GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant make sense out of experimenting with replacement seats on my budget, and my wife would kill me if I lost the heated seat function on the process, so I'm keeping the OEM seat. Bottom line its too hard on a bony butt. If there was one replacement seat that got even 70% positive comments I might go for it, but it appears to be a coin toss. But the seat is increasingly uncomfortable. I have an air hawk under me and that helps a lot. Last year I saw a guy with a sheepskin on his seat and an airhawk on top. I talked to him and he does lots of long distance riding and was in my age class.

For those of you with experience using a sheepskin as padding, where did you buy it? Are there vendors who make them specifically for the GL? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
523 Posts
Been doing long distance riding for years and have tried seat coverings that include:
  • Rubber pads
  • Gel pads
  • Air pads
  • Various pillows
  • Assorted dead animals
  • On & on
Most of my riding as for most of us is in warm / hot weather. First big key to comfort is keeping your skin dry. If you are wearing cotton underwear and cotton jeans this is the first big problem. You have to be wearing materials that wick moisture away from the skin like Under Armour or similar but less expensive alternatives.

After years of trying all available seat coverings, I've settled on Seat Beads by BeadRider.com. The bead covering promotes air flow between you and your seat to keep you dry. I also think the seat beads help to promote circulation to further minimize discomfort.

With beads you won't be sitting in a puddle of water when it rains. In hot weather, instead of your A** sticking to your underwear, which is sticking to your jeans, which are sticking to your seat covering, you will be able to easily shift your seating position.

Lastly, after your bike has set in the Hot Sun and your seat is thoroughly 'Heat Soaked", the beads separate you from that Hot Seat.

Purchased these beads in 2013, used them on my F6B and now on my 2018 DCT.

Ultimate BeadRider Front Seat 15"x15" at the Rider Position
Ultimate BeadRider Front Seat 11"x11" at the Passenger Position facing rearward.

I think the 11"x11" beads are recommended for the front seat on a Sportster but fits great at the Goldwing passenger position.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I used sheepskins on my 2013 before I got my ultimate seat. I thought they worked great. The reason for the ultimate was for increased leg room. I got the tall seat.

I made my sheepskin pads from some sheepskin rugs I bought from Costco. They came in a variety of colors. I made front and rear seat pads as well as several pet beds from one rug for about $100. I just placed them on the seat when I rode. Threw them in the trunk when not riding. I never strapped them on or anything,

I believe Costco has since changed to faux sheepskin rugs and no longer sell the real ones, but not sure.

Prior to the sheepskin I used an airhawk pad. It went flat because because the valve stem failed. Airhawk replaced it under warranty. During my warranty claim is when I made the sheepskins because I was headed on a trip. I preferred the sheepskins over the airhawk and never went back.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the detail. A riding friend used beads for years. I wear all sorts of comfortable pants primarily Duluth light weight wicking with crotch gussets so I'm not suffering from discomfort that way. I agree about blue jeans with a tight belt especially bad. HA HA Assorted dead animals.... I'm most interested in solutions for bony butt syndrome. I tried a gel pad from New York (forget the name) that was very expensive and my wife uses both under her, but it wasn't much softer than the seat in my opinion.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used sheepskins on my 2013 before I got my ultimate seat. I thought they worked great. The reason for the ultimate was for increased leg room. I got the tall seat.

I made my sheepskin pads from some sheepskin rugs I bought from Costco. They came in a variety of colors. I made front and rear seat pads as well as several pet beds from one rug for about $100. I just placed them on the seat when I rode. Threw them in the trunk when not riding. I never strapped them on or anything,

I believe Costco has since changed to faux sheepskin rugs and no longer sell the real ones, but not sure.

Prior to the sheepskin I used an airhawk pad. It went flat because because the valve stem failed. Airhawk repkaced it under warranty. During my warranty claim is when I made the sheepskins because I was headed on a trip. I preferred the sheepskins over the airhawk and never went back.
The guy I talked to at Kinzu Bridge and few years ago swore by the sheepskin with an air hawk. I think of these sorts of things while i'm doing overnighters . This time I'm acting on it and doing SOMETHING!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I've had great luck with Sheepskin Seat covers from Alaska Leathers. For the life of me I have no idea why they should make the positive difference that they do . . . but they definitely do work for me. I use them on both my Goldwing and the Harley with excellent results on either bike. I also purchased an AirHawk a couple of years ago. It also works as advertised; but for anything like 95% of the riding that I do (150-250 mile local day rides) I prefer the Sheepskins.

Reactions: 93interstater

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been doing long distance riding for years and have tried seat coverings that include:
  • Rubber pads
  • Gel pads
  • Air pads
  • Various pillows
  • Assorted dead animals
  • On & on
Most of my riding as for most of us is in warm / hot weather. First big key to comfort is keeping your skin dry. If you are wearing cotton underwear and cotton jeans this is the first big problem. You have to be wearing materials that wick moisture away from the skin like Under Armour or similar but less expensive alternatives.

After years of trying all available seat coverings, I've settled on Seat Beads by BeadRider.com. The bead covering promotes air flow between you and your seat to keep you dry. I also think the seat beads help to promote circulation to further minimize discomfort.

With beads you won't be sitting in a puddle of water when it rains. In hot weather, instead of your A** sticking to your underwear, which is sticking to your jeans, which are sticking to your seat covering, you will be able to easily shift your seating position.

Lastly, after your bike has set in the Hot Sun and your seat is thoroughly 'Heat Soaked", the beads separate you from that Hot Seat.

View attachment 369884

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
book marked their site BEADS . Will call about sizing questions. Seems like it might be good to try swapping a few things occasionally

·
Registered
340 Posts
The beads and sheepskin are good for a while but if ya change them off and on at each gas stop it's a nice change of seating.
I have an Air Hawk and really don't like it. I've tried quite a few inflation levels but it still feels hard as a rock, even when I put the sheep skin over it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I went to thepropad.com and ordered these 2 GEL pads about 3-4 years ago and like them. One for me and one for my bride in back of me. Later that year we were in the Black Hills of SD and a guy was selling sheep skins and we bought a long haired one and put that on top of the pads and still use it like that to this day.
Works for us.
Your Order Contains...
Cart ItemsSKUQtyItem Price
Item Total​
Large Tech Series Gel Pro Pad65011$99.95 USD
$99.95 USD
SuprCruzr Tech Series Gel Pro Pad65041$119.95 USD
$119.95 USD

Reactions: 93interstater

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We already have some state of the art gel pads so I'm thinking a long haired set of sheeps pads. I guess the sheared version is not as much padding?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Question, I've got bony butt syndrome and I've always wondered how those hard beads on your butt would make it comfortable. I bought an inflatable air cushion from REI sporting goods and it makes the ride better. I've never had a problem with the stock seat even on multiple 750-1000 mi riding days but last year I noticed I could use a little more cushion under me. I really don't want to keep stacking things on the seat and raising up my legs touching the ground at stops.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Question, I've got bony butt syndrome and I've always wondered how those hard beads on your butt would make it comfortable.
  1. The beads provide air circulation to keep your skin cool & dry where it counts on long hot rides
  2. The beads actually help to dissipate pressure points (they do not feel hard when sitting on them)
  3. I think the beads provide improved circulation which improves comfort after hours in the saddle.
  4. Not sitting in a puddle of water when it rains and not sitting on a wet seat for the next 3 days.
  5. A "Heat Soaked" seat from sun is much cooler to sit on when it has a BeadRider on it.
Put a BeadRider on any seat and it will be more comfortable.I'm not affiliated with BeadRider in any way.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
We already have some state of the art gel pads so I'm thinking a long haired set of sheeps pads. I guess the sheared version is not as much padding?
Yes, you definitely want the long hair versions.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Question, I've got bony butt syndrome and I've always wondered how those hard beads on your butt would make it comfortable. I bought an inflatable air cushion from REI sporting goods and it makes the ride better. I've never had a problem with the stock seat even on multiple 750-1000 mi riding days but last year I noticed I could use a little more cushion under me. I really don't want to keep stacking things on the seat and raising up my legs touching the ground at stops.
Have you thought about rebuilding the foam of your stock seat. I did it on a GL1500 and a 2008 GL1800. It made a big difference and I may do it on my 2016..

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
852 Posts
I went to Amazon and bought a small sheep skin rug (make sure it's not the "faux" ones). I then cut it with regular scissors to the size I wanted for both the front and rear seats. I then cut the length of the wool to the height I wanted (makes a mess, so you might want to do this outside). I think it cost $60 or $70.

For me here is Houston and in other places with both high heat and humidity, they don't work as well as places with just one. In north Texas, I loved my sheep skin seat covers on my old '82 Aspencade. But not so much down here in SE texas.

YMMV

1 - 18 of 18 Posts