems. The lemon law wouldn't work for me because it had to be the same problem fixed more than 3 times, and I had different problems each time. Finally broke down and left me stranded the last time and I took it down and traded it in. After 4 years, I still don't regret it. I always have ridden Hondas and they make great bikes, but after thinking for a while, they can't make everyone perfect! Good luck and I hope you have many trouble free miles.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts