GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...the wife thought I was crazy before. Now she has no doubt!

I picked up my "New to me" '06 yesterday and rode it home from the dealer. Today I took it out on a 30 mile shakedown run. As of 8:30 P.M. it's in the garage with the seat, dash, top shelter, and front cowl removed.

The cruise needs adjusted. I want to check the air filter. The driving lights have too much of a gap to the front cowl. There's no better way to detail a bike than one peice at a time. etc etc.

I do my own wrenching andhave no idea of how well the prior owner took care of it. If I tear this baby down to the frame and put it back together knowing every bolt and screw is properly torqued, then it will be mine.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
New too

I did the same thing after I picked up my "new to me" 2004.

Did oil, coolant, final drive oil and adjusted a bunch of stuff.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I like buying them new too.... But, like Red said --> "It's a Motorcycle! " It's meant to have fun with.

That being said, I'm a pretty firm believer that the bike will tell you that it's not happy well before anything 'bad' happening (well, Ok, I'd change the oil, filter, air cleaner and final drive oil as a first order of business when buying a new bike).

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Registered
438 Posts
Think that's bad, I did nearly the same with a new off the showroom floor '08 back in September. When I purchased the bike the left side radiator fan was unplugged and was down as far as shelter removal to find the connector that was unplugged. Of course while I was there I did adjust the cruise too as it bothered me the whole way home.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
:congrats:eek:n your new ride

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Maybe your wife is smarter than you give her credit for!

You could spend all that time with her shopping and such !

:congrats:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Lucky,

Good on ya.

Working on them and cleaning them up, is just another aspect of the total enjoyment, for some of us.

Hope to see you at Catscade this year.

Bulldog

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
:congrats: on the new bike.....ain't it great getting a new one and playing around with it...the bike that is...

·
Registered
687 Posts
3turtles:

"FINALLY, the Army decided. I am IN FACT, moving to work in Green Bay, Wi at the end of May. 'bout damn time!"

So what the heck is the Army sending you to Green Bay for, or are you callig it quits and being demoted to a PFC (Proud Freaking Civilian). :p

·
Registered
687 Posts
3turtles:

FINALLY, the Army decided. I am IN FACT, moving to work in Green Bay, Wi at the end of May. 'bout damn time!

So what the heck is the Army sending you to Green Bay for, or are you callig it quits and being demoted to a PFC (Proud Freaking Civilian). :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like buying em New.:nojoke:
Not having anything better to do in the snow and ice, I've been going over (tearing apart ;-):-D) my brand new '09. I've found several bolts and screws that were barely more than finger tight. I had many farkes added at the dealership, so I'm not fingering Mother Honda, but just because it's new doesn't always mean it's right.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I consider all this tearing it apart and putting it back together a bonding experience! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
We Understand.:congrats::thumbup:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Lucky

I checked the Key to see of it turned it on, and went from there, 8 or 9 months later I slowed down enough to look to see if most of it was still attached, it was so I went until late Jan, and Feb to get the wrenches out.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts