GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any reliable data on just how long a new wing tire can be stored before it becomes less safe to use?

What are the best conditions under which a tire should be stored for the maximum shelf life?

With the tire shortage looking like it will hang on for awhile, I am thinking about laying a set back.

This summer, due to the shortage, I was forced to mount a set of Metzler tires on my wing.

I experienced 700 miles of pure terror, before I could replace them.

I just don't want to go through that again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I do not have any data to support this information but would say if kept out of any sunlight (direct or reflective), you should be able to keep tires on a shelf for several months without any problems. In fact, I think even a couple years would not alarm me if kept covered in a cool place.

I better go put on my armor because I can already see what is coming for that last statement.

Like I said, I have no scientific data to support anything. I do know that when I sold car tires back several years ago, we kept them in a dark warehouse until sold. Sometimes years if not a popular model.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IMHO .. a tire can be stored properly for at least a year.. they last that long on a bike and its exposed to the elements..

I have a rear tire mounted on a rim stored in my shop inside a large sealed black plastic bag... its been there for about 6 months.. why would it not be still safe to use in lets say another 6 months ?

cosmic

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Get them out off the heat and out of the sunlight. JMHO, not that I have had a pair that long to worry about!

Shadow1
Hal

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Never seen a expiration date on a tire only on milk"lol"
Hazle

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
On my XJ700, the tires were 15 years old and not one bit of wobble.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I took off my rear Metz so I could shine the crap out of my OE wheel. I put on the spare wheel and tire that I purchased a few months back.

The wheel and tire were off an '02 1800. The tire was the original Stone 704 with maybe a thousand miles on it. Manufacture date was in '01.

I know for a fact the tire had been stored properly. I looked it over extremely well and put it on. I've ridden it probably 2,000 miles, some near triple digit speeds and some hard corners. It has performed flawlessly and felt fine.

I plan on taking it off when the wear bars are close. That should be about the time the front will be ready.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Car, truck, and RV tires shouldn't be used after they're 7 years old, based upon the date stamp on the tire. This is according to the tire manufacturers. Don't know if bike tires are the same, but I would imagine so. Check with the tire manufacturer to be sure.
Cracking doesn't have to be visible for the tire to blow out on you. It happened to us in an RV, drivers side front. :crew: If the guy in the left-hand lane had not been very quick, we would all be in a mess.

David M.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts