GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Sheila's return home over the last several hours. I don't know what you can averge in a Cessna 150 block time for 1775 miles, but I would bet it would not be less than she took, depending on its legs.

She will probably post her time after she has had some shut eye.

She has ridden a half year and 9 days. I think she has a good shot at the overall record, which I think is 127,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Tom,
I know its been posted before, but where can I go to view her progress and such. Thanks

Trialsman

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trialsman

It is here:
User name is sheilasgrandtour

The password is gl1800

Probably best not to stay logged on for long periods. I do not know what loads the server down, but I suspect it is a lot of people on it at one time.

Sheila is probably resting now, so it may not show anything.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There you go, George! It worked. Just need to draw you out so I could see my girlfriend on your avatar. :lol:

I see Dale read your post and put the Star Traxx url up.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fred,
Sheila got home yesterday. I would rather she posted her time but I can tell you it was 1775 fast miles.

·
Road Warrior
1,323 Posts
Hi every one, been getting ready to leave again and sleeping.
The total trip was 2400 miles in about 44 hours.
The second leg of the trip was 1775 miles done in 26 1/2 hours. Not really what I would recommend, but wanted to see hubby before he had to go to work. :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
motorcyclemom40 said:
Hi every one, been getting ready to leave again and sleeping.
The total trip was 2400 miles in about 44 hours.
The second leg of the trip was 1775 miles done in 26 1/2 hours. Not really what I would recommend, but wanted to see hubby before he had to go to work. :)
Sheila, you are definitely the (wo)man! :yes:

When are you visiting Jon again?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sheila really puts on the miles on top of miles. She is probably over 65,000 since March when she came to get the Tailwind.

She and I both crossed 100,000 miles on our 04 bikes about the same time but she has zoomed by. What is amazing is how alert she is after a 20 to 30 hour ride.

Last time she was in this area, we met for a burger and she had ridden 2400 miles in a lot less than two days with a short stay in Truth or Consequences. She was really like she had not ridden at all. To top it off, whe was pulling the damaged Tailwind that was running out to the isde because of its 35 mph pickup side impact.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If I tried doing that driving my truck and got caught by the DOT. Huge fine and shut down right there. Plus would be tied to truck wheel and pistol-whipped. Hope she doesn't have an accident from fatigue. Not trying too be a busy body but safety should be considered.

·
Registered
788 Posts
alphadog said:
If I tried doing that driving my truck and got caught by the DOT. Huge fine and shut down right there. Plus would be tied to truck wheel and pistol-whipped. Hope she doesn't have an accident from fatigue. Not trying too be a busy body but safety should be considered.
I've met Sheila several times and she knows exactly what she is doing. She is absolutely tireless. Us mortal men pale by comparison. :wink:

One of her tricks is to NOT use cruise control, so that she can detect when she can't keep an even pace from fatigue. When the speed varies, it's nap time.

As for me, 8 hours saddle time is pretty much my limit, but have been known to clock 12 hours of saddle time (with breaks and meals adding a couple more hours).

I believe that we all have different tolerance levels to fatigue. That's why there are iron-butts types and people like myself that have to get off the bike every hour or so.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alphadog,
What does a long haul driver do a year? I have always had to work and the most I have done in a year is 49,000.

I have done Orlando to San Antonio, Salt Lake city to San Antonio, San Antonio to Los Angeles, Benton Arkansas to Toronto with a dinner stop, Knoxville to San Antonio, and some of those legs in one day, but I was not near as alert as Sheila is when I got there.

I will admit that at 70 years old, age may have a little to do with me being a little more tired.

Sheila is an inspiration to many of us. She is the first rider that I felt I may have a hard time keeping up with on a long trip. Many riders would run off and leave me but fewer after 20 hours or so.

Here is a shot of Sheila doing her thing.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ditches are full of people who know their tolerance. When I was young I drove 1000 or 1500 miles non-stop. no potty stops, naps, or drugs only stop fer fuel. Davenport, Ia. to LA and back non stop. Thought I was fully alert and not sleepy until I blacked out and come within inches of hitting a overpass at 70 mph. Woke up at last possible moment. Was I wide awake and alert?? I thought so, but I learned my lesson. I thought I was Iron Man, but found out I was only human.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Tom, a driver can log roughly 600 miles a day, 7 days a week. I didn't mean to put Sheila's driving feats down, just hope she doesn't have a problem. I wish I could ride bike full time instead of driving truck full time! I got the 02 wing, 06 stratoliner S, and I want to get a FJR next. Then I think I would just about have all the bases covered as far as bikes for every mood I am in when I get home. I do about 120,000 in the truck and about 8,000 to 10,000 on the bikes. Not to bad for a full time trucker living in IL.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Since I haven't had the opportunity to take any long trips on the Wing yet, I can only imagine the fortitude it takes to do what Sheila has done.
And she's not even finished!

I want to be like her when I grow up. :D

Dep

1 - 20 of 31 Posts